3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2012 10:34 AM by elbiciclista

Can I batch process? I need identical effect processing of multiple video files

elbiciclista

I have just joined Creative Cloud, so these are very basic questions.....sorry.

I shoot videos of live bands using two cameras, so I usually end up with around 25 separate songs per show and 50 separate files (2 cams, two files per song). All the files are: 1920x1080 resolution, 23.976p frame rate, Pro Res 422 codec.

I currently edit in FCPX and color correct in DaVinci Resolve.

Because of low light conditions, I often need to use the effect Neat Video to remove noise. However, FCPX doesn't like Neat Video: freezes up, will restart rendering sometimes, etc.

So, I need a way to take the color-corrected files from Resolve and process with Neat Video, then import them into FCPX for multi-cam editing. (If Premiere Pro handles Neat Video well, then I may switch from FCPX  to Premiere Pro and do it all there.........but I need time to learn Premiere Pro).

So I decided to try After Effects for this. I just tested some files in AE and the Neat Video processing went well.

However, I need to batch process the files if possible. Currently for each file I am:

(1) Setting up a Composition

(2) Adding the Neat Video effect to the file

(3) Using the Neat Video window to adjust settings

(4) Setting the render settings

With my approach I will have to set up 50 separate Compositions.

Questions:

(1) Can I batch process all 50 files, with one set of settings? (I tried using multiple files in one composition, but AE only rendered out the top file).

(2) Can I tell AE that I want the render settings to be the same as the imported files (resolution, frame rate, etc.), rather than having to enter the render settings each time? I just want the rendered files to be identical to the original files, except for Neat Video processing.

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Can I batch process? I need identical effect processing of multiple video files
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

(1) Can I batch process all 50 files, with one set of settings?

Sure. You simply import them, drag them on the "New composition" icon, let itcreate 50 separate compositions which in turn you then add/drag&drop to the render queue.

(2) Can I tell AE that I want the render settings to be the same as the imported files (resolution, frame rate, etc.), rather than having to enter the render settings each time?

Yes. You simply define an output settings preset and make it the default.

None of what you describe is any problem, you just seriously lack in even the most basic stuff. Your journey starts here:

Getting started with After Effects

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Can I batch process? I need identical effect processing of multiple video files
            greaster

I don't think Mylenium understood you. You need to not only bring each of 50 clips into it's own Comp but then you need to apply an effect (Neat Video) to each one before going out to the Render Queue... right?

Here's what I would do. Import all 50 clips into your project. Select all of them and drag to Comp button (on the bottom of the Project panel) or right click - "New Comp from Selection". In the dialog that pops up selct "Single Composition", use dimensions from the clip of your choosing, select "Add to Render Queue" and select "Sequence Layers". Open the Comp and select all the layers (they may already be selected), apply the default Neat Video Effect to all of them (or apply it to one, tweak it, select all the other layers and copy/paste it).

Now download this script...

http://www.redefinery.com/ae/view.php?item=rd_RenderLayers

In After Effects go to File/Scripts/Run Script File and choose the rd_RenderLayers script. Make sure you are happy with the Render Module settings and the file naming and off you go.

You'll have all 50 clips in 1 Comp, with one place to copy effects and then each layer gets output back to an individual file.

• 3. Re: Can I batch process? I need identical effect processing of multiple video files
              elbiciclista Level 1

greaster,

This is great appoach, but I ran into a couple of problems.

(1) The Neat Video (NV) effect requires that it see a frame of each clip, so it can analyze the frame and adjust settings. Even though I normally load a preset so the analysis isn't necessary, NV still must see a frame first. I was able to hit "Options" on the first clip and load the preset, no problem. But for the remaining 49 clips in the Composition, I kept getting a message that NV must first see a frame of each of the other clips. I couldn't figure out how to bring up a frame on the other clips in the Composition. You proposed that I could alternatively copy and paste the effect, once I loaded the preset for the first clip. How do I copy and paste an effect from the first clip to the other clips?

(2) The durations of the clips vary greatly, from 2 minutes to almost 10 minutes. If I have all the clips in one Composition, how do I set the duration for each clip? Or must I set it to be longer than the longest clip? If I do the latter, the rendering time will be much greater than necessary. Is there no way to tell AE to render for the actual duration of each clip?

Thanks for your help.

Again, sorry for the newbie questions.