10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2012 5:12 PM by Ann Bens

Codec install manually?

hurleyvcr1

just installed the free cineform codec with the exe file thinking that it would be recognised by premiere pro cs6.It doesn't show up in my sequence settings and doesn't recognize

the cineform file.What folder within premiere holds the codecs so that I can place it there manually?

• 1. Re: Codec install manually?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you restart your computer after the install?

• 2. Re: Codec install manually?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

In nearly every case, a CODEC is installed to the OS, and, as John T. points out, after a reboot, is often available to PrPro - though, depending on the exact CODEC, maybe not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Codec install manually?
              josephs51576386 Level 3

Did you select the .avi format option setting inside AME and then see if the codec is listed as cineform go pro in the codec options drop down?

• 4. Re: Codec install manually?
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you mean Cineform Studio?

There are no sequence settings not even for Neoscene.

Just make a sequence that matches the avi.

The codec is found in the Adobe/Common/.../Mediacore.

• 5. Re: Codec install manually?
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

The great thing about the free software is that I can still edit the files that I captured or converted to the Cineform codec years ago.

I can't, however, create new Cineform files from my HDV camera without purchasing Neoscene.  Interestingly enough, I can export to the Cineform codec.

If Premiere Pro doesn't recognize the Cineform AVI, what message do you get?

• 6. Re: Codec install manually?

I do not remember a message, but i believe the frame stays black in Premiere.

If the avi's are already in a sequence and the codec has not been installed you will not be able to open the sequence: this project contains a sequence that could not be opened etc.

• 7. Re: Codec install manually?
                      hurleyvcr

Yes, the cineform codec is listed in AME.But another thing that I noticed is that not all presets are available in sequence setting dialog box...Red for example, but If I bring in a red file, It will play it and create the proper sequence when I drop it on the new sequence item.why would it recognise it but not show that red option in the sequence presets?I have tried deactivating and reactivate but no joy.I am assuming that the codec is there if it is playing the file but not showing up in sequence presets.

• 8. Re: Codec install manually?
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I think you and I have similar misconceptions about CS6. I think mine is finally wearing off.

We used to try to find the exact right project setting for our footage. Nowadays, it doesn't really matter in most cases.

If I shoot some 1920X1080 with my cell phone, I have quite a few choices for presets.

As far as I can tell, I can pick any of these for my project and it won't matter

ARRI 1080p 29.97

AVCHD 1080p30

Canon XF MPEG2 1080p30

Digital SLR 1080p30

and many more. Just the fact that it is 1920X1080 square pixel at 29.97 frames/second seems good enough. They all seem to have a different number of audio tracks and track types, but other than that the video looks just the same.

But be careful, AVC-Intra AVC-I 100 is OK but the AVC-I 50 does not use square pixels. Of course, neither does HDV.

Having said all of that, if I import HDV footage into a SD DV-AVI project and I create the sequence by dropping HDV footage on it, my sequence will be exactly right for my footage regardless of the project setting.

As far as I can tell, even the titles and synthetic media know what size sequence you are working on and adjust the frame size of the newly created resource accordingly.

• 9. Re: Codec install manually?
                          hurleyvcr Level 1

So,am I correct to say that sequence presets are so you can get proper playback when editing and does not affect your final output when sending to Encore for example?

What would happen if you had a progresive clip that matched everthing from a sequence preset except the preset only had interlace option and you went to sequence settings and manually changed it to progressive from interlaced,would that be the same as having a sequence preset that matched your clip?....(I probably could have asked this same question with half as many words but I am getting tired.)

• 10. Re: Codec install manually?

Just drag the CF avi in the New Item icon: done.