3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2008 1:08 PM by ilsh

PDF renderer for next release please

Tom_Susweb
      I would like to add to the discussion on the old labs forum.

AIR would be hugely more useful to me if it could display a pdf natively. This would mean bundling a basic pdf renderer with AIR. This needn't add much to the AIR runtime (e.g. FoxIt reader is only 2mb).

As mentioned in the linked discussion, AIR could check for the presence of Adobe Reader x.x and / or full Acrobat and then make use of them if required. But the ability to simply display (and hence print) pdf's without launching an additional application and without worrying about what the user might have installed on various OS's would IMHO make AIR a more wonderful thing!

Here's hoping..
        • 1. Re: PDF renderer for next release please
          RossRitchey Level 4
          The release notes state that you can display a pdf natively, ONLY if the client has the most current 8.1 reader. Unfortunately, I have not yet found a method for doing this, despite having the most current reader...

Regardless, I second this proposal, and I do not understand why Adobe would essentially leave one of the core products of AIR out of the 1.0 release. I would have assumed that the first alpha would have been able to not only render a pdf to the display, but also write a pdf out to the client machine. Understandably, this may be easier said than done, but should have been done before a 1.0 release.

Also, I do not understand why 2/3 of the release notes are known issues many of which should have been taken care of prior to release. I do not understand why anyone would knowingly release a buggy product.
          • 2. Re: PDF renderer for next release please
            Tom_Susweb Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: rritchey
            The release notes state that you can display a pdf natively, ONLY if the client has the most current 8.1 reader. Unfortunately, I have not yet found a method for doing this, despite having the most current reader...

Likewise - on Windows XP with latest Reader installed I can't find how to do this. Can anyone enlighten us?

Also, any more votes for a lightweight pdf renderer to be included with the AIR runtime? This would be such a huge benefit over web deployment of pdf's where I still regularly have issues with users who won't / can't open pdf's because they don't have a reader installed or because it's not integrated with their browser properly.

• 3. Re: PDF renderer for next release please
              ilsh Level 1
              I vote for a lightweight pdf renderer.

That being said, I am able to open a pdf with AIR. However, if a user installs the full Acrobat, can AIR open the pdf with Acrobat's functionality?