3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2012 4:21 AM by MF99

Data Merge Library Objects, is this possible?

MF99

Hi All

I produce various tickets using the data merge function in Indesign CS5. It works really well for me. On each ticket there is some variable data which cannot be data merged. I set the various variable data up in an Indesign Library and apply a specific number on the spreadsheet so I know when going through which Library Object to apply. I would ideally like to automate this process as well somehow. Is there any way Data Merge can pull in specific objects from a specific Library Object file. If not can it be done through XML and if so how. Many thanks, Mike.

• 1. Re: Data Merge Library Objects, is this possible?
          Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

In general:

If your library objects could be saved as a files (.pdf, image or tagged text format - depends on what it is)

==> you are able to set a link to external file using data merge. (strat column head with "@" and fill column's cell with filePath)

Another solution is to create a script which could iterate through library items and set them to a chosen place.

A devil use to sleep in details

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Data Merge Library Objects, is this possible?
            MF99 Level 1

Hi Jump_Over

I could save each library object as PDF or EPS file but would be easier to pull straight from the library. With that said I just tried a couple of test files trying to pull in a PDF and EPS file with no luck. I set up a cell with @Macintosh HD/Users etc to link to the filename, but all that happens is it pulls the cell text, no image? I could not put the column header as '@' because when I went to link the CSV file Indesign says one or more fields has empty cell names? I presume I am doing something wrong along the way...

• 3. Re: Data Merge Library Objects, is this possible?
              MF99 Level 1

Hi Jump_Over

I have managed to figure it out, seems to work well. Thanks for your help!!!

If anyone knows a way I could do this by scripting the image into place from the Object Library whilst doing the data merge I would love to know.

Cheers

Mike