3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2012 10:25 AM by thedigitaldog

RGB to CMYK

SimonaD1

This is my first time sending my catalog to a commercial printer (offset).  I converted from RGB to CMYK as instructed, sent over a 300 dpi pdf, and thankfully requested a hard copy proof before sending the job to print.

The proof is very disappointing.  The model (facial) shots look like crap = they are orangey and splotchy, where before (and even now, on my monitor) the photos are fine.

What can I do?  I cannot fix what I cannot see on my monitor, but the output looks horrible....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

• 1. Re: RGB to CMYK
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

HOW you convert to CMYK (the profile that defines the print process) is CRITICAL. What did you use? Was it a CMYK process that actually defines the print conditions? Sounds not likely or the proof is way off. The idea is to convert from RGB to CMYK were you specifically target the conversion for the proof which should match the actual print conditions. Something is way off.

This might help:

http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200703_rodneycm.pdfhttp://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200512_rodney cm.pdf

• 2. Re: RGB to CMYK
            SimonaD1 Level 1

Thank you so much Andrew for responding.  I'm feeling very out of my depth here.  I guess my best bet is to wait for the printer to open tomorrow and ask them these questions about which CMYK profile to use.

Playing with my monitor and tilting it up and down, I do see the pink splotches though. argh... yes, in over my head... I might switch the model shots to BW and just have to product (earrings) in color.  that would solve it :-)

• 3. Re: RGB to CMYK
              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I guess my best bet is to wait for the printer to open tomorrow and ask them these questions about which CMYK profile to use.

Depending on the printer, you'll either get a legitimate answer and hopefully the house profile to use OR a pile of BS like "just use SWOP". Who you speak to and the shop mentality here can either get you setup correctly or add more confusion to the process.

CMYK conversions are super easy... IF you have the proper recipe for the CMYK process. Or it can be super diffcult and expensive (when you get bogus information or you end up at the press check with one butt ugly and expensive print job). Be very careful here! If you don't know exactly what to do, you should not be conducting these conversions!!!