6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2012 10:56 AM by davidorthfurniture

Replacing still media without loosing other clip work?

davidorthfurniture Level 1

Can I replace a still photo without loosing my pan and zoom settings?  Somehow I loaded a still photo in a way that it previews and renders blurry.  Then I spent some time in the Pan & Zoom tool and was happy with the results - except for the blurriness.  I've reloaded the same media as another clip, and it looks great - no blurriness, but then it does not have my pan & zoom work.  Is there a way to replace media in a clip without loosing other settings?  Or is there some other work around?  Perhaps I can copy and paste the pan & zoom settings for a clip?  It seems like I should be able to replace media without loosing other work, but then I wonder if I'll still get the blurry effect because of some setting I won't be correcting.

Or any thoughts on why my media (which is high res) is previewing and rendering as very blurry and pixelated?  When I reload the media as a new clip, it looks good.

I'm using Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7.

• 1. Re: Replacing still media without loosing other clip work?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Make sure that you render often (press Enter on your keyboard), especially when working with photos. (In Expert view, you'll even see a yellow indicator along the top of the timeline when you need to render.)

Rendering creates a temporary video preview of your timeline. Your pan & zooms should look much better and your work should proceed much more smoothly.

• 2. Re: Replacing still media without loosing other clip work?

Dear Steve,

Rendering isn't the issue apparently.  I've rendered the clip/still and it

remains blurry even though the original still is quite high res.  I've

reloaded the same still as a new clip and it is fine.  I've looked at both

clips rendered both in the preview and an export. The results are the same.

One clip bad, one good.  I wonder if I loaded the still differently the

first time.  Are there settings in either PE9 or PE11 that would have caused

a still to load at a lower res?

So I don't understand the difference and still looking for a way to "reload"

media without loosing other settings for the clip.

David Orth

Orth Furniture & Sculpture

20817 Bunker Hill Rd

Marengo, IL 60152

studio: 815-943-4099

cell: 708-288-5199

fax: 360-937-6485

website: www.OrthFurniture.com <http://www.orthfurniture.com/

• 3. Re: Replacing still media without loosing other clip work?

How are you judging the quality? Are you judging it by what you see in the Preview Monitor when you play your video? If so, this panel may be set to less than high quality. (Right-click and select the High Quality option rather than Automatic.)

You also haven't yet established which version of the program you're using, which limits how specific we can be.

How large is your Monitor panel? It could be that you've got it so large it just looks poor quality. Right-click on on it and set it to display 100% size.

Finally, remember that video is somewhat lower resolution, so no video is ever going to have the detail of a photo. So what are your project settings (listed under the Edit menu)?

If you're editing in standard 720x480 resolution, for instance, and you're putting a photo into your project that's 2000x1500 pixels in size, you're only going to see less than 10% of its detail and resolution in your final video.

• 4. Re: Replacing still media without loosing other clip work?

Steve,

I am using PE11 in Windows 7.  I don't see how any preview settings, or my

expectations, can be an issue.  I am comparing side by side two clips in the

same project that I thought were from the same original media still - and

they look completely different.  One great, one blurry. 

I inserted the first media a couple of months ago in PE9.  I suppose it's

possible that I used a lower resolution version of the same image with the

same name.  At any rate, I would like to reload the media for the bad clip

without loosing my work on that clip.  Is this possible?

David

Orth Furniture & Sculpture

20817 Bunker Hill Rd

Marengo, IL 60152

studio: 815-943-4099

cell: 708-288-5199

fax: 360-937-6485

website: www.OrthFurniture.com <http://www.orthfurniture.com/

• 5. Re: Replacing still media without loosing other clip work?

What I said still stands. But it's up to you whether you take my advice or not.

But meantime output an AVI from your version 9 project and from your version 11 projects. They should look identical.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Replacing still media without loosing other clip work?

My problem cleared up with a fresh start in 11 and some more realistic settings (I'm working with minimal ram) and a Adobe Flash rendering.  It's quite beautiful and I'm very excited.  Unfortunately, I'm not left with a clear idea of what exactly the problem was.  It could have been more than one thing.  I see now that video gets tremendously complex in the combinations of input, set up, and output alone.  I'm back at it.  I have a new question to post, but it belongs on a new thread.