12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2014 7:20 AM by AnimeVortex

Getting Stuck in Presentation Mode in 5.5

Richard Groff Level 1

Somehow managed to get into Presentation Mode and couldn't get out. No keyboard shortcut works, including Esc. I did a force quit, went back in and assigned Opt-P to Presentation Mode, but it doesn't seem to be a toggle; it gets me into it but not out. Anyone else notice this?

• 1. Re: Getting Stuck in Presentation Mode in 5.5
          Richard Groff Level 1

Oh, and it's happening with Mac OS X 10.6.8 on all our computers here.

• 2. Re: Getting Stuck in Presentation Mode in 5.5
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you sure it's presentation mode and not one of the other preview modes? Try pressing Tab or W....

• 3. Re: Getting Stuck in Presentation Mode in 5.5
              Richard Groff Level 1

Nope, it's certainly Presentation Mode. Just tried it here at home and got stuck. Tried every key and key combination. Only thing I could do was quit. I've never used it before; I'll probably never use it again. (Don't really see what use it is anyway.)

• 4. Re: Getting Stuck in Presentation Mode in 5.5
                avanos68

I'm having the same problem here, while using the QuarkXpress shortcuts! It'S all working good with the Indesign shortcuts..

• 5. Re: Getting Stuck in Presentation Mode in 5.5
                  Brighton Lance Level 1

Same problem here, spanking new InDesign CS6 on a spanking new iMac and got completely stuck in Presentation mode, which is a shame because it looks great for clients. I use my own shortcut set so Apple-W didn't help but I assigned my own shortcut to it and no joy. First time it let me quit but then wouldn't let me escape any way, at one point the tools panel came up but didn't work. Had to hit the big button on back of iMac to escape - won't be going near that mode again.

Following my problem on another topic (delete key not working), I've realised this presentation mode problem must be down to me migrating my shortcuts from CS4. It basically doesn't work and this would explain why you can get stuck in presentation mode without the Shift-W escape route. Now that I am making a fresh set of shortcuts the Presenation mode works fine.

Message was edited by: Brighton Lance

• 6. Re: Getting Stuck in Presentation Mode in 5.5
                    PlainMartin

I stumbled over the same problem when defining my own keyboard shortcuts set (using an empty default set as the starting point), and I couldn’t leave Presentation mode.

But the solution is totally obvious (like so many things) when you think about it: It’s all about context.

I.e., if you define a keyboard shortcut that switches to Presentation mode, you are now (drum roll) in Presentation mode. Accordingly, to quit Presentation mode (i.e., switch to another mode), you need to define a shortcut for that other mode that works in the Presentation mode context.

E.g., I now have defined [F12] in the Default context to switch to Presentation mode. [F10] will switch back to Normal mode both in the Default context and Presentation context. Works like a charm.

• 7. Re: Getting Stuck in Presentation Mode in 5.5

I bet you could even set F12 to toggle by assigning it in both contexts.

• 8. Re: Getting Stuck in Presentation Mode in 5.5
                        PlainMartin Level 1

Thanks; confirmed. Repeatedly pressing whatever key (combo) you assigned to activating Presentation mode (both in Default and Presentation context) will toggle. Very nice.

What I can't seem to find in the Keyboard Shortcuts editor are the commands that will allow me to navigate from page to page in Presentation mode. I thought it’s “Scroll up one screen” / “Scroll down one screen”, but they don’t work. Having these would complete the “Better PowerPoint” experience...

Edit:

Doh. Of course, it’s “Next page”, “Previous page” etc. in the Layout menu, which I have now assigned to arrow keys in Presentation mode. Excellent.

• 9. Re: Getting Stuck in Presentation Mode in 5.5

So what was wrong with the default Page Down and Page Up?

• 10. Re: Getting Stuck in Presentation Mode in 5.5
                            PlainMartin Level 1

There’s nothing “wrong” about these… I just realized that by default, InDesign has 500+ keyboard shortcuts, some of which I would trigger accidentally, leading to confusing WTF moments.

By starting with an empty set and defining only those key combos that make sense to me (and probably no-one else in the world) for all modes, I have become much more productive.

(Of course, I would be totally lost if I ever had to work at someone else’s machine without my own keyboard shortcut set… Which is why I’ll copy it to Dropbox right now.)

• 11. Re: Getting Stuck in Presentation Mode in 5.5
                              BriGuyAG Level 1

Oh, thank goodness I found this topic. I was just playing around with Presentation mode here, myself, and got stuck in it, as well... Esc not working... Shift-W not working. I basically have been using QuarkXPress shortcuts (some modifications here and there) ever since switching to ID some years back.

I followed your example: setting a new shortcut for the Default/Presentation contexts worked like a charm to toggle Presentation mode on and off.

I guess that's what I get for playing around with something I never use (Presentation mode, that is).

[2011 Macbook Pro // Mac OS X 10.8.5 // InDesign CC]

• 12. Re: Getting Stuck in Presentation Mode in 5.5
                                AnimeVortex

Not sure if anyone tried this but I was encountering the same problems.

I used Peter's Suggestion about Pressing Tab this brought back my tools and windows.

Then after fiddling around with what was avaible to me I ended up clicking on the View dropdowns Specifically the Windows Layouts.

Clicking on the Selection "Float All in Windows" brought me back to the standard Layout in ID

Hope that helps!