5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 2:17 PM by RjL190365

AMD 7950 performance with premiere cs6

karbonman

Hello I'm planing on getting an AMD 7950, I just wanted to know what the performance with this graphics card is with premiere

• 1. Re: AMD 7950 performance with premiere cs6
          josephs51576386 Level 3

It will work, however it won't utilize MPE's hardware accleration functions like some of NVIDIA's GPU's do. I'd really recommend spending your money on a NVIDIA card if you intend to edit a lot of video with Premeire Pro, because it will GREATLY improve your performance and greatly impact your overall user experince. Personally I'd recommend purchasing the GTX470 if you can find one for sale. Sometimes you can find them refurbished for around 170-190USD or I'd also HIGHLY recommend the 570 it will provide a wonderful perfromance/price ratio. I'd really recommend you check out this article it provides a lot of helpful information on Premiere/GPU support. The article also applies to premiere pro cs6 too even though the URL says cs5

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

However if you're simply wondering if the card you have mentioned will work, it will. It just won't do MPE GPU hardware accleraration. Which MPE/GPU acceleration vastly improves your overall experince.

Here is Adobes official MPE/GPU (hardware based accel) supported graphic cards list. I got this information from http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

Supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration

GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)

• GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
          • GeForce GTX 570 (Windows)
          • GeForce GTX 580 (Windows)
          • NVIDIA® Tesla C2075 card (Windows) when paired with a Quadro card as part of an NVIDIA Maximus™ configuration
          • Quadro FX 3700M (Windows)
          • Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
          • Quadro FX 3800M (Windows)
          • Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
          • Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
          • Quadro 2000 (Windows)
          • Quadro 2000D (Windows)
          • Quadro 2000M (Windows)
          • Quadro 3000M (Windows)
          • Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)
          • Quadro 4000M (Windows)
          • Quadro 5000 (Windows)
          • Quadro 5000M (Windows)
          • Quadro 5010M (Windows)
          • Quadro 6000 (Windows)
          • Quadro CX (Windows)
          • Tesla C2075** (Windows)

Then for MBP's they support the following two cards

• AMD Radeon HD 6750M (only on certain MacBook Pro computers running OS X Lion (10.7.x) with a minimum of 1GB VRAM)
          • AMD Radeon HD 6770M (only on certain MacBook Pro computers running OS X Lion (10.7.x) with a minimum of 1GB VRAM)
          • 2. Re: AMD 7950 performance with premiere cs6
            Jeff Bellune Level 5

[moved to hardware forum]

• 3. Re: AMD 7950 performance with premiere cs6
              RjL190365 Level 4

If the PC that you're putting the HD 7950 in is a Windows PC, then no. Premiere Pro CS6 will run, but it will be "permanently" stuck in the "MPE Software Only" mode. This is because the Windows versions of Premiere Pro still do not support OpenCL GPU acceleration at all. As a result, the  Premiere Pro CS6 performance with the HD 7950 will be more or less equal to that of an otherwise identically-equipped Windows PC with only a motherboard-integrated IGP instead of a discrete GPU. (On OSX, however, OpenCL is available; however, it is currently less robust than CUDA-specific GPU acceleration.)

By the way, in addition to the GPUs listed on the above list posted by ComputerNovice25, the following two Kepler-derived GPUs now no longer need the CUDA "hack" in order to enable MPE GPU acceleration since they have now been added to the list as of 6.0.3:

GeForce GT 650M (Windows and Mac OS)

GeForce GTX 680 (Windows)

• 4. Re: AMD 7950 performance with premiere cs6
                karbonman Level 1

What about the GTX 670?

• 5. Re: AMD 7950 performance with premiere cs6
                  RjL190365 Level 4

The GTX 670 still needs the "hack".