Heading 1

Sub-Heading 1

Sub-Heading 2

Sub-Heading 3

Heading 2

Sub-Heading 1

Sub-Heading 2

Sub-Heading 3

//Rinse and Repeat H1-HX (or just repeat)

Sub-Headings don't require number to be displayed. What is setup/code for this?

Thx

//Note to Adobe: Still incrementing the total page/post "views" including those of the poster? (i.e., not excluding the original poster views of his/her post from the total page views)?? Wow, that's extremely useful...

• 1. Re: (famous) numbered lists
          bitdrop Level 1

Even the forums can't make sense of it..

• 2. Re: (famous) numbered lists
            Michael Gianino Level 4

I've never done a list that is this detailed, so I can't help you with the coding that will make it entirely automatic. You will need one paragraph style for the heading, one for the subheading (those are easy enough to do), but in order to get the third style, I can only think of the manual method, that will require a different paragraph style for each subhead groups.

What I mean is that you would have a style whose Number Style Format was 01,02,03, and whose Number Style Number was 01.01.^#.^t

You would need another with the same format, but a number of 01.02.^#.^t for the second subhead of head 1, and so on for each subhead of head 1. You would then have to make all of those styles with 02.01.^#.^t for the next head, and after all that manual entry, you wouldn't be a whole lot better off than if you had just keyed in all the numbers into the text. If there is a way to do all of these with one style, where the code will change numbers in sets, rather than all numbers at one time, I don't know of it (but someone may).

• 3. Re: (famous) numbered lists
              Michael Gianino Level 4

Here's an example of what I mean. I made this in a few minutes, and it required 8 different paragraph styles to cover very little ground. If you save the text attached to the posted link, you can import it and see what I did, but it's probably not going to give you any information you don't already have. It's all done with only paragraph returns, so it's automatic to a point, but you'd have to build quite a few styles for this to work.

http://pastebin.com/VGc1Jj0P

P.S. I've never used Pastebin before, so I'm not sure if this code will work or not. There may be some extra or missing spaces or returns that need to be resolved, but I'm unfamiliar with this process. Anyone looking in who cares to set me straight will be appreciated.

• 4. Re: (famous) numbered lists
                peter minneapolis Level 4

bitdrop wrote:

Even the forums can't make sense of it..

Not many folks use complex numbering for multi-level lists in InDesign.  One possible reason is that they receive numbered content often, and don't author this kind of numbered content in InDesign.

If you haven't searched Google for terms like "indesign multiple multi-level numbered lists," without quotes, do.

It's complicated during the learning stages. "multi-level numbered list" is the key term.

It's helpful to write out exactly what you numbering result you expect from each level paragraph's style.

When I taught FrameMaker multi-level numbering, I found it helpful to think of each numeric placeholder ("counter" in FrameMaker-ese) as similar to arithmetic columns - thousands hundreds tens units. You need to keep the counters in their appropriate columns to understand what affects what. To help me explain, I'd create a table in which each row represented one paragraph style, each column represented the auto-number counter in that position, and each cell contained the numbering counters/placeholders and any text such as tab, period, etc. Seeing things in a matrix like this can clarify the system you're building and how it's expected to work.

[EDIT] Because you need to start numbered items from 00, you do need a separate paragraph style for the 00 item that's set to Start at 0 (it will appear as 00 with the leading-zero format.) Subsequent items in the list would all use the different paragraph style set to Continue from Previous. If the first item in the list is moved to a different position in the sequence, you need to manually apply the style for Continue From items, and apply the style for Start at 0 to the item that becomes the first item. The problem is that InDesign can't a list from 0, and it can't be tricked into starting with a negative like "-1," so that the next continuing paragraph becomes 0.

If starting from zero is important to you, post a request at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form. If enough requests come in, a future release may have that feature.[/EDIT]

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro

• 5. Re: (famous) numbered lists
                  bitdrop Level 1

Search Google, that makes sense when I'm already at Adobe.

This is just a hierarchical construct.  Doing this to X or N levels should not be an issue.  I'm (now not) surprised that Adobe can't accomodate this - really basic in coding.

Also, when cutting/pasting to another place in document why it doesn't inherit that new style automatically is amazing. Or, at least have an option for it to do so.

Swing and a MISS...

