5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 3:16 AM by AdobeLuvr007

Font 'Space glyph' problem with custom font!

AdobeLuvr007 Level 1

Hey AE users.

I'm finishing up a big project and we want to have a filled box around our text.

This system must be automated using the CompfromSpreadsheet script (using exel to fill in the text in AE).

We edited a font and filled all the characters with filled boxes, it all works! Except for the spaces!!!

In Photoshop or any other program the font works great, only in AE the spaces do not show up!

When I convert  the text to shapes they show up. So the font is working, AE is just not showing it in the textlayer!

Why is that? Is there something special about the 'space glyph' in AE for animation? Can do something?

I cannot share the font I have but http://www.dafont.com/blockstar.font this is a free one that has a STAR for the spacebar.

It also does not work in AE, unless you convert to shapes.

I hope someone can help me!

Thanks.

space.jpg

• 1. Re: Font 'Space glyph' problem with custom font!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Spaces are special and AE's text engine doesn't support some fancies like specific glyph substitutions. Perhaps it can be made to work with expressions using the .fromCharCode() string methods or some other magic like converting hex values. You could always assign it to a special character, also, and then replace you spaces with that character in your imported source text. Any slightly advanced text editor like Notepad+, BBEdit or whatever can do that easily. Even some simple regex .replace() would probably work then inside an AE expression....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Font 'Space glyph' problem with custom font!
            AdobeLuvr007 Level 1

Hey Mylenium

thanks for the reply.

Yeah we also can copy the 'space glyph' too another character, lets say the '+'.

So we need to type 'We+Are+From+Earth'.

So why is it the custom spacebar shape is not showing up?

It is strange that is shows up when you convert to shapes.

So I have 2 options.

1. I have a colomn in exel where I type my normal text with space, and I have another column that copies that text and replaces the spaces with '+' signs. I guess it is the substitute formula, I just dont know how the formula works yet.

2. I add an expression too the BLOCK font layer in AE, which replaces the spaces by '+' signs. What would that expression be?

thanks a million.

• 3. Re: Font 'Space glyph' problem with custom font!
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It could be a bug in the text engine, it could be by design. Simple replacement of a single instance of a character would look like this:

myString="X Z"

myString.replace("\s","Y")

This will return "XYZ" as the result, where "\s" is the space character. For your purposes you would have to run this in a loop and possibly involve complex regular expressions or at least check all instances with indexOf(), so this could get ugly, not to mention that it will make things slow. If you can do it externally, it might be easier and quicker and a lot more safe.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Font 'Space glyph' problem with custom font!
                AdobeLuvr007 Level 1

You are a scriptgod :)

I do not understand the scripting but I'm reminder the 'Slow' + 'ugly'.

Not a good combination!

thanks

• 5. Re: Font 'Space glyph' problem with custom font!
                  AdobeLuvr007 Level 1

Still. Where do I put this script? On the Source text?

I guess it still needs lots of other expressions?

I will try the exel version.

This is too complex.