3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2012 7:50 AM by andi_urra

Weird colors and artifacts on imported H.264 footage

andi_urra Level 1

Hi, I got handed some Canon 5D footage that shows weird colors in Premiere Pro. As far as I know the clips have been trimmed but not recoded (not sure how that was done). However, Quicktime Player does play the clip correctly (but shows a green frame at the beginning). VLC also plays the clip correctly. What could be the problem in Premiere and how could this problem be bypassed best? There are hundreds of clips, so it would be great not to have to recode everything.

H264_Import_Problem.jpg

Funnily enough, I came across the exact same problem with a screen recording that I got handed today, which was done with VLC on a windows machine.

Regards,

Andreas

• 1. Re: Weird colors and artifacts on imported H.264 footage
          Jim_Simon Level 8

clips have been trimmed but not recoded

Try working with the original, unaltered media.

• 2. Re: Weird colors and artifacts on imported H.264 footage
            andi_urra Level 1

Unfortunaltely, this is not possible. Especially in the case of the VLC screen recording, because that is already the original.

• 3. Re: Weird colors and artifacts on imported H.264 footage
              andi_urra Level 1

A follow up question to that: The person who sends me the VLC screen recordings told me that he can adjust the following parameters. Which of those (if any) can help fix that problem?

* keyint=<number of frames> allows to set the maximal amount of frames between 2 key frames;

* idrint=<number of frames> allows to set the maximal amount of frames between 2 IDR frames;

* bframes=<amount of frames> allows to set the amount of B frames between an I and a P frame;

* qp=<quantizer parameter> allows to specify a fixed quantizer (between 1 and 51);

* qp-max=<quantizer parameter> allows to set the maximum value for the quantizer;

* qp-min=<quantizer parameter> allows to set the minimum value for the quantizer;

* cabac enables the CABAC (Context-Adaptive Binary Arithmetic Coding) algorithm (slower, but enhances quality);

* loopfilter enables deblocking loop filter;

* analyse enables the analyze mode;

* frameref=<amount of frames> allows to set the number of previous frames used as predictors;

* scenecut=<sensibility> allows to control how aggressively the encoder should insert extra I-frame, on scene change.