3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 3:40 PM by Phoenix89MR

Actions Possible Without Opening Raw File in Photoshop?

Phoenix89MR Level 1

Is it possible to record certain actions on a raw file without opening the file in Photoshop?

Let's assume I have 250 files, all needing lens correction (and maybe other common tweaks) as a basic first step.  I'd like to be able to record an action that (1) opens my NEF file in ACR; (2) makes the lens correction based on the profile for the particular lens I used; (3) [other tweak--say noise reduction]; (4) [other tweak--say color temperature]; and then (5) closes the file generating nothing but the .xmp file.

Then when I go to work on each file, all my basic corrections have been made so that when I reopen later in ACR, I only have to make custom changes before finally opening in Photoshop.

I've tried a few things, scanned the forums, checked the online help center, gone through a few Adobe TV tutorials, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Any help?

I'm in CS6.

I just realized that this question probably belongs here rather than the ACR discussion.  I apologize for cross posting.

• 1. Re: Actions Possible Without Opening Raw File in Photoshop?
          Curt Y Level 7

Have you looked into Bridge templates?  Can make a template then copy metadata to multiple images.

• 2. Re: Actions Possible Without Opening Raw File in Photoshop?
            Jeff Schewe Level 5

Phoenix89MR wrote:

Is it possible to record certain actions on a raw file without opening the file in Photoshop?

No...an Action is something that records something in Photoshop. Yes, an Action can record ACR settings....but you need to actually end up opening the image in Photoshop and it will render the file.

What you really want to do is to look into Camera Raw Presets and using them while in Bridge. You would open a representative image, adjust the image, save a preset and then apply that preset to as many images as you want to in Bridge. Also note you can open multiple images in ACR, select them and adjust multple images at once. You can also adjust an image and then in Bridge, copy the settings from the one file and paste them to others.

Lots of way to accomplish what you want but not really by Actions in Photoshop.

• 3. Re: Actions Possible Without Opening Raw File in Photoshop?
              Phoenix89MR Level 1

Jeff:

Thanks.  All three methods work fine and is exactly what I wanted to do.  I am even impressed that the lens correction applied the correct lens profile where there were two or more files in the batch shot with different lenses.

Is there a practical limit to the number of files I can open in ACR and process if I choose the first two suggestions?  I really do have about 250 files that I want to make some common changes to, but I wonder if Photoshop/my computer can handle the volume.  (If it's relevant, I have a recent model Core i7 iMac with 8G of memory.  Not the fastest on the planet, but it handles other complex Photoshop tasks well.)

I appreciate your response.