11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2012 8:58 AM by rtan73

A problem with small circles drawing...

Perfarator

I can't draw small circles and dots. Don't advise me to use the zoom. Is it a normal issue for Samsung Note 10.1 or Photoshop Touch?

• 1. Re: A problem with small circles drawing...
          Perfarator Level 1

I still need fix it. I can't draw properly!

• 2. Re: A problem with small circles drawing...
            ibarrien Adobe Employee

Hi,

what exactly do you mean by small circles? I can understand what you mean by a dot but not really how small you want the circles.
            Any pixel size ( Z x Y ) or screen shot would be nice to have.

Thanks,

Ignacio

• 3. Re: A problem with small circles drawing...
              Biliogadafr

I have the same problem on my samsung galaxy note 10.1 and PS touch v 1.2.0 (can't upgrade it without new official firmware).

And I really don't know how to post screenshot with items that cannot be painted with your software.

On this device drawing is done with stylus (If you dont know). Stylus provide great precision and allow to paint small details.

The problem is that brush does not start drawing immediately after stylus touching the screen. Instead of this it waits until user will move stylus away from start point by 3 millimiters. And only after that photoshop will draw the first segment of line. If you try to draw small circle with diameter of 3 mm photoshop will draw just start point. Because stylus will never leave 3 mm area around touching point. this also means that you can't draw lines with length less than 3mm.  And this also means that every line will start with 3mm straight segment.  So you can't draw small details.

This small thing (and also bugs with smudge and blur tools and opacity problems with brush and awful color picking tool) made painting with photoshop really tricky.

Maybe you made this 3mm margin to make your color picker work (which pick color only after touching the screen and then pressing side button). But it is unobvious for users (as you can see by questions on yor forums) and bring some additional problems with painting (as you can see in this post).

And what is really terrible is that I can't just delete your useless software without root rights because it was preinstalled by samsung. 

Best regards.

• 4. Re: A problem with small circles drawing...
                Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

In Android 4.0 (and above), you can take a screenshot by pressing both the power button and the volume down button at the same time for a brief second.

It should then be put into a subfolder called, "Screenshots." What I usually do is upload them to my Dropbox and then go to my desktop and post them here.

• 5. Re: A problem with small circles drawing...
                  Biliogadafr Level 1

I can take screenshots.:) This is not a problem. Thank you. But it will be useless. Because we are talking about the things that is impossibile to paint in photoshop touch.:) It's impossible to take screenshot of the image that you can NOT paint. But I can record a video of how I can't paint what I want .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwpQFeKLKBs&feature=youtu.be

regards.

• 6. Re: A problem with small circles drawing...
                    Near_Dark

I have exatly the same problem, any solution was found yet? With another drawing apps the s-pen works great, the problem appear to be related with ps touch only.

• 7. Re: A problem with small circles drawing...
                      rtan73

Think I what he's trying to say is that you can't draw a dot by just tapping the screen . PS Touch only adds paint when you start a stroke or start moving the brush. It would make it impossible to make a stipple effect. I never noticed that before. I have a Note also but think that it is a limitation of the app. If they change it to the way you wanted they would also need to changed the way the eye dropper tool would function also(at least with the s pen), because everytime you went to grab a color you would make a dot. They need to make it so you hold the button first then touch the screen to activate the eye dropper. That would also make it so you don't activate the screen capture by accident also.

Try LayerPaint. I'm using it until PS Touch is fixed if it ever is. LayerPaint does not have the problem that you mentioned and you can open .psd files. I work back and forth between it and Photoshop. In LayerPaint you use the button on the S Pen to switch between the brush and eraser. You hold it before you touch the screen so you don't have the problem I mentioned above. Layer Paint is missing transform tools and layer adjustments though. PS Touch seems to be the only layered drawing app that has those.

• 8. Re: A problem with small circles drawing...
                        Biliogadafr Level 1

rtan73 wrote:

They need to make it so you hold the button first then touch the screen to activate the eye dropper. That would also make it so you don't activate the screen capture by accident also.

It seems that this behavior is simply impossible on samsung galaxy note devices. I did some tests and didn't found how to disable screen capture in my test app. If you touch the screen with pressed side button application didn't receive this event at all. So it is impossible to detect that user press the side button and touch the screen. Why? The best answer is seems to be here. http://galaxynotespenchallenge.com/forum_topics/678 .

For me the best logic for eye dropper with this limitations will be: 1. pressing side button to switch to eye dropper tool (without touching the screen), 2. pick color by touching the screen without side button pressed 3. automatically back to brush tool when picking is complete.

• 9. Re: A problem with small circles drawing...
                          rtan73 Level 2

Thats not true. As I said in the earlier post I now use LayerPaint. To toggle between brush and eraser you hold the button then touch the screen. The tool will then switch to which ever tool you are not on. It works much better that way  because your timing does not have to be percise and you don't have to worry about capturing the screen by accident, and you don't accidently make a dot.  I wish it would switch to the color picker instead of the eraser. That's how I have it on my desktop Wacom, but it's still nice to have the eraser handy.

As far as the way that PS Touch has it, I would just be satisfied if the color picker, eraser, and brush all shared the same menu. That way you could easily switch between the three without having to back out and enter a new tool.  It's not like there's no room. Most of the bar is currentely emtply. I was actually going to suggest it in the new ideas catagory but until they make it so you can open .psd files its kind of pointless for me.

You would still have your problem of not being able to create a single point. Although they may get around to addressing the other issue with the color picker I doubt that your dot problem of yours will ever be addressed.

You really need to try LayerPaint, I think that it'll fit your style of working much better than PS Touch, at least for now. If I could combine the 2 apps it would be the prefect solution for me. I already sent an email to support for LayerPaint and others have addressed some of the problems with PS Touch. Hopefully one or the other will make the changes I need. Until then LayerPaint is a better fit for me. Adobe has a good track record so I'll keep hoping.

• 10. Re: A problem with small circles drawing...
                            Perfarator Level 1

Thanks. LayerPaint is realy better. But there is no color picking...

• 11. Re: A problem with small circles drawing...
                              rtan73 Level 2

The eye dropper tool is in the brush menu, but you can also have the color wheel(or square open while you paint).