1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 28, 2012 12:15 AM by Mylenium

How do I make After Effects files in Windows 7 open in AE CS5 instead of the default CS5.5?

corchard2013

I have AE 5.5 and 5 installed on a Windows 7 machine and I'd like .AEP files open in CS5 by default.

• I've tried using windows explorer to specify using the CS5 program but it defaults back to CS5.5
      • I've tried using Bridge CS5 and CS5.5 Edit/Preferences/File Type Associations but After Effects isn't even listed for some reason.

The only way I can open files in CS5 is by opening CS5 and opening the files from there. Trouble is I have more CS5 files than CS5.5 and I collaborate with several other artists only running CS5 so converting them to CS5.5 isn't an option right now.

Any ideas?

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Chris

• 1. Re: How do I make After Effects files in Windows 7 open in AE CS5 instead of the default CS5.5?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nah, won't work. You would have to completeley erase the "After Effects Project" file type from your file associtaions and then literally rebuild it from scratch. Yes, that means heavy surgery by digging into the Registry and its HKEY_CASSES_ROOT branch as just removing it from the Explorer file associations still leaves the file type class in place. Long answer short: Just leave things as they are and keep your work organized. I never use double-clicking and I'm juggling versions from CS4 to CS6 every day, so it's possible.

Mylenium