6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2012 9:00 PM by Ida Byrd-Hill RSS

Cut Indesign Page in Half?

Ida Byrd-Hill

I have a 20x20 in document. The printer wants me to cut it in half and send two separate files and he will match them  to print the document. How do I cut a page in half? I have a move guide down  the middle. I tried using the scissors tool but my hand is not that sturdy.

• 1. Re: Cut Indesign Page in Half?
          Jump_Over Community Member

Hi,

1. export page (.pdf, .eps, .tiff)

2. open new doc with proper size (half of current)

3. place your export and frame it to the top (1st) and to the bottom (2nd)

• 2. Re: Cut Indesign Page in Half?
            Michael Gianino Community Member

You can place the original InDesign file without having to export it first. If you do export first, I'd recommend PDF. Tiff will rasterize your vector data, and eps will flatten any native transparency you may have. When you're done, you can export as PDF and you won't have to send the component files.

Did the printer explain why they want to cut your layout in half? It sounds like you're increasing the chances that something will go wrong.

• 3. Re: Cut Indesign Page in Half?
              Ida Byrd-Hill Community Member

It is a quad fold game board. They want it to be cut along the first cut. I

want to ensure when I cut it,  it matches perfectly. Attempting to use the

scissors tool does not make me feel comfortable.

• 4. Re: Cut Indesign Page in Half?
                Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Ida Byrd-Hill wrote:

Attempting to use the scissors tool does not make me feel comfortable.

The scissor tool works on paths, not pages, so it wont help you anyway.

Another possibility is to make a new two-page file with the pages being sized to the half-size dimension, and turn off page shuffling so you can lock the two pages together into a single spread the size of your single page. In the original file do a select all, then copy and paste into the new file. Export to PDF for delivery....

And please delete your personal info when replying by email.

• 5. Re: Cut Indesign Page in Half?
                  Michael Gianino Community Member

OK, I  was picturing them re-assembling the two halves before printing as a single impression.

Ida Byrd-Hill wrote:

It is a quad fold game board. They want it to be cut along the first cut.

So, will the final board will be cut or folded? If it's going to be folded, you could put a fold/score line in the pasteboard and print the bleed area to include the lines. Or are you adding some small amount to the center by pulling the two sides apart so as to not obscure part of the image where the fold will be? I can't think of a reason to cut a page in half if it's not going to be cut after printing, but I'm always interested in learning things that I don't have to deal with in my current job.

• 6. Re: Cut Indesign Page in Half?
                    Ida Byrd-Hill Community Member

The real reason it that the fold is difficult when it is one piece so they

print it as 2pieces and line up on the board. I have glue the pieces to a

board to see what they were inferring. However I am having difficult

splitting the page on the computer. When I glued it I printed 1 copy and

cut on a cutting board. I would like to simulate the practicein indesign

Journey to Fluke <http://www.upliftinc.org/fluke.html> - the wild, wild

world of Intellectual Property

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Michael Gianino