4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 3:14 PM by Jeff S GP2

Change font style in subtitles?

Jeff S GP2 Level 1

Hello,

I've been following a tutorial on embedding subtitles into a video through premiere, using the content analyze function.  Once embedded, the video is then brought into After Effect, whereby subtitles are displayed through the use of an expression on a text layer.

This works great!

Two questions:

1: is there a way to change the font style ( ie italic or bold) within the embedded text itself?  I know i can duplicate the layers, change each layers font style, then hide, unhide areas of the text layers...  but It would be more efficient to do this within the embedded text.

2 Is there a way to convert the embedded subtitle into an .srt format?

Thanks for any help

Jeff

• 1. Re: Change font style in subtitles?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The text is just meta data without any formatting, so there is no persistent way to italicize or biold text. And expressions cannot access font properties in the first place, so that settles that. Converting to SRT is no doubt possible by exporting the analysis text from Premiere as a text file and importing it into a subtitling tool.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Change font style in subtitles?
            Jeff S GP2 Level 1

Thanks Mylenium

I appreciate the response.

Regarding your answer to export the analyzed text as a text file.  Is this something that can be done?  Can Premiere take the analyzed video with text and export this as a proper SRT format (including time codes etc.) or are you suggesting to simply. copy the text manually and paste this into notepad?

I already have a text dialogue script, which I used in conjunction with Premieres' Analyze Content.  This is what created my initial meta data, but I'm' hoping there's a way to export this as an srt file, considering all the information and time code is already embedded!

As mentioned, I'm able to bring my current file into After Effects, but I'd like to utilized various font styles.  Interesting enough, a script (PT_ImportSubtitles)  found on aesripts.com, seems to utilize srt files nicely.  I was hoping to achieve the same functionality..

thanks

Jeff

• 3. Re: Change font style in subtitles?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The text can be copy&pasted into a text editor from the analysis panel and from there you can import it in subtitling tools as a text file. Not aware of an "Adobe way" to do it, but then again, as an Avid user I rarely ever fire up Premiere...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Change font style in subtitles?
                Jeff S GP2 Level 1

Thanks, Mylenium

good to know.