11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 12:22 AM by Mylenium

Runtime Error

midniteSolar

When I start up After Effects CS5.5 the error below is thrown. After Effects will open but this error window stays open and After Effects will lock when I click on an asset to view the thumbnail. Any help would be appreciated!

Microsoft visual C++ Runtime Library
      Runtime Error
      Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\...

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
      Please contact the application's supoort tiema for more information.

• 1. Re: Runtime Error
          Jonas Hummelstrand Level 2

As our mind-reading abilities are limited, the only thing we can read from that is that you are on Windows.

"My car doesn't work!"

"If you describe the problem, when it happens, if the car has been changed or modified, if it was running before you changed something, and any other relevant information such as what kind of car it is, I'm sure we can help you!"

"OK – my car doesn't work!"

• 2. Re: Runtime Error
            midniteSolar Level 1

Sorry, yes I'm on windows, 16 g of ram. The error message that is displayed is all that's shown. Please forgive my typos. What else can I tell you that would help?

• 3. Re: Runtime Error

Start by answering the "car" questions that I asked.

Here's what I normally tell people that ask questions on the CasparCG

forum http://casparcg.com/forum I monitor:

Please list as many details of your system, version and what you are

trying to do and how the bug manifests itself.

In order for us to be able to help you, please describe what you are

trying to do, what happens and what you expected to happen.

• Here are some examples of the minimum amount of info we need:

• Does it crash when you start it or after running for two weeks?

• Do you get the same problem every time or only occasionally?

• Has it just started give you problems after running smoothly for a

year, or has it never worked?

• Have you recently changed anything on the computer, such as changing

anything about the hardware, installed a patch or new software or

updated the OS?

• What versions of the OS and all related software (QuickTime

etcetera) are you running?

• What video card(s) are you using, including driver versions?

• What exact error messages are you getting, and when are you getting them?

Please attach screenshots, screen capture videos, the files you are

using, and more which show your problems and/or what you are trying to

accomplish.

Our mind-reading abilities are limited, so the more you can tell us,

the greater the chance that someone will be able to help you!

• 4. Re: Runtime Error
                midniteSolar Level 1

Thank you for your patience!

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

System Manufacturer Alienware

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2637M CPU @ 1.70GHz, 1701 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 13.6 GB

Total Virtual Memory 31.9 GB

Available Virtual Memory 29.2 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

I installed Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Premium a few months back but did not use it until yesterday. It installed ok. Now when I open up After Effects the error message below is thrown:

Microsoft visual C++ Runtime Library
                Runtime Error
                Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\...

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
                Please contact the application's suport team for more information.

There is no error number, just what you see. This error is not thrown when I open up Flash but is thrown everytime AE opens. AE looks like it opens normally, I can import assets but when I click on one to see the thumbnail AE freezes up.

Hope this is better!

• 5. Re: Runtime Error

Well, it's a start, but you didn't answer a lot of the questions.

So AE has never worked properly on this machine?

What version of QuickTime do you have installed?

• 6. Re: Runtime Error
                    midniteSolar Level 1

I have QuickTime 7.7.2

I don't know if AE worked when I first installed it because I didn't use it for several months after it was installed. I just know that when I opened it up yesterday I had the issues I discussed. I also uninstalled and reinstalled AE to see if that made a difference, it didn't. I wish I had opened it up initially. This morning I went to Adobe Chat and they sent me to

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/microsoft-visual-c-runtime-error.html

This was no help because I don't believe I had an installation problem.

• 7. Re: Runtime Error

You should follow those instructions. Since AE has never launched, it may

very well be an installation problem anyway. Sorry...

• 8. Re: Runtime Error
                        midniteSolar Level 1

That procedure is for XP and doesn't pertain to 7. I'll take another look at it. Thanks

• 9. Re: Runtime Error
                          rgDad

Jonas, I uninstalled AE and followed the procedures for installing AE with only essentual services. No change. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

• 10. Re: Runtime Error

Are you the same guy as "midniteSolar" with the exact same machine?

If you've tried all the suggested solution, I'd call Adobe or rather

just re-install my OS. Bite the bullet, somethings wrong with your

machine...

• 11. Re: Runtime Error
                              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Check the Windows Event Viewer for the fault module. Runtime errors are usually driver crashes, so update your stuff, particularly your graphics and audio drivers. AE is one hyper-sensitive mofo with that stuff...

Mylenium