16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2014 4:40 PM by JurgenD

Windows 8 Pro and GPU.

Henry Lawton

I have installed Windows 8 Pro. Photoshop CS6 does not recognize my graphic processor unit (AMD). I have installed the latest drivers from AMD for Windows 8. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the model of you AMD GPU, and what is the installed video driver number and date?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
            Rirath

I'm having a similar issue with my ATI (AMD) Radeon 4890.

Since upgrading to Windows 8 yesterday I'm imformed "Photoshop has detected an error in your display driver.  Update or reinstall the display driver and check "Use Graphics Processor" to retry."  Trouble is, AMD to my understanding will not release a new Windows 8 driver for the 4000 series and instead say to use Microsoft's built in driver, which I am doing.  The driver is:  "ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)" and is the newest according to the update dialog.

Under the "3D" setting in Photoshop the description at bottom gives a bit more detail:  "Your system display driver has caused Photoshop to crash and you need to update or reinstall this driver to the latest version."

So far my usual 3D PC games run fine.

• 3. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
              Noel Carboni Level 8

I hope AMD chooses to provide drivers to provide full GPU support for older products to support Windows 8, but it's not a given that they will.  They don't make a dime doing so directly, though it could generate a lot of bad feelings if they don't.  AMD has traditionally been better at this than nVidia; it will be interesting to see how it goes between the two.

For anyone reading this, you might want to wait until the dust settles after the release of Windows 8 before assuming it will fully support Photoshop on your existing hardware.

You can also try an evaluation version of Windows 8 Enterprise free for 90 days.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
                Henry Lawton Level 1

My AMD GPU is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series. I installed the Windows 8 software from AMD early this morning, no help.

Henry

"Be who you is, Not who you ain't.

'Cause if you ain't who you is, You is who you ain't."

Anonymous Blues Singer

• 5. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
                  Rirath Level 1

Unfortunately Henry, I think we're in the same boat.   While I'm quite disappointed with AMD for retiring a perfectly good line this early - so much so that this has cemented my decision to go with Intel/nVidia products on my next build - I'm not sure this Photoshop issue is entirely their fault either.  Why is it that Photoshop CS6 64-bit can not work with the Microsoft provided AMD driver?  I can play Diablo III and Skyrim fine, but I can't push pixels in Photoshop?  That does not seem right.

I'm just not sure if the problem lies with AMD, Adobe, or both.

• 6. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
                    Henry Lawton Level 1

I believe both, we shall see.

Henry

"To be mature is to accept imperfections."

• 7. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
                      Curt Y Level 7

Does anyone know if old Nvidia cards are any better at supporting Win 8?

• 8. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
                        cksalmon

I just installed Windows 8 Pro 64-bit this morning. Ps CS6 also failed to recognize my graphics processor (AMD Radeon HD 4200).

After some digging around, I got to this link from here. I downloaded the package, not expecting much.

But, lo and behold, it actually worked for me. Ps now recognizes my crappy old graphics processor. It ain't much, but I really don't want to live without scrubby zoom.

Good luck.

• 9. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
                          Rirath Level 1

Thanks!  This worked for me with my Radeon HD 4980 it seems.  Didn't realize this was a problem with all OpenGL!  Minecraft wouldn't even start with the default driver.

Specifically, I followed these steps:

Downloaded drivers from: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista64.aspx

Unpacked files (run it or extract with 7-zip) but cancelled Catalyst install process after unpacking.

Went to device manager (control panel -> device manager or winkey+x -> device manager)

Right clicked my card under Display Adapters -> 'Update Driver Software...'

Click 'Browse My Computer For Driver Software', then 'Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer', then 'Have Disk', then 'Browse' and find the directory where the drivers are in the package you just extracted.

Example: 'C:\AMD\Support\12-6-legacy_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_whql\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF'

Example: 'C:\AMD\Support\12-4_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF'

Here I had two inf files and I wasn't sure if I needed the one that began C7 or CH.  I guessed C7.

Clicked next, drivers installed, screen flickered - Photoshop and Minecraft both working fine.

For those of you on Mobility devices, there's some specific steps here:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1086017-ati-radeons-and-windows-8-the-fix/#entry155235 71

LockerGnome echos these steps for both mobility and desktop cards, giving them some credit:

http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2012/09/29/make-your-old-graphics-drivers-work-in-windo ws-8/

But I was not at all able to find the LH6A_INF folder he mentions, just W76A_INF

I'm also not going to try the "bcdedit" commands he recommends until I see reason to, like if the driver reverts after reboot or Windows Update or something.  Nor have I seen any graphical issues in Metro yet.

Again - Photoshop GPU functions and other OpenGL applications like Minecraft seem to be working fine.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
                            Henry Lawton Level 1

Thanks, I am downloading the current version now. I hope all works for me as well.

Henry

• 11. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
                              Henry Lawton Level 1

This worked for me.

Thanks very much.

Henry

• 12. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
                                cksalmon Level 1

Glad it worked.

All--

I did something--or something happened--that resulted in a LoadLibrary failure (error 126) and, once again, Ps CS6 failed to recognize my graphics processor.

If you run across this error, see here for a quick fix (assuming you have the driver linked above installed, I assume).

• 13. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
                                  photoshopman72nc

The solutions here will indeed get out beloved Adobe products working again but there is a hidden cost.  That cost is that it breaks some Windows Metro tile apps.

The apps in particular that I've tested are

• iHeartRadio
                                  • Netflix
                                  • TuneIn Radio

These 3 will not work with a older driver. They will either not have sound or never finish buffering the stream or give a error.

Re-install the Microsoft driver and these work as expected.

The reason why I posted this is to kind of give everyone a heads up on some hidden complications that will arise when doing this.

Thanks AMD for making us have to choose like this.

• 14. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
                                    JurgenD

I have installed Windows 8.1 Pro. Photoshop CS6 does not recognize my graphic processor at all  (Intel HD Graphics 3000 ) and I can not use openGL ... it's always flickering    I have installed the latest drivers from Intel for Windows 8.1

I did not had this problems with Windows 7 at all .. it just started by updating to Windows 8

I have 16GB ram available

• 15. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
                                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Intel needs to make drivers that provide the necessary functionality Photoshop requires.  It's not a basic issue with Windows 8 - I am able to run Photoshop CS6 on Windows 8 without problems because AMD has made display drivers that provide all the necessary features.

Unfortunately, if you're using the latest Intel-supplied driver for that Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPU, you may be out of luck.  I would have thought Intel would have made compatible Windows 8 drivers for older chipsets, but nothing forces them to do so.

Can you put a video card in your system and just shut off the Intel 3000 hardware (which I assume is integrated on your motherboard) through your BIOS?  If so, as an example I have had good Photoshop performance from a VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 7850 and the latest display drivers (e.g., the Catalyst 13.12 release).

-Noel

• 16. Re: Windows 8 Pro and GPU.
                                        JurgenD Level 1

Yeah it looks like I'm out of luck with this ... Intel hasn't done anything yet to make a compaible windows 8 driver at all ;(

I have a Sony All-In-One and can't change the card at all ... so I'll turn of the 3D feature in Photoshop and it will work fine