14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 1:50 AM by sperry1975

GREP

sperry1975 Level 1

I need a simple grep line and can't figure it out. I would like to search for a line or section at the end of a paragraph that starts with an em dash and ends with a line break. I need all text within thoes to marks to be highlighted so I can then change it all to italics. I realize ^_ is for em dash and ^p is for end of paragraph but how to put something in for all text inbetween I don't know. Can someone help please?

• 1. Re: GREP
          winterm Level 4

Find What:

(?<=~_).+$

This would work if you have only one em dash in your paragraph, because “grep is greedy”

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: GREP
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you want to include the em dash, or just the text after? And could there be more than one dash in the paragaph, and if so do you want to include only the text after the last one, or all text after the first one?

~_.+$ will find all text (including the dash) from the first dash to the end of the paragraph.

~_.+?$ will find the shortest match, which means it willonly find from the last of multiple dashes to the end of the paragraph.

(?<=~_).+$ puts the dash into a lookbehind, so it won't be included in the found text. .Add the ? as above to limit to the shortest match

• 3. Re: GREP
              sperry1975 Level 1

Peter,

Thanks for your questions and answers. Yes I want to include only the text after the last em dash in the paragraph, so if I'm understanding you correctly I would use (?<=~_).+$ in my search string. Is that correct?

Also do you know of any good resources online for better understanding GREP code? Even a list of all kinds of GREP code imaginable would be great. Thanks!

• 4. Re: GREP
                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CAUTION: This is a 20MB file: http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/indesign_reference.pdf

A listing of GREP metacharacters starts on page 327.

Also, look here: http://indesignsecrets.com/grep

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: GREP
                  sperry1975 Level 1

Thanks!

• 6. Re: GREP

Most of waht I knowabout grep I learned using Peter kahrel's fabulous e-book avaialble at O'Reilly. It costs about 10 bucks and can be used as a PDF or a number of other formats for various readers.

• 7. Re: GREP
                      winterm Level 4

Sorry for coming back to 'answered' question...

sperry1975 wrote:

...I would use (?<=~_).+$ in my search string. Is that correct?

Not exactly. This is the expression offered by me and one of these offered by Peter. Main drawback - it will select everything between the first em dash and end of paragraph. If I understood you correctly, you need to select everything between the last one and the end of paragraph.

? to limit to the shortest match in this situation with the end of paragraph doesn't work for me (frankly, dunno why), so I didn't offer it to you. Peter claims it should do the trick, can anyone confirm this? There is how it works for me:

2012-10-25_004740.png

2012-10-25_002137.png

After some puzzling I was able to produce only this:

2012-10-25_005553.png

(?<=~_).[^~_]+$

This query means: select everything except em dash, between em dash and end of paragraph.

• 8. Re: GREP

I neer actually tested the non-greedy version, and you're right, the ? didn't work for me, either. I think that must be an anomaly about the end-of-paragraph.

• 9. Re: GREP

I just tested winterm's new expression, and it doesn't quite work, either.  Unless the paragraph containing the last dash is also the last paragraph in the story it will select all the following paragraphs as well....

Here's what I've finally come up with that does seem to work: (?<=~_)[^~_]+?$

In this case the ? limiter DOES work. Very odd.

• 10. Re: GREP
                            winterm Level 4

huh, I didn't ever think to test it with multiple paragraphs... grep usually operates inside single paragraph, doesn't it? Really very odd. Btw, the same behaviour with (?<=~_)[^~_]+\r and (?<=~_)[^~_]+?\r.

maybe some grep guru could drop in...

• 11. Re: GREP
                              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

"Not em-dash" is essentially "everything except em-dash" and so includes the hard return \r.

I must say I'm surprised Peter's original suggestion fails as well.

• 12. Re: GREP
                                winterm Level 4

ok then, this seems to work?

(?<=~_)[^~_\r]+$

• 13. Re: GREP

Yes, that also seems to work. Evidently the negation also applies to the paragraph break.

• 14. Re: GREP
                                    sperry1975 Level 1

Thanks for the help everyone. This is great to have on hand since I will likely use it again and again in the future.