4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 9:44 PM by Carl Sun

The following extensions failed to be imported

voidsurfr

hey guys, I'm new here so be gentle

So, after installing CS6 I ran the Adobe Update Manger and got some errors:

The following extensions 'idcs6_EBookExport.zxp,idcs6_EPSPage.zxp,Item.zxp,idcs6_Galley.zxp,idcs6_HTMLPGT.zxp,idcs 6_Hyperlinks.zxp,idcs6_Image.zxp,Media.zxp,idcs6_OpenPlace.zxp,idcs6_Paragraph Composer.zxp,idcs6_PDF.zxp...' for product 'InDesign CS6' failed to be imported. Please make sure these are valid extensions.

I'm not sure what the relevance of these extensions are (I still have some reading to do yet) or how to fix this error. After some digging all extensions (good, bad, or otherwise) seem to have the same version number: 8.0.0.370 - if that means anything.

If anyone can point me to some docs that will explain how to resolve this or lend a little wisdom I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

TT

• 1. Re: The following extensions failed to be imported
          Carl Sun Level 4

I have answered the same problem in http://forums.adobe.com/message/4759974#4759974. The certificate used to sign these extensions  was revoked on October 4th. So the signature of these extensions is no longer valid.

InDesign will release a patch to fix this problem. This patch should be available in early November.

At present you can delete these ZXP files in "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/InDesign/Version 8.0/en_US/Extensions". After that you will no longer see error messages.

• 2. Re: The following extensions failed to be imported
            voidsurfr Level 1

Carl, thanks for the info. Let me follow up with you to make sure I understand.

1. Cert invalid, will be reissued in November; check.
            2. I can safely remove these files and no more errors: check.

And, after they are removed from my system, the November update will put the new ones back on the system?

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. It seems like if they aren't in that directory, it would be difficult for AEM to update them. Or is the update logic more like, "if they are not there then download them"?

Ether way, I can tar them and keep till November rolls around.

If anyone else runs into this problem, here's my method. Put the tar file wherever you want; I chose "~/Documents/" arbitrarily.

1) Open the Terminal

2) cd to that directory

$ cd /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/InDesign/Version\ 8.0/en_US/Extensions/

3) tar the files to the Documents directory:

$ tar czvf ~/Documents/aem_indesign_extensions.tgz idcs6_{EBookExport,EPS\ Page\ Item,Galley,HTMLPGT,Hyperlinks,Image,Media,Open\ Place,Paragraph\ Composer,PDF}.zxp

4) Remove the files:

$ rm -f idcs6_{EBookExport,EPS\ Page\ Item,Galley,HTMLPGT,Hyperlinks,Image,Media,Open\ Place,Paragraph\ Composer,PDF}.zxp

Re-open AEM: Error still occurs.

NOTE: No other Adobe apps are open. Perhaps a logout/in or reboot; stay tuned.

TT

• 3. Re: The following extensions failed to be imported
              voidsurfr Level 1

After a reboot, re-opening Indesign, and AEM (a few times) the error persists.

• 4. Re: The following extensions failed to be imported
                Carl Sun Level 4

1. Yes, the InDesign patch will solve the invalid certificate issue.

2. You can safely remove these files and no more errors. The patch will put the new ones back to that folder.

If you have ever launched Extension Manager BEFORE applying the existing InDesign update and removed ALL zxp files (there should be 18 zxp files) from that folder, then you shouldn't run into the problem anymore.

If you launched Extension Manager for the first time AFTER applying the existing InDesign update, you may see more errors than above.

The InDesign patch should be available next week. Thanks your patience.