6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 9:42 AM by TimJaramillo

Loading time within webbrowser is too slowly

FLOYDs2008

Hi guys,

I have made a map with interactive location points, the only thing is, that it started after approx. 9 sec within the web browser and this is really too slowly.

It is made with mouseover and out code, and when you roll over with the mousebutton about a point a small info text appears.

It jumps within the timeline to the labels, that's all.

Have anyone an idea what I have made wrong?

Thanks you all for your help, I am lost at the moment.

Floyd

• 1. Re: Loading time within webbrowser is too slowly
          TimJaramillo Level 4

Hi Floyd.

It sounds like your map image is very large? If so, use Photoshop to "Save for Web" the map image, and compress it down with jpeg compression (or png, or gif, depending on the type of image).

Also note that you can add a loader gif animation, to play during the load time.

• 2. Re: Loading time within webbrowser is too slowly
            FLOYDs2008 Level 1

Hi Tim,

yes, your're right that seems to be the first fact for a long loading time, but I have even used gif-files with a very small file resolution, so it can't be the file-size. I assume it could be the java code, because since I have intergated it to the animation it got very slowly.

Is it possible that you take a look on my edge-file? So you can better understand what I want to reach.

Thank you I am looking forward for your answer :-)

Floyd

• 3. Re: Loading time within webbrowser is too slowly
              TimJaramillo Level 4

Sure Floyd, feel free to PM me your files.

Note that the javascript files generally don't take up that much space, as they are only text files. Even in my very large, complex Edge Animate projects, the javascript files only take up around 300k, which will load instantly on a high-speed connection.

• 4. Re: Loading time within webbrowser is too slowly
                FLOYDs2008 Level 1

Hi Tim,

nice to hear of you again, it is very kind of you that you will risk a look into my very first animation in Edge. I was relatively fit in Flash, so I have already a bit experience – but not too much of coding.

In the map-ani there are purple and grey points and if someone trigger a mouseover an info text appears, if the mouse is out of the points the text disappears. Sounds simple – actually .

I have made symbols I thought it could save time for the processing work, but it doesn't.

So the purple points comes from one symbol it is called: "Kreis_Ani_Pink" (it is German) and the grey one is called "Kreis_Ani_Grau", they all are used within the city-points symbols for example: E_Punkt_01 or DU_Punkt_02 and so on.

Hope I have understand the functionality about the timeline, because at first I have stopped it, than it start again and stopped, so I got at least my little bars, which indicate me the presence of the objects in the timeline.

So, you have noticed that I come from Germany and unfortunately we have a bank holiday tomorrow, that means a long weekend, therefore I can't answer you in this time. If you have an idea what I made wrong with this type of interactive animation, I would be happy to hear or better read it by you,

Have also a great weekend - until next week - perhaps

Floyd

• 5. Re: Loading time within webbrowser is too slowly
                  FLOYDs2008 Level 1

Sorry, I am not able to post the file there is no button to download it and perhaps you could give me your email address?

• 6. Re: Loading time within webbrowser is too slowly
                    TimJaramillo Level 4

Floyd, to send me a PM (and your file), click on my user name, then in the top right click "Send Private Message" under "Actions".