14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2015 5:42 AM by thebobwolf

delete images from Library

Paul_C_B Level 1

I have searched every possible avenue to find a way to delete succesfuly unused images from the library and can find no way to do this.

Is this really the case ??? if so it needs to be addressed immediately. Its very common to try many images in this sort of composition and the auto renamimg protocol makes it virtually impossible to weed out unused images at  publish time

Comments please from someone at Adobe ?

regards Paul

• 1. Re: delete images from Library
          KlUMZeE_Jeff Level 1

If you go to your projects folder, into the "images" folder and delete the images you don't want to use anymore, they will be removed from your library.

• 2. Re: delete images from Library
            jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi Paul,

The rationale for the current behavior for asset deletion in Edge Animate is as it is because multiple compositions could be using the same images folder in the project folder, and it could be very easy to inadvertantly delete an asset from one composition and overlook the fact that another composition is using the image, which would now be offline.

So instead, we provide a right-click menu on a selected asset in the Library which allows you to reveal it within the images folder for the project in the Finder/Explorer, and from there you can choose to send the image to the trash. If you don't empty the trash, you still have the opportunity to retrieve the image in case it was used in another composition in the project folder.

hth,

Joe

2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: delete images from Library
              Paul_C_B Level 1

Thanks Joe and Jeff the procedure works a little strange but non-the-less effective

regards Paul

• 4. Re: delete images from Library
                PintoSixty Level 1

There is another problem with not being able to delete assets from the library panel:

In Adobe Muse, if you place an .oam file within a website, then use the "upload to ftp host ..." option, all of the files in the library will be uploaded to your assets folder on your web server, whether you want them or not. Here's how I discovered this:  I placed an oam file on a certain website I was working on, then uploaded to my ftp host, choosing to upload "only modified files".  I was then called away from the computer for around 30 minutes. When I returned to the screen, the darn files were still uploading!!  So, I sat and watched the file load progress.  And, sure enough, my bandwidth was being eaten alive by the uploading of every single library asset in Edge Animate, even the ones not needed for the original oam file.  And, yes, you guessed it ... I had to log into my asset folders for 4 websites I'm working on, all of which have an Edge animation, to delete the unwanted files from the site's assets folders.  This took me a couple of hours and around 3 gig of file deletion.  Sheesh ...

Now I've learned to publish my oam files, place them in my Muse sites, upload them to my various hosting services, then go back to the local asset folders (images, media, scripts, etc.) and copy the library asset files to a separate folder.  Then, I delete the originals from the asset folders.  This in turn clears the library panel for the next project. 

I hope I'm explaining this clearly.   I think the .oam files should be created using only the files used in the project, the ones in the timeline and on the stage.  Is there any way to keep unused library assets from being saved in the file?

• 5. Re: delete images from Library
                  PintoSixty Level 1

There is another problem with not being able to delete assets from the library panel:

In Adobe Muse, if you place an .oam file within a website, then use the "upload to ftp host ..." option, all of the files in the library will be uploaded to your assets folder on your web server, whether you want them or not. Here's how I discovered this:  I placed an oam file on a certain website I was working on, then uploaded to my ftp host, choosing to upload "only modified files".  I was then called away from the computer for around 30 minutes. When I returned to the screen, the darn files were still uploading!!  So, I sat and watched the file load progress.  And, sure enough, my bandwidth was being eaten alive by the uploading of every single library asset in Edge Animate, even the ones not needed for the original oam file.  And, yes, you guessed it ... I had to log into my asset folders for 4 websites I'm working on, all of which have an Edge animation, to delete the unwanted files from the site's assets folders.  This took me a couple of hours and around 3 gig of file deletion.  Sheesh ...

Now I've learned to publish my oam files, place them in my Muse sites, upload them to my various hosting services, then go back to the local asset folders (images, media, scripts, etc.) and copy the library asset files to a separate folder.  Then, I delete the originals from the asset folders.  This in turn clears the library panel for the next project.

