3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2006 12:34 PM by corrodedlotus

weird bug in static methods

corrodedlotus
      i keep getting this error when testing for syntax errors:

The name of this class, 'Word', conflicts with the name of another class that was loaded, 'Word'.

i already searched about this error in livedocs and most of them said that it's a time based error. So i checked and adjusted my time 1-2 days forward and back but it still showed.

Then I tested again and I found out the culprit:

I have two classes, named Word and Game. Game has a static method for shuffling arrays and the Word class calls it in one of its method(shown here):

function shuffleWord() { ...
      Game.shuffle(myArray_arr);
      ... }

when I comment it out the class compiles fine. But when I don't BOTH classes complain with the above error(for the Game class, it complains about another Game class).

can anyone shed light here? Why can't I call a static method from another class?

If no one can answer the questions above, can anyoe suggest a better way of calling the shuffle(besides just putting it in both classes - it's kinda dirty and im a little bit OC lol) but if there's no 'elegant' fix for it then I'll just have to copy paste teh same method on both classes :(
        • 1. Re: weird bug in static methods
          blemmo Level 1
          I guess this is because in Game, it imports the class Word, and in Word, it imports the class Game, so what should be imported first? It's a circle...
          So you should rethink the design of your game. Maybe create a 3rd class with the static method(s), or have the method in Word and use it from Game. It's always good to have as few references to other classes as possible. I guess Game will need Word, but Word maybe doesn't need Game as well, so keep Word independent from Game and don't reference to Game there, if it's not totally necessary.

hth,
          blemmo
          • 2. Re: weird bug in static methods
            corrodedlotus Level 1
            hmm ill try making a 3rd class with static functions now :) thanks!
            • 3. Re: weird bug in static methods
              corrodedlotus Level 1
              actually it still errors when i save it but i think its a program bug already..right? it just has erros when i save it then test for errors. if i try to edit it then test for errors, it says everything is ok. when i save it, then test for errors, the rror shows up again.

WEIRD