8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2012 4:15 AM by John Ellenberger

Warp Stabilizer Stuck?

John Ellenberger Level 1

I was trying to finalize a show and dropped the Warp Stabilizer into one of the clips.  Its about a 5 minute clip.   On my very fast computer with 16GB of memory it took 20 min to "analyze" and it has been "stabilizing" for 2 hours.  I tried getting out of the project to see if I could kill it off but when I reloaded it went right back to "stabilizing".  Is this normal?   From all the previews I knew it wasn't real time but if this is typical I can't imagine using this thing.

I see folks commenting on the speed but nothing like 3 hours for 5 min. clip.

What should I be expecting?   I would like to stabilize one more clip in the video but I'm almost afraid to use this thing now.

• 1. Re: Warp Stabilizer Stuck?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

On my very fast computer with 16GB of memory

Care to define 'very fast'? What OS, what version of PR, what CPU, what video card, what disk setup, etc.?

• 2. Re: Warp Stabilizer Stuck?
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Trim a clip to 10 seconds and try that. If it takes 10 minutes, then you know you are stuck with a 60:1 ratio and you have decisions to make.

Also, take a look at the video. If one part of it is really, really bad, you might want to exclude that part. Perhaps if you bumped the camera. That might be part of the problem.

Just for reference, I just stabilized 10 seconds (300 frames) in six minutes. The analysis took the six minutes, the second step was probably no more than 10 seconds, if that. I was expecting longer and looked away from the stop watch for a few seconds.

And my PC is quite fast, thank you very much!

So, if it is still stabilizing, you have a problem. Create a new project, use a 10 second clip. That should give you a baseline if the stabilizing doesn't get stuck again.

• 3. Re: Warp Stabilizer Stuck?
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Even 6 minutes seem very long for a 10 second clip.

My system is 3 years old and a 12 second clip 50p, handheld with a pan all the way just just over 3 minute in default setting.

• 4. Re: Warp Stabilizer Stuck?
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Ann,

Perhaps because my footage is from an Android phone? The codec might be lot harder for Adobe to work with?

• 5. Re: Warp Stabilizer Stuck?
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

this was a 50 mbps clip from a canon xf100.

Tried an iphone clip. 3,5 minutes.

• 6. Re: Warp Stabilizer Stuck?
                    John Ellenberger Level 1

The machine is a Core i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz with 16GB of memory.  The data files are on a Hitachi 7200 rpm SATA drive (separate from the OS which is the same model drive).  The grahics card is a Radeon HD 6800 with 1 GB of memory 128 GB/sec. memory bandwidth.  Unforuntely the graphics card is not one of the few that can be used for acceleration.

• 7. Re: Warp Stabilizer Stuck?
                      John Ellenberger Level 1

To answer the other questions:

1) No it was not particularly shakey--it was shot with a monopod so I was mainly trying to smooth out the panning.

2) It was shot with a Panasonic  AG-HPX170 so its not a weird codec (or at least not an uncommon one)

I have since done a few more clips.  It is still "walk away and have a cup of coffee" slow but it is finished when I get back.  I also find that I have to rerender the work area to get things to perform as I continue to edit after applying the effect.

• 8. Re: Warp Stabilizer Stuck?
                        John Ellenberger Level 1

...oh and going back and reviewing the problem clip the warp stablizer had done some pretty weird stuff--at one point the clip starts to rotate in 3D.  I ended up taking it out of that particlar clip and just lived with my not-so-smooth pan.  If I am feeling really adventuresome I may reapply to see what happens.