4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 5:32 AM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere Elements 8 crashes when I try to use it.

Maggie Holt

This has been an issue for several months now, which I have been unable to find a resolution to. Things to keep in mind are that I am not very computer-savvy, so the fix could be quite simple and I am just missing it.

The problem:

Back in August, I asked my boyfriend to clean off some space on my computer because it was starting to act up sometimes. I know that he deleted some programs that I was not using, but as far as I know, none of them had to do with Premiere Elements 8. But as soon as that happened, I couldn't use it any more.

What happens:

I can open up a new file just fine. I think I can even open an already existing file (it has been a few months since I've tried that). It is when I try to import a video file into the program that it shuts down. My computer remains functioning; other tabs and programs will not be affected, my laptop does not shut down or glitch. It is just Adobe.

What I've tried:

I uninstalled the program twice and re-installed it. That didn't work either time.

I checked to make sure that I still have Quicktime installed. I do, and it is updated.

I made sure I have room on my computer. There isn't a lot, and it is not a fast computer, but then again, it never has been.

I've done all system updates, defragmented my computer, etc. All of the maintenance I can think of.

I searched my problem on this forum and google, but haven't had success finding a case similar enough to mine (possibly due to my inadequate search skills).

What I'm looking for now:

I suspect that there is a program that has been deleted that was important for Premiere Elements 8. However, I cannot figure out what program that might be.

Miscellaneous:

Adobe Reader has also been acting up on my computer. I've reinstalled it several times, but it persists in either working at a snail's pace (15 minutes to open a 500 KB document, which I think is not very big. Again, my computer know-how is lacking), or else not working at all and shutting itself down.

About my computer (I apologize in advance for omitted or extraneous information):

I have an HP laptop, 2 years old. (Model: HP G56 Notebook PC)

It runs on Windows 7, and has an Intel Celeron core.

It has a 64-bit operating system.

My hard drive has 216 GB of space total. 73 GB are free.

I have 3 GB of RAM.

Thank you in advance for any help. I'd really like to get this program working again.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes when I try to use it.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I would start with this FAQ Entry first, if you have not done so yet: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

It starts with a checklist for getting PrE set up properly, then moves into tuning up one's system and OS (you have done a lot of that already), and then goes into troubleshooting tips. Note: those tips rather work up quickly in "degree of difficulty," and DO become quite technical, but things like the "Finding Clues" link will give some tools, that might prove useful, like the use of Windows' Event Viewer to track down issues.

One of the first things to look at would be your video driver. I would go to the video card's/chip's mfgr's. Web site, and check for a later driver. Do not trust Windows, or any utility to tell you if you have the latest driver. If there is not a newer video driver, or it will not install properly on your system, be sure to check with the HP Web site, as HP, Dell, Lenovo, and some other mfgrs. will re-package video drivers to suit their specific setup.

One troubleshooting technique, that might prove useful (however, those deleted programs bother me a bit here), would be to create a System Restore Point for now (see Windows Help for doing this with your particular OS version). Then, boot to Safe Mode, and choose an older System Restore Point, from when things did work. This might take some trial-and-error, to get back far enough. Test. At the worst, you will only have lost a few minutes, as you have your new System Restore Point for now, to fall back on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes when I try to use it.
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Version 8 was very limited in the types of video it could edit. It can pretty much only work with camcorder video and not video from smartphones or any other source.

Also, version 8, in its original release, was a bit of a mess. Adobe quickly released a patch that fixed most of its problems. So, once you do get it open, make sure to go to the Help menu and select Check for Updates.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes when I try to use it.
              Maggie Holt Level 1

Bill: I have gone through that checklist and done everything I know how to do. I have not been able to successfully install any new drivers from Intel's website. I've tried a few different ones, but they all tell me that they could not be installed because my computer did not meet the requirements.

Bill and Steve: I have tried to update my version of Adobe, both through the website and through the program when I got it open. However, it says that I have the updated version.

Steve: I have a Panasonic HD camera. I know that it produces files that work with Elements because I have been using them together for over a year without a problem.

I'm trying a driver from HP's website now. Hopefully it will work.

Edit: The update I found on HP's website also did not work.

Message was edited by: Maggie Holt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes when I try to use it.
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

HD could mean hi-def or it could mean hard drive -- and even that doesn't give me the detailed specs I'd be able to get if you actually told me your camcorder's model number.

Newer Panasonics, for instance, shoot in 1080p60, a format that would most certainly choke version 8 (although version 11 will certainly be able to handle it on an adequately powered machine.

BTW, how fast is your computer's processor?