2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2012 4:53 PM by Roger W Jinks

Interactive PDF size from InDesign

KateCTG

Hi there,

I'm trying to create an ebrochure that will include animations and videos.

The problem I'm having is that once adding the media and exporting to interactive PDF - the files are so large that I can't email them to customers (defeating the point of having them).

Is there anyway of reducing the size of an interactive PDF without damaging the animation or video content? If I optimise them currently, the content doesn't work.

Thank you

Kate

• 1. Re: Interactive PDF size from InDesign
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your best bet is probably to export the PDF without the animation or videos, optimize the PDF in Acrobat and then add the extra content.

• 2. Re: Interactive PDF size from InDesign
            Roger W Jinks

InDesign has always exported large PDFs. After it is open in Acrobat do a Save As and replace. That usually cuts the size.

In Acrobat 9, go to Examine Document and Save. That will get rid of hidden text and cropped images. Then there is Reduce File Size. Be carefull with that because it sometimes resamples bitmap images with too much JPEG compression and creates a lot of noise. If the is file text and vectors that is not a problem.

In Acrobat 10, go to File>Save As>Optimize PDF. That does the same task sas Examine Document and always to set the Resolution and Compression of your images. There is an Optimize PDF tool in Acrobat 9, but I never really got it to work well.

Before you Export from InDesign, be sure to look at your Resolution settings in the export dialog and adjust accordingly.

I hope this helps. ROGER