3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 11:24 AM by the_wine_snob

CS6 does not start

wetko51

Hey guys,

I am using Photoshop CS6 on my Win7 - 32b, and it used to work just fine, but recently for no apparent reason it just won't start. There is no error window, no freezing my computer, or anything else, it just won't start.

Do you have any idea why?

• 1. Re: CS6 does not start
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated and have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (trashing prefs by keeping command-alt-shift/ctrl-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed, 3rd party plug-ins deactivation, system maintenance, cleaning caches, font validation, etc.)?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS6 does not start
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Even such "quiet crashes" produce entries in the System Event Viewer, so this should be your first place to look for some clues. Likewise, it would cause an entry in any security tools that may block the application. The rest is as C.Pfaffenbichler suggested - trash the prefs, make sure everything is updated. Also if you added some device recently like a scanner or printer, it may be worth unplugging it and uninstalling the drivers.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: CS6 does not start
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In addition to the suggestions above, have you updated your graphics driver to the very latest? This might be necessary if your OS has had any updates/hot-fixes applied between when things worked and now, when they do not.

When something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed. The task is to find out what that was, and I agree that Event Viewer is a good place to start.

Another troubleshooting scheme, if the above suggestions do not help, is to create a System Restore Point for now, then boot to Safe Mode, and choose a System Restore Point from when things DID work well. Test. At the worst, you have only lost a few minutes, as you would then just go to that new System Restore Point, that you created for now.

Good luck,

Hunt