6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2012 12:55 PM by Carl_Dad RSS

fireworks cs4 batch change color in jpegs?

Carl_Dad Community Member

Is it possible to use fireworks cs4 batch command to change the same background color on multiple jpegs?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

• 1. Re: fireworks cs4 batch change color in jpegs?
          groove25 Community Member

If you can find a command for this in the Batch Process dialog, then it can be done.

However, I'd say this is unlikely. JPEGs are flattened, single-layer image files, so the concept of a background color doesn't really exist within that format.

• 2. Re: fireworks cs4 batch change color in jpegs?

Agreed. If only there was some way to process a folder of jpeg files, and select (for example) the top left pixel (which is of course the "bacjground" color), and then perform a fill with the new color, and save with same name. Maybe via a windows macro approach?

-Carl

• 3. Re: fireworks cs4 batch change color in jpegs?

Sampling the top left pixel is an interesting idea.

The other aspect of JPEGs that would make this tricky is that the color tends to be highly variable. Think of a photo, for example. The compression used in JPEGs works against the integrity of flat color—so even if you were dealing with a border around a photo, there'd be color variability where the border meets the image. You might have an easier time if you were working with an indexed color format like GIF or PNG-8.

You can, incidentally, use Fireworks' History panel to create command scripts. So if you can perform a task in Fireworks, there's a chance you can convert it into a script from there. Once it's a script, it can be integrated into a batch process. That said, not all actions performed in Fireworks can be recorded properly, so extra work is often required to make a script actually useful and workable.

• 4. Re: fireworks cs4 batch change color in jpegs?

Hey... solved it! Changed the background color in almost 2,000 jpegs. Heres how:

Photoshop CS4, first define a color in an AXT file:

Open test image, image, adjustments, replace color. use eye dropper to sample the background color, bring hue, saturation, and lightness bars all the way to the right (background color now turnd white), click save (save the definition AXT file, you will need to reference it later).

Now create a new action called "replace color", have test image open (with original background that you want to change), start record and do this to record the action:

Image, adjustments, replace color. Click load and select the AXT file, click load (the background color now turns white with the loaded AXT definition). Click ok. save file. Stop record action.

Now run a batch command and use that action you just recorded: File, automate, batch, select your new action in the play section, select the folder of files to process and the destination... click ok to run the batch.

I changed the "background" color in 2,000 estore product images of various sizes (thumbnail, medium, and large sizes) in about 15 minutes. Wow! I knew there had to be a way.

Hope it helps lots of people, 'cause it sure is a common need.

Cheers,

Carl

• 5. Re: fireworks cs4 batch change color in jpegs?

Congratulations on finding a solution, and thanks for sharing!

I had no idea you were working with so many images. Using Photoshop's Replace Color adjustment was a great idea.

• 6. Re: fireworks cs4 batch change color in jpegs?

Thanks, I hope it is helpful to others as well. I build sites for small business, and my graphics guy's jaw dropped when I walked him through the steps (he had always done similar functions mannually since there is no "button" to do this entire process). I figure that at a minimum of 5 minutes per image (I actually had 1,944 images), the work would equal 162 hours.

This process did it in minutes.

Thanks again for jumping in to help!

Carl