7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 8:31 AM by Jeff Arola

Issues with merging layers with layer styles

Get Rich or Die Tryin

Just downloaded CS6 Photoshop off the creative cloud and the merge layer command does not work. What is happening is there is one layer with a layer style then a shape layer and when I hit Cmd E it merges the layers but the layer style will not merge with it. I was chatting it up and everything they recommended did not work. It works on all my other co-workers computers and we are all on the cloud. I tried renaming pref. folder, settings folder, re-installing, holding down shft+option+cmd on start up. I also created a test account but that turned out to be a major inconvenience. Once logged into the account there is nothing there. The suggestions just started getting more ridiculous as chat proceeded. Nothing.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Does anyone have a solution where I don't have to create a whole new admin account just to see if CS6 Photoshop works correctly?

P.S.

Adobe customer portal is about worthless.

• 1. Re: Issues with merging layers with layer styles
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Can you post a screenshot of the layers panel?

If you select both layers and then use Cmd+E does it work?

• 2. Re: Issues with merging layers with layer styles
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Get Rich or Die Tryin wrote:

Just downloaded CS6 Photoshop off the creative cloud and the merge layer command does not work. What is happening is there is one layer with a layer style then a shape layer and when I hit Cmd E it merges the layers but the layer style will not merge with it. I was chatting it up and everything they recommended did not work. It works on all my other co-workers computers and we are all on the cloud. I tried renaming pref. folder, settings folder, re-installing, holding down shft+option+cmd on start up. I also created a test account but that turned out to be a major inconvenience. Once logged into the account there is nothing there. The suggestions just started getting more ridiculous as chat proceeded. Nothing.

There are two merge layers type commands  one is merge down involves only two layers and another that is merge visible layers.  In my opinion there is a problem with the way merge down is implemented. When you use merge down if the bottom layer in the merge down has a layer style the merged layer also has this layer style attached.  This means that pixels from the layer merged into it will be effected by this layer style.  The result may well not look like the composite looked before the merge. The will also happen in CS5. Merge visibile layer works the correct way in my view as the merge progresses the top two layers are merge by applying any layer masks and layer styles first and merging the two layers the resulting layer has no layer masks and no layer style. This result is then merged with the next lower layer with its masks and style applied first. The result is a single layer without mask and style that looks like the original composite view.  If your having the problem with CMD|CTRL+E and the result has a layer style try turning  the layer style visibility off see if that helps.  If it helps some  backup to before the merge down  use merge visible or first rasterzise the bottom layer to be merged.

• 3. Re: Issues with merging layers with layer styles

There is also merge layers when the layers one wants to merge are selected, then merge layers (Cmd+E) should work.

In the scernario you describe (merge down), is the way photoshop has worked for many versions as far as i know.

Layers setected for merge and then Cmd (ctrl)+E Merge layers flattens the layer styles.

Untitled-2.png

after merging layers Cmd+E

Untitled-3.png

• 4. Re: Issues with merging layers with layer styles
                s.mahn Level 2

I usually select the layers I want to merge then do cmd+G to group followed by cmd+E to merge. This applies all masks and styles.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Issues with merging layers with layer styles
                  JJMack Most Valuable Participant

R_Kelly wrote:

There is also merge layers when the layers one wants to merge are selected, then merge layers (Cmd+E) should work.

Yes Cmd|Ctrl+E shortcut changes from merge down to merge layers when more then one layer is targeted.  Merge Layer works like merge visible layers for selected layers. 

Its Merge down that is the strange beast.  If the bottom layer in a merge down command has a Layer Mask has a vector mask or both you get a pop dialog with an option to preserve them or apply them first. I feel that should be extended to include a an option to apply or preserve the layer style. The way is is implemented it just preserves the layer style which can mess up the merge so that the merge does not look like to before merge composite view. For it will also apply to pixels merged from the other layer and the pixel merge can also be different because the style was not applied before the merge of the layers pixels.

By default the top leyer in a merge down has its layer masks and layer style applied before the merge just like all the layer do in a merge selected layers like merge visible later.  Again its the bottom layer in a merge down that is the strange beast.

• 6. Re: Issues with merging layers with layer styles
                    Get Rich or Die Tryin Level 1

s.mahn,

Looks like this workaround worked for me. Does not make sense that I have to do this but whatever. Cmd+E has always worked, works on my co-workers Photoshop and we are all using the cloud now but there is some glitch going on with the CS6 I am using even after uninstalling and re-installing and trying all those other suggestions from my live chat session.

So kudos to you!

• 7. Re: Issues with merging layers with layer styles

It sounds to me like your photoshop cs6 is working like it's supposed to, at least the way that is implemented anyway.

If you post an example of your layers panel with the particular layers showing, someone could tell you whether there is something wrong or not.