7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 11:51 PM by Jon-M-Spear

How do I get around the fact that I recorded too much audio?

fullhead

Okay, so I got this new Sony PMW 200 camera and finally went high def for the first time. Turns out the camera records EIGHT channels of audio! I recorded a couple of programs with it and am now trying to get the HDCAM footage into Premiere Pro 5 (I'll have 6 in a couple of days.) Here's what I did. I took the files (HDCAM 50) and pulled them off the portable hard drive I used on site and copied them to a CLIPS file on my Raid drive. I am now using the media browser to bring the clips into my project. The problem is that the audio is so huge that I think it has been the cause of my system crashing a few times. I have about 160 clips. Am I better off just taking it slow and doing a few clips at a time or do I find some conversion software (help!) that will get rid of all that audio.

I have to have a show done in a few days and am sort of freaking out. I am new to all this. I realized I was recording alor of audio, but this all came down real fast and figured I could fix it in post, not taking into account the large file sizes due to all that audio. I literally had the camera one day and was shooting with it a couple of days later.

Any help would be extremely appreciated. Oh and I have been saving the program over and over, but found at a certain point that the system just crashed soon after I turned it on. I'm running it on a dual quad core Xeon (PC) with 8 gigs of ram.

• 1. Re: How do I get around the fact that I recorded too much audio?
          SimonHy Level 2

I don't think it's the audio that's causing you problems. The very broad rule of thumb for size and strain on your system for video to audio is 300 to 1. The audio's impact is negligable; even with 8 channels of audio, it'll be the fact that you've moved to HD video that's choking your system. If you convert your footage you'll degrade the quality, and I don't think getting rid of the extra audio channels with make any discernible difference.

How is your raid set up? I think hard drive speed is likely to be the bigger factor.

• 2. Re: How do I get around the fact that I recorded too much audio?
            fullhead Level 1

You're right. I've been noticing a stutter in the video and my system is just not handling it well. I don't mind degrading the quality. I shot it at HDCAM 50 which is really way beyond the needs of this video. Do you or do any of you know a way to convert the footage and downsize it so that I can get through this edit?

I've got 140 shots, so it would be nice if there was an easier less time consuming way.

This going to HD has been a hard one for me. Many lessons learned.

• 3. Re: How do I get around the fact that I recorded too much audio?
              SimonHy Level 2

What will you be exporting as?

If you're happy to lose a bit of quality, run the clips through Adobe Media Encoder and convert them to something that better matches your final delivery.

I think that camera has a 420 recording mode (rather than 422) that will be less strain on your system. I'd look at upgrading your computer rather than downgrading your footage in the long term though.

• 4. Re: How do I get around the fact that I recorded too much audio?
                fullhead Level 1

The final will most likely be YouTube along with one showing on a large screen (probably using an SD DVD player.) So the quality is truly not critical. I shot it at HDCAM 50 at 422. That should be able to be to be handled by my system I would think. I just replaced the raid drives. Of course 8 gigs of RAM is not much. Would memory make a difference?

If you were to use Adobe Media Encoder, what file type would you use? I'm surprised they don't have Quicktime.

• 5. Re: How do I get around the fact that I recorded too much audio?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

With SD DV material the practical minimum is 8 GB memory. Your material uses double the amount of bandwidth and memory, so practical minimum memory in your case would be 16 GB, with 32 GB being even better. Also, due to the 50 Mbps bandwidth, your disk requirements also double. I agree with Simon that the audio bandwidth is not likely to be causing you problems, but I expect you can setup the camera to record only two or four channels of audio instead of 8.  If I'm not mistaken, the camera has only one internal stereo mic and two mono XLR connectors, so there is no 'sound' reason to record 8 channels. 4 is enough.

What are your other hardware specs, CPU, disk setup and video card?

• 6. Re: How do I get around the fact that I recorded too much audio?
                    Jon-M-Spear Level 4

SimonHy, the PMW 200 does record  @ 4:2:2 - which is 50 MB/s. 

fullhead, 50 MB/s is 15 MB/s greater than 4:2:0 which is 35 MB/s.  That's really the only major difference over the EX1R.  4:2:2 and above is essential for much broadcast work and (arguably) green screen.  But for general work, 4:2:0 will produce extremely high quality output. 

Did you copy the entire folder structure verbatim from the camera to your hard drive?  It sounds as if you cherry-picked certain files and moved only those across.  The EX1R names the folder as BPAV.

Before dragging files into the timeline, identify which of the PMW's audio tracks you wish to use - then target ONLY those tracks.  When you insert the audio into the timeline, the unwanted audio tracks will be excluded - although, as SimonHy says, that's probably not where your problem lays.