9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2010 5:18 PM by chocobo2k!

DRM and Copy Protection in Air

cordsie
      Hi all,

I've looked around for some sort of position on this issue, but it seems Adobe is tight lipped on the subject of DRM in AIR applications. Basically, I'm trying to develop and release a commercial app using Air, but since the runtime and install methods don't allow executables to be wrapped in existing try/buy DRM solutions, there is no obvious way to do this. There is no way to hook into native code from actionscript, so solutions that rely on linking to third party libraries don't work. Even a custom scripted solution based on keyfiles and/or serial numbers seems to be unlikely, as there's no way to generate unique identifiers from the hardware.

This appears to be a gaping hole in AIR at the moment, and I'd imagine that, since adobe plans to offer some commercial applications as AIR applications, this must be a major consideration. What's Adobe's position on this?

Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: DRM and Copy Protection in Air
          cordsie Level 1
          Bump. I see this isn't the first time somebody's asked this question on this forum, and recieved complete silence.
          • 2. Re: DRM and Copy Protection in Air
            Oliver Goldman Adobe Employee
            This capability is not supported in 1.0. As with any feature you'd like to see in AIR, please submit your request via www.adobe.com/go/wish. Please try to describe the use case you'd like us to support, and not just the feature you'd like to see.

Oliver Goldman | Adobe AIR Engineering

• 3. Re: DRM and Copy Protection in Air
              Czajka Level 1
              I agree and will post in the wish list. We're developing an AJAX app., and all the code is available for anyone to copy after the application is installed. We were thinking there might be a way to encrypt parts of the html/code (using the scheme provided), and placing an accessible key in an .swf file, but this could be time consuming.
              • 4. Re: DRM and Copy Protection in Air
                Sonicviz
                Hi,
                Could someone from Adobe please reply as to the status of this use case?

Is there or is there not a way of securing AIR based applications for enterprise deployment?

I would have thought it was a pretty obvious use case to include for downloadable online/offline RIA's built with AIR, and am surprised by the difficulty in finding information on this subject.

Thanks!
                • 5. Re: DRM and Copy Protection in Air
                  cordsie Level 1
                  Indeed, this remains the biggest blocker to my adoption of AIR as a release technology. At present I'm basically being forced into using Zinc to wrap a flex .swf in an executable because there is simply no other way to create a protected commercial app using AIR.

Zinc is buggy and slower and has compatibility issues with more complex applications, but there's no other choice. It's actually kind of baffling that there's no information on this. I thought that Adobe had planned to release their own applications in AIR.
                  • 6. Re: DRM and Copy Protection in Air
                    AIR (still) does not contain this feature, although it's under consideration for a future release based on user feedback, such as in this thread. There are also third-party solutions available.

Adobe has released AIR-based applications, such as the Adobe Media Player. The applications we've released to date do not use any such protection.

• 7. Re: DRM and Copy Protection in Air
                      Sonicviz Level 1
                      quote:

Originally posted by: Oliver Goldman
                      AIR (still) does not contain this feature, although it's under consideration for a future release based on user feedback, such as in this thread. There are also third-party solutions available.

Thanks for the update Oliver. Is there a short list of validated third-party solutions anywhere?
                      I've tested a couple I found that purport to encrypt/protect swf applications but so far they fail.
                      (ie: final executable hangs at some point, not fully multilingual in Japanese etc)

Thanks!

• 8. Re: DRM and Copy Protection in Air
                        Not that I'm aware of.

• 9. Re: DRM and Copy Protection in Air
                          chocobo2k! Level 1

Any updates on this? I'm also trying to deploy my Flash application to AIR but I don't know how to protect it for commercial distribution. Can someone help me please?