6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 12:19 PM by Manish-Sharma

Can we get the list of words with hyphenation breaking used in English:US dictionary?

SB Masthan

Hi,

I require list of words with hyphenation breaking used in English:US dictionary. I have reviewed in InDesign supporting files in my local folder but I couldn't get. Can anybody assist?

regards

Masthan

• 1. Re: Can we get the list of words with hyphenation breaking used in English:US dictionary?
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am 98% certain that no such list exists, because English is hyphenated by algorithm in InDesign, not by word list. Maybe there is a list buried somewhere in InDesign of some words, but I know that InDesign will happily hyphenate words that do not appear in any English dictionary anywhere, so it must be done by algorithm. Some evidence, in the form of English hyphenation in ID applied to Somali text:

Untitled.png

So I think that there is no English hyphenation list in ID. You can import one (and if one has been imported you should be able to go to Edit -> Spelling -> User Dictionary and Export it) but I am pretty sure that there is not a built-in list. But I typically perform all such work outside of InDesign, so I don't know this for a fact. It's just a hunch from years of looking at ID's bizarro hyphenation choices.

• 2. Re: Can we get the list of words with hyphenation breaking used in English:US dictionary?
            Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

InDesign uses Proximity dictionaries for most languages to verify spelling and to hyphenate words. You can add words to each dictionary to customize it. You can assign different languages to text, and InDesign uses the appropriate dictionary to handle spelling and hyphenation.

There are possible breakpoints the dictionary will consider and then show up in the InDesign , if you want to know between which two syllables Indesign’s dictionary prefers to hyphenate, and what other possible breakpoints the dictionary will consider.

1. Choose Edit > Spelling > User Dictionary.
            2. In the Language menu, choose a language. Each language contains at least one dictionary. If you want the word to be added to all languages, choose All Languages.
            3. In the Target menu, choose the dictionary where you want to store the word. The Target menu lets you store the changes in an external user dictionary or in any open document.
            4. In the Dictionary List menu, choose Added Words.
            5. In the Word box, type or edit the word to be added to the word list.
            6. Click Hyphenate to see the word’s default hyphenation. Tildes (~) indicate possible hyphenation points.
            7. If you don’t like the hyphenation points, follow these guidelines to indicate your preferred hyphenation of the word:
              • Type one tilde (~) to indicate the best possible hyphenation points, or the only acceptable hyphenation point, in the word.
              • Type two tildes (~~) to indicate your second choice.
              • Type three tildes (~~~) to indicate a poor but acceptable hyphenation point.
              • If you want the word never to be hyphenated, type a tilde before its first letter.

If you need to include an actual tilde in a word, type a backslash before the tilde (\~).

8. Click Add, and then click Done. The word is added to the currently selected Dictionary List.

Note: Remember that hyphenation points interact with the hyphenation settings in your documents. As a result, the word might not break where you expect it to. Control these settings by choosing Hyphenation in the Paragraph panel menu.

By default, hyphenation and spelling exceptions are located in user dictionary files stored outside the document on the computer where InDesign is installed (dictionary file names end with a .clam or .not extension). However, you can also store exception lists inside any InDesign document. In addition, you can store word lists in an external user dictionary, in the document, or in both. The location of existing dictionaries appears in the Dictionary preferences.

• 3. Re: Can we get the list of words with hyphenation breaking used in English:US dictionary?
              SB Masthan Level 1

Thanks for your information. I want to identify the differrence between InDesign's English:US hyphenation breakings and Webster hyphenation breakings. Is it feasible?

• 4. Re: Can we get the list of words with hyphenation breaking used in English:US dictionary?

InDesign doesn't use the Webster Dictionary, From Cs6 onward InDesign uses Proximity or Hunspell Dictionary.

I can't help you in knowing the about the hyphenation breakings between the 2 dictionaries but you can check online or someone here may be able to help you.

• 5. Re: Can we get the list of words with hyphenation breaking used in English:US dictionary?
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks for your information. I want to identify the differrence between InDesign's English:US hyphenation breakings and Webster hyphenation breakings. Is it feasible?

I suspect that it is not. Let me quote a few bits from the Proximity Technology page about their hyphenation products:

Hyphenation that predicts word-breaks without lists

Proximity Technology Hyphen software achieves high word-break accuracy, regardless of language. We have 100% accuracy for the entire college-level vocabulary in our spelling databases. When new words are encountered, our code automatically applies statistical modeling to predict correct word-break rules with better than 99% accuracy.

When Manish directs you to look for .not or .clam files, I think he is quoting from Adobe help about user dictionaries, not Proximity dictionaries. The Proximity stuff I was able to find on my hard drive was in a very different, non-human-readable format, with different file extensions. I have not been able to find any way to look at the "college-level vocabulary in [Proximity] spelling databases."

I find English hyphenation by Proximity to be sub-par. I'd be willing to bet that, under the hood, Proximity hypenation is not a word-list but a syllable-list that is processed algorithmically. When I hyphenate an English document that is supposedly at an eighth-grade reading level, I always wind up applying No Break and inserting discretionary hyphens in order to fix bad hyphenation. Furthermore, my Russian and Spanish proofers always find a disturbingly large number of hyphenation problems when I trust Proximity hyphenation.

• 6. Re: Can we get the list of words with hyphenation breaking used in English:US dictionary?

When Manish directs you to look for .not or .clam files, I think he is quoting from Adobe help about user dictionaries, not Proximity dictionaries. The Proximity stuff I was able to find on my hard drive was in a very different, non-human-readable format, with different file extensions. I have not been able to find any way to look at the "college-level vocabulary in [Proximity] spelling databases."

Yes, Joel is correct that those file are the user dictionaries not the Proximity Dictionaries.