11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 6:23 AM by Steven L. Gotz

How do I maximize quality of tiff files in Adobe PP cs6

pa777

Hi.

I'm importing tiff files 3528 x 3630 pixels, 24 bit depth, into Premiere Pro cs6, and then scaling to frame in cs6.

Would the quality be any better if I downsized them outside of cs6 and if so what would be a good program to do this in.

The best results I've had with exporting in terms of quality have been with the f4v format.

avi, mp4, and all the other ones are quite lossy. And there is little improvement when I alter the codec or bit depth, so I assume either I'm doing something wrong or the tiff files arent simpatico with the cs6 system.

What is the best way to maintain the integrity and high quality of the original images?

Any help would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: How do I maximize quality of tiff files in Adobe PP cs6
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Use Photoshop. Scale the image to fit the correct frame size in Photoshop unless you are going to pan the title.

• 2. Re: How do I maximize quality of tiff files in Adobe PP cs6
            pa777 Level 1

Hi Steven

Thanks very much for the help there. That was what I thought I would try next so thanks very much for affirming that for me.

I guess cs6 gets rid of quite a few pixels to downsize and I also guess that photoshop does it differently

Thanks again

• 3. Re: How do I maximize quality of tiff files in Adobe PP cs6
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not only that, but overly large pictures MAY cause crashing... this may be better in CS6, but I have read of problems with CS5, and maybe Elements

-Too Large May = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

-And another crash report http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 4. Re: How do I maximize quality of tiff files in Adobe PP cs6
                pa777 Level 1

Hi Steven

Another thing Im noticing is that my file size when I export is very small.

Cs6 estimates a file size of 1500mb, and then the file is 12mb when exported. The music file alone is actually 98mb before I import. is there some compressions etting that is there that I am missing.

Even when I export as uncompressed avi the file is also lossy.

I figues I must be doing something wrong in regards to exporting and settings.

• 5. Re: How do I maximize quality of tiff files in Adobe PP cs6
                  pa777 Level 1

Thanks John, thats good to know

• 6. Re: How do I maximize quality of tiff files in Adobe PP cs6
                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                    avi, mp4, and all the other ones are quite lossy. And there is little improvement when I alter the codec or bit depth, so I assume either I'm doing something wrong or the tiff files arent simpatico with the cs6 system.

First and foremost, AVI (as well as MP4) is just a container. The quality of your exports does depend on a codec inside a container, bit rate and a bit depth. For example, I use UT 4444 or UT 444 codec (which are members of UT Video codec family) inside of AVI container so as to export lossless digital intermediate, and those UT codecs provide an excellent quality identical to 32 bit TGA or TIFF sequence.

Sorry for that, but you need to start from the basics. Here is 'What are the best export settings?' FAQ entry.

• 7. Re: How do I maximize quality of tiff files in Adobe PP cs6
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

What is the purpose of the export?

If it is for YouTube, use their H.264 preset, for Vimeo, use theirs.

What frame size are you editing in? With large images, you can easily use an HD format like 1080p. 

If you tell us what you plan on doing with the video, we can offer much better advice. Personally. most of my stuff goes to Vimeo or YouTube. I am going to start playing around with HTML5 on my own web site just for fun, but I imagine that the YouTube settings will work there as well.

• 8. Re: How do I maximize quality of tiff files in Adobe PP cs6
                        pa777 Level 1

Hi Fuzzy

I read the link you sent and watched the videos and they were informative and instructive.

But they havent helped with this particular problem.

I tried avi lossless setting, avi with lagerith codec, and others, but they all look worse than the a4v I am using, contrary to logic, at least as far as I understand it.

The tiffs are quite large and I had to scale to frame in PP, which I thought might cause a problem, but I resized them in photoshop and that looked even worse.

I havent tried UT 4444 but will give it a try.

It seems odd to me that a smaller size file that Im getting and one that is compressed av4 is looking shaprer more detailed and with truer color in relation to the original tiff, but thats whats happening.

• 9. Re: How do I maximize quality of tiff files in Adobe PP cs6
                          pa777 Level 1

Hi Steven

The purpose of the export is to create the highest quality version possible, irrespective of file size.

I have some other versions for youtube and vimeo. Yes, Im using HD.

The strange thing is Im getting sharper image results that look higher res from f4v that is compressed, than when I use uncompressed formats which are resulting in a lossy image, which to me seems to run counter to logic.

I've also tried different frame rates, higher bit rates etc.

• 10. Re: How do I maximize quality of tiff files in Adobe PP cs6
                            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Screenshots with your exporting settings for both F4V and AVIs, as well as with 'quality loss' upon exporting you mention might help.

• 11. Re: How do I maximize quality of tiff files in Adobe PP cs6
                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

As Fuzzy says, perhaps if we saw your export settings it would be useful.

Also, you say you are scaling the 3528 x 3630 images to frame size. What is that frame size. For extremely technical reasons, that could actually matter.

We have the image size, we need the frame size of the sequence, and the frame size of the export. With all three, I believe we can assist you in selecting the correct output method. Can we assume that the lossless version is for archiving?

Exporting to an uncompressed codec is easy. (Actually that is a silly statement on my part, if it is uncompressed, there is no codec because there is nothing compressed to decompress!) The problem might be that playing back an uncompressed video stream is extremely difficult for most PCs.  You might only be able to use the uincompressed video in a program like Premiere Pro or After Effects.

By the way, how do the Vimeo and YouTube videos look? Are they of sufficient quality for distribution?

Off topic question: Where did you get tiff files of that size and depth? Is that what your camera records?