4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2012 4:12 PM by the_wine_snob

Focus, camcorder lens question

_Paz_ Level 1

I'm trying out a new camcorder which has a 10x optical zoom.  I am controlling zoom with a remote control that came with the camcorder.  Suspended from the ceiling, the camcorder does not move.  My (watercolor) paper lays flat on my drafting table and it does not move.  I turned "face tracking" off and set focus for a bounding box in the center of the screen, which I clicked to select in the beginning.  Lighting is bright, so I doubt that is an issue.  Image stabilization is Off.

Focus is great from very wide at 1 through 4.  Another click of the remote takes the zoom level to the first level 5, still in focus. 

Another click is still 5... but out of focus.  Another click, another fuzzy 5.

More clicks,  fuzzy all through the sixes.

More clicks - and Focus is achieved in some of the 7s and 8s!!!!!  

then out of focus again all the way to zoom level 10.

I could understand if everything was out of focus after the first 5 but I don't understand why focus is achieved again in some of the 7 - 8 range.  Is this normal or is there something wrong with the lens?

thanks,

Paz

• 1. Re: Focus, camcorder lens question
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When dealing with zoom lenses, where auto-focus is not active, I zoom in to the max, open the aperture for the most shallow DOF, foucs there, and then set my level of zoom to suit, then stop down to the necessary aperture.

Being able to see the critical focus is more difficult with an LCD finder, and most video cameras do not allow for easy aperture adjustment, so things might be very different on your camera.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Focus, camcorder lens question
            _Paz_ Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I should have said, "Autofocus" is on.  Each time the zoom is changed the camcorder quickly searches and finds focus, except for this range in the middle...and naturally, the range where it won't focus is where I need to be most of the time.

You're right, the little lcd screen doesn't make it for quality control.  I have the camcorder connected to a 23" flat screen, high resolution monitor via HDMI cable in order to be able to see that what I'm doing is working.

This camcorder is supposed to have manual focusing.  Perhaps that could be adjusted using the remote control as well, although  time used moving the camera from painting to palette, changing zoom levels and focusing is a distraction both for me while painting and for viewers.  I'll check it out though.  That might make it possible to use this particular camera.

thanks,

Paz

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Focus, camcorder lens question
              _Paz_ Level 1

Bill,

Thanks!  You fixed it!!!!

It took going through your instructions in manual mode (several times) as well as selecting "Tele Macro" mode to get it to work,  and frankly, I've forgotten the order, but things are good now.

I began with an f/stop of 1.2 but found closing the f/stop to  f/3.5 gives good focus though the range.  The second 5 is still ever so slightly soft, but not significantly enough now for me to return the camcorder.

Thanks again, I never would have dreamed of going through these steps as a solution.

Paz

• 4. Re: Focus, camcorder lens question
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Paz,

Great news, and glad that things are working for you.

Good luck, and happy shooting,

Hunt

PS - If all is functioning correctly, perhaps see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058744?tstart=0