7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 1:59 PM by steveo_tv

Importer Generic Error - Replacing with AE Comp

JonnyPhoenyx

Hey guys,

I saw that another user had posted a topic about this already, but the suggestions didn't work for me. I have a 2008 Macbook Pro with 4GB of RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor (not sure if that will affect the outcome)

I'm doing a project that uses a large amount of Apple ProRes 422 .mov files (all roughly 16GB each at 720 and located on a large external hardrive), with several subclips for each file. I made a new sequence (matching the codec) with 1 line of video and 1 line of audio. There are about 45 cuts and is only about 1min long.

I selected everything in the sequence, choose "Replace With After Effect Compostion," which launched AE. It got about....maybe 20% through the transfer (no bar, just guess based on what DID import), stopped, and gave me the "Importer reported a genreic error" message. I've tried several time since, with the same result. I dropped an exported .mov of the sequence into the project, and dragged-and-dropped the Pr sequence into AE and it worked/played, but I NEED layers to apply certain effects.

What are some solutions I can try to remedy this issue?

Thanks,

-Jon

• 1. Re: Importer Generic Error - Replacing with AE Comp
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I can't tell you what the problem might be, but another way to do that might be to just open AE and import the Premiere Pro project. Have you givem that a shot yet? Then just make a comp of the required duration and drop the sequence onto it. The layers will be there.

• 2. Re: Importer Generic Error - Replacing with AE Comp
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I NEED layers to apply certain effects.

Premiere Pro CS6 now has Adjustment Layers, just like AE.

• 3. Re: Importer Generic Error - Replacing with AE Comp
              JonnyPhoenyx Level 1

I can't tell you what the problem might be, but another way to do that might be to just open AE and import the Premiere Pro project. Have you givem that a shot yet? Then just make a comp of the required duration and drop the sequence onto it. The layers will be there.

I just tried it, but now I was given this error:

"After Effects AEGP: Plugin Premier Pro Import: Unknown Error. (5027 :: 12)"

The only plugin I can think of would be Video Copilot's "Twitch," but I haven't had issues with it before. It's the only 3rd party plugin I have installed.

• 4. Re: Importer Generic Error - Replacing with AE Comp
                JonnyPhoenyx Level 1

Alright. I isolated the problem. After screwing around with it all morning, I determined that the dynamic link does not like speed changes. About 80% of my timeilne is clips with various speed changes. (I was timing with music). I copied the sequence, changed all clips back to 100%, and the sequence imported without an error. Which is great and all, but now since I don't have my speed changes, my edit's all out of whack. :/

New problem: Is there a way to import speed changes to AE? I'd rather not spend editing time changing all the speeds in AE, it's much quicker to do it in Pr.

Do I need to make a new discussion for this question?

• 5. Re: Importer Generic Error - Replacing with AE Comp
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Well, I don't know why you are going to After Effects so I don't know if you are going to leave it as a Premiere Pro project or export it to a digital intermediate, but if you still have the original sequence, there are ways to copy the speed changes from one clip to another, and if it happen to be the same clip but with After Effects changes made, it could work.

According to this page: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7f47 a.html the speed changes should work OK. Maybe copying and pasting from Pr to Ae instead of dynamic linking would work.

• 6. Re: Importer Generic Error - Replacing with AE Comp
                    TheLorry123456

For me it says this every time i try to open adobe cs6 i says

1. After Effecxts warning: Unkown Exception

2. After Effects: AEGP AEDynamicLinkServer: Unknown error in Adobe dynamic link ( 5027 :: 12 )

3. After Effecxts warning: Unkown Exception

4. After Effecxts warning: Unkown Exception

5. After effects can't continue: unexpected failure during application startup

6. Closes down and nothing is going on after this, why is this happening it used to work just fine?! I tried re-installing didn't work!

Any Help I REALLY NEED AFTER EFFECTS NOW!

• 7. Re: Importer Generic Error - Replacing with AE Comp
                      steveo_tv Level 1

I know this is an old post, but I've got the exact same problem and I'm stumped. I'm in CC2014 (and have tried in 2015) with same results. I have a complex premiere project with tons of speed changes and can't import the project into AE. Did you ever find a solution?

(I've reduced everything but the clips. no audio. I've removed all effects (except "time remapping" (speed change)) but continue to get the same import errors when trying to import to AE, where speed changed clips simple won't import and I get the 5027 :: 12 error.)

My source files are .mxf, I'm afraid I don't the particular camera they are from.

-s:o