You've not given us enough information to give you a really good answer.
The critical missing part is the text of the error message. I can make a
guess, but that's all it is: "No permission to copy here". You may have
had more messages. Also, how about telling us what your computer
environment is - are you running Windows 7 on a PC or are you a Mac
person? It makes a difference.
I'm puzzled as to why you mention authorization - unless you think that
it's part of the issue involved with the 'No permission...' error message.
When ADE gives you an error message, it's functioning according to spec's,
and reinstalling it only mucks up the situation, which appears to be what's
happened in your case. If I'm guessing correctly, the message is telling
you that the ebook's digital rights do not allow you to 'make a copy' of it
and put it onto your ereader. This is a popular issue now - I've seen a
post on the subject nearly every day for a month or so. Digital rights are
assigned by the publisher, distributor or author, and are not something we
as users can change - if they can be changed, it's the source of the ebook
that can do that, and you can go back to the source and ask.
If you've run into a limit on authorizations because of the number of times
you've tried to reinstall the software, then you have to contact Adobe for
a reset. 'Getting around it' isn't something you can do yourself, but we
may be getting ahead of the story. You can get a reset from Adobe
technical support. Although that sounds easy, it often is much harder than
it should be (hence my nickname - Frustrated). There are lots of posts on
the forum that are testimonials to the effort - some folks got help the
first time, but others did not.
ADE 2.0 is the latest release, and hasn't been available for very long.
While it's supposed to be evolutionary, all of us have little experience
with it and may not know enough to be able to resolve issues that are
unique to it. The CBOK is with ADE's version 1.7, and I can give you a
couple of ideas on what to do now from that standpoint.
I have to read between the lines. It might help (pardon the pun) to
mention the steps to see your ereader.
First, plug in the ereader to your USB port. It should come to life, and
your computer should recognize it. The ereader's screen should tell you
that it's connected to your computer. Then, start ADE. If all is well,
ADE should show your ereader on the bookshelf portion of its Library view
(left hand side of the split display). Your ereader's screen may show a
message also. When you see that this has happened, you can transfer
ebooks. Just put your cursor on the title, and drag it to your ereader's
entry. When you're done with the copying, close ADE. Watch the screen on
your ereader - it will tell you something about processing new content.
When it's finished doing that, disconnect it logically first from your
computer by using a computer utility such as Windows Explorer (NOT Internet
Explorer) and 'eject' it. Then just pull the plug.
C'mon back with more information and I can be more specific.
Thanks for your reply. I am running Windows 7 on a PC and I think at this stage I have got myself into trouble by trying too many things. My initial message was E_Lic_Already _Fulfilled _by _ another_User. It was at this point, after reading many posts, that I tried reauthorizing my machine and reader. I then received the 'no permission to copy error'. I did contact KOBO but did not receive a reply and so I tried to solve the problem myself.
I have followed through your steps of connecting the eReader but it is nolonger showing up in ADE. Is there anypoint in trying to remove all traces of ADE from my computer, setting up a new Adobe ID and starting again or does Adobe record the actual machine being used.
I will try to contact Adobe directly.
Yes, ADE does record information about the user and the computer in its
files so that it can keep libraries and ebooks straight and conform to the
requirements of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 2000 concerning
keeping a user's ebooks from being used by others.
The 'License fulfilled....' is telling you that Digital Editions checked
the ebook's ID file and found that your current Adobe ID does not match the
one stored in the ebook's ID file. It was downloaded under a different
Adobe ID. You can get around this one by deauthorizing ADE under your
current ID and - if you know what it was - reauthorizing it under your old
ID, which you must have been able to do in order to get the 'No
'Authorizing' your ereader can cause it to lose its mind, and before you go
nuts, try doing a hard reset on it, according to the user manual/directions
from the manufacturer. That's usually a small hole in the back cover into
which you insert a bent paperclip and press for a number of seconds.
Hopefully, this will reactivate the ereader, and going through the steps we
did before will allow your computer and ADE to see it again. It may come
up with a different user ID than you think it should, so be prepared....
Thanks. I will continue optimistically and give that a go.