3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 7:17 PM by Ned Murphy

Drawings in CS6 are broken apart

ExudesAffluence

I'll apologize for not being good at the technical terms, but I just upgraded to CS6. Now, every time I draw a shape, be it with the pen tool or shape tool or whatever, the shape is broken apart by default, and automatically merges with any shape it's drawn over. This wasn't a problem I had with 5.5. How can I fix it so that shapes stay shapes?

• 1. Re: Drawings in CS6 are broken apart
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In my experience, what you are describing has always been how drawn shapes are managed by default.  If you want a shape to not merge with another shape, then you need to draw it on a separate layer or group the shape or convert it to a symbol.

I am not able to find any option to have shapes automatically turn into grouped items/symbols.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Drawings in CS6 are broken apart
            ExudesAffluence Level 1

Edit - actually, scratch that. Seems I had merge drawing on, which to be honest is something I didn't know existed. Sorry about the confusion, but I've figured it out.

I probably should have included some screen shots.

http://i.imgur.com/4vvqo.png?1

So when I draw my shapes, the lines and fills are by default not connected. Is this just default in CS6? I never had this problem in 5.5; the lines and fills automatically created a union.

• 3. Re: Drawings in CS6 are broken apart
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm as curious as you at the moment.  While I don't experiment much with new features since the old ones work as well as I've learned of them, I have never experienced having thing automatically joined as a group. 

Anything I have ever drawn using the shape tools has involved only the raw drawn shapes/outlines.  If I draw a rectange with an outline I can drag the fill and leabe the border behind.  Or if I draw another shape atop it, it erases the portion of the shape it covers. 

Where is the "merge drawing" thing you say you had on?