I hope I'm explaining this clearly.   I think the .oam files should be created using only the files used in the project, the ones in the timeline and on the stage.  Is there any way to keep unused library assets from being saved in the file

• 6. Re: delete images from Library
                    marty32 Level 1

.oam files are actually just compressed packages, so you can delete any unneeded images out of them by:

1. Rename the .oam file with a .zip extension

2. Uncompress the file. This will create a folder with a config.xml file and an Assets folder. In the Assets folder, there is an images subfolder.

3. You can delete any unneeded images out of this folder. If you need to check what files the Edge composition actually uses, the file filename_oam.xml in the assets folder lists the required files as a  series of <require> statements.

4. Re-compress as a .zip archive, and rename as an .oam file.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: delete images from Library
                      signcarver Level 1

How can i clear the Images panel and the Symbol panel. I started with a brand new file, deleted all previous directories (folders and files) and the old image names and symbol names are still there.

OK - i may have just answered my own question... I exited Edge Animate and restarted it and now the images and symbols are gone.

• 8. Re: delete images from Library
                        Robyn_cpl Level 2

How do you get around the issue of when you publish multiple edge compositions to the same publish folder it makes 1 images folder.

But the issue here is that if you have 3 images named header.png but they are all different.

Whichever composition is published last that will be the image that will take over the other 2.

I know the simple solution to this is name everything completely different but is there anything that Edge Animate is going to do in the future to help this issue?

• 9. Re: delete images from Library
                          vmedium

If I delete a file from finder, that is in the images directory. Edge will start throwing an error that says to restart Edge. I've read help that says to try opening the html file and some other things. But this is getting to be a very big problem. The file I just spend a few hours working on, now completely doesn't work because I deleted three guide images.

If I'm reading this correctly. The only way to delete an image is through finder. But once I delete an image edge asks me to reload, and then breaks, and wont open the file correctly ever again.

• 10. Re: delete images from Library
                            resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I Am wondering if you have one or several symbols that still have the images. In which case you need to delete the obsolete symbols that is if you are not using it any more Or just delete the empty image reference in the symbols.

OTherwise i I am not sure what is going on because I delete images all the time and do not run into this problem.

• 11. Re: delete images from Library
                              vmedium Level 1

Maybe I'll record a video later. But here is the steps I follow.

1. Make new edge file
                              2. Import a single image
                              3. In the library right click and view in finder
                              4. Delete the image
                              5. Back in edge, errors are thrown, I select 'reload'
                              6. This prompts me to save and restart edge, which I do
                              7. This never stops happening, and the only way to get around it is to do a save as another file name
                              8. Then I delete the original edge set of files
                              9. Then rename the save-as version to the original name, this seems to update the edge files that are still looking for that old missing image

I've started just leaving the guide images in and deleting them from the publish folder before delivery because there is no way to delete the darn image.

• 12. Re: delete images from Library
                                pittsburgh_joe Level 3

The prompt when Edge notices something changed with it's project assets is normal ..it asking you to restart Edge, isn't.  Are you on a Mac?

• 13. Re: delete images from Library
                                  vmedium Level 1

I am on a mac. OSX 10.10.4 with Adobe Edge Animate CC 2015

I'm aware of the 'Edge notices something changes' dialog. Although it looks scary I see it's part of the normal operation.

Once this happens, the file is completely screwed. It looks like the associating files of the library are never getting updated to stop looking for that deleted file. (I looked in the various support files and still see it referenced after the removal and reload) unless I do a full save as as I mentioned before.

• 14. Re: delete images from Library
                                    thebobwolf Level 1

Has a solution been found for this behaviour?

Exactly the same thing is happening to me. Delete a file from the images folder and restart Edge, then the Edge project file is Toast. There is an error message saying to check Javascript but having followed several instructions on how, however this doesn't solve anything, the project file is still toast.

I like Edge, but it's still pretty buggy. Workaround fudging shouldn't be a part of everyday workflow.