4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 11:11 AM by gavrielx148

Setup my hard drive correct

gavrielx148 Level 1

hi there,

after 2 years i want to setup my system again and i hope now i will do it corectly,

so please i need youre good advice

My system currently includes:

Motherboard: Asus - P6X58D-E

CPU: i7 950 (stock speed)

Case: Thermaltake - Mozart tx

PSU: CORSAIR - AX1200

GPU: GIGABYTE - GTX 470 1280MB

RAM: G.skill - 1333MHz 24GB F3-10600CL9d-8GBXL CL 9-9-9-24 (6X4GB)

COOLERARCTIC COOLING - Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm

OS and the other:

OCZ -128GB SSD AGILITY 4 (SATA 3)

G.skill - 60GB SSD PHOENIX PRO FM-25S2S-60GBP2 (SATA 2)

Western Digital - 2X Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA (SATA 3)  (now i'm uising it on aid0)

SAMSUNG - Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA (SATA 2)

Green disk:

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s     

Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/

SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

for the beggining my big question is how to setup my hard drive (paging file,preview , media....), do i have to separate my raid 0 ?

where is the correct place to connect them to my mobo?

i have

Intel® ICH10R controller :

6 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s)

Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10

Marvell® PCIe 9128 controller :

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)

• 1. Re: Setup my hard drive correct
          frogo369 Level 1

A couple of quick tips

First ensure you update to the latest Bios release which is 0803 this updates the option rom which helps to provide superior performance for drivers operating in raid or AHCI.

Secondary I would caution against raid with your SSDs ( this is due to the fact that you cannot support trim with the version of the RST driver supported by your chipset ). As such you can have performance degradation overtime depending on the wear you place onto the drives.

I would advise you put the OCZ drive on the Marvell controller as it is the SATA6G controller and will provide the best performance for that drive. Along with that ensure you have update the firmware for each each SSD and performed a secure erase to ensure the drives are at their highest performance perform proceeding with installations.

As you have 24GB of RAM you may want to consider doing a rame cache or ram drive. It will slightly delay your shutdown time and lightly affect boot but the increase in performance you could have especially for your mechnical volumes or even as a scratch could very useful.

Something to consider....

Also depending on how long you have had those WD drives becareful continuing to run in a raid 0 black drives are great but they are not designed for 24 hour operation. I would ensure prior to redoing a raid array do a smart health status check and a full write zeros on each drive along with a full sector scan ( you can do these via WD Diagnostic Utilities ). This will help to give you perspective on what is the best choice for those mechnical volumes.

Hope this helps a little.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

• 2. Re: Setup my hard drive correct
            gavrielx148 Level 1

tanks for the reply

i am not sure that Marvel is better from ACHI read this: http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Intel-ICH10-vs-Marvel/td-p/25278

and this http://www.overclock.net/t/1284942/intel-ich10-vs-marvell-9128

can any one please help me to chose how to split my hard drive (media, paging file...etc)

• 3. Re: Setup my hard drive correct
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The only disk that can benefit from the SATA 6G connection is the OCZ SSD. The two WD Blacks can be put on the Marvell controller and the rest is not relevant, although I would put the F3 on the second SATA 6G connection. All conventional HDD's are too slow to notice the difference between SATA 3G and 6G connections.

• 4. Re: Setup my hard drive correct
                gavrielx148 Level 1

tanks for the reply,

i have only 2 marvel connection, 1 for the ocz and 1 for the f3?

can i leave the wd black on raid 0 in the achi?

and what to do with the 60 gb ssd of gskill?