• 6. Re: (famous) numbered lists
                    bitdrop Level 1

MG wrote:

"...and after all that manual entry, you wouldn't be a whole lot better off than if you had just keyed in all the numbers into the text."

Yes, if there are only a few.  If there are tens for each then it may be worth making or, 100 or so (or more) subhead pstyles.

//I also find the second line hanging indent situation to be an outright joke.

• 7. Re: (famous) numbered lists
                      peter minneapolis Level 4

Google searches have been valuable to me because there's a world of useful knowledge beyond Adobe. Your mileage may vary.

As far as I can see, the main flaw in ID's numbered list regarding your requirement is the inability to start sequences at zero, so an extra paragraph style is needed for each sub-list.  For several ID releases, I've submitted several requests for numbered-list paragraph properties like first, last, notfirst, and notlast, that would number items, apply space before/after, etc, according to their position in the list sequence, so that moving an item would not require manual retagging.

Pasting with a styled target selection applies the selected target's style. Yes, an option to control the behavior would be great!

Many features in Adobe products originated in user requests. Consider posting formal feature requests.

We're all volunteers here, not Adobe employees or representatives. The best we can do to help is share our knowledge.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

bitdrop wrote:

Search Google, that makes sense when I'm already at Adobe.

This is just a hierarchical construct.  Doing this to X or N levels should not be an issue.  I'm (now not) surprised that Adobe can't accomodate this - really basic in coding.

Also, when cutting/pasting to another place in document why it doesn't inherit that new style automatically is amazing. Or, at least have an option for it to do so.

Swing and a MISS...

• 8. Re: (famous) numbered lists
                        Michael Gianino Level 4

bitdrop wrote:

//I also find the second line hanging indent situation to be an outright joke.

I don't understand what you mean by that. Can you explain?

• 9. Re: (famous) numbered lists
                          bitdrop Level 1

So the second line typed lines up with the first (bullet lists also).  Too quirky.

• 10. Re: (famous) numbered lists
                            Michael Gianino Level 4

I don't know what you mean. The first line in a hanging indent isn't supposed to line up with the second because the first is supposed to hang to the left of the rest of the paragraph. The second line of a bulleted paragraph lines up just fine for me.

Screen shot 2012-10-26 at 10.55.35 PM.png

• 11. Re: (famous) numbered lists
                              bitdrop Level 1

The first is supposed to hang to the left more than the rest of the paragraph? That's interesting.

Well, suppose in your example provided, one desired for all typed lines of text to align as they do excluding your first line, or as it does beginning at the bullet (and the following lines).  I suppose the procedure is the same for numbered lists as well.

What's the setup?

---

Back to my number sequencing, perhaps Adobe could look into multiple digits, such as:

Heading 1

Sub-Heading 1

Sub-Heading 2

Etc.

//For people that count over 100 and 1,000

• 12. Re: (famous) numbered lists
                                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Hanging first lines are entirely optional.

• 13. Re: (famous) numbered lists
                                  bitdrop Level 1

What does that mean?

I'm manually tab keying over, seems others are too.

• 14. Re: (famous) numbered lists
                                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As part of the paragraph style you can set a left indent to move the entire paragraph over, and a separate first line indent to indent the first line further or havit hang (a negative value). this is availalbe for any paragraph, not just lists.

The only time you should need a tab is when you do tabular data.

• 15. Re: (famous) numbered lists
                                      Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

If this is your goal:

NumList.jpg

You have to define 3 paragraph styles, where in "bullet&numbering" section:

1. head:

Level set to 1

Format set to 01,02,03...

Number set to ^#

characterStyle set to : white

2. subhead:

Level set to 2

Number set to ^#

characterStyle set to : white

3. subsub:

Level set to 3

Number set to:  ^1^.^2^.^#^m

characterStyle set to : none

You can modify paragraphs left indent/first line indent also.

Character style "white" is for setting white color to head and subhead numbers (unvisible)

enjoy

• 16. Re: (famous) numbered lists
                                        Michael Gianino Level 4

bitdrop wrote:

The first is supposed to hang to the left more than the rest of the paragraph? That's interesting.

Perhaps you have a different meaning for the term Hanging Indent. The following screen shot is taken from this link:

Screen shot 2012-10-29 at 12.52.49 AM.png