10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 10:18 AM by Jim_Simon

Mercury Playback Engine, CUDA, Quadro 4000, Not rendering

Rob AB Level 1

Hello,

I am having a problem with the Quadro 4000 card and Premiere CS6. Premiere detects the card but will not render certain filters and transitions.

I am running a Mac Pro 5,1 with Lion 10.7.5 installed.

2.4 Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32GB Memory

The card shows up in the System Report

Chipset Model:    NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Type:    GPU

Bus:    PCIe

Slot:    Slot-2

PCIe Lane Width:    x16

VRAM (Total):    2048 MB

Vendor:    NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID:    0x06dd

Revision ID:    0x00a3

ROM Revision:    3598

CUDA drivers are all up to date.

Nvidia tech support has been unresponsive.

I have reinstalled the card with no such luck for it working properly. The CUDA has never worked properly. I just did a complete clean reinstall hoping to fix the problem but that did not work either.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Mercury Playback Engine, CUDA, Quadro 4000, Not rendering
          Glitchdog Level 1

Hey Rob, I have a similar system with a little less ram and an LHi card. Not all filters will use CUDA and maybe not all transitions, but the only ones I use on occasion are dissolves and fade in/out and they work for me (don't have to render) with or without the mercury playback engine that uses CUDA. I know I've seen some documentation on this on the Adobe site somewhere, but can't find the link at the moment.

• 2. Re: Mercury Playback Engine, CUDA, Quadro 4000, Not rendering
            Rob AB Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I think this is the list you were talking about.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adobe- premiere-pro.html

The dip to black should be supported. And if dip to black is not working correctly, I have to wonder if the card is really working at all as I am not seeing a noticeable gain in anything. Even my renders are not correct.  I have been trying to find an answer for months.

• 3. Re: Mercury Playback Engine, CUDA, Quadro 4000, Not rendering
              Jim_Simon Level 8

will not render certain filters and transitions.

What exactly does that mean?

• 4. Re: Mercury Playback Engine, CUDA, Quadro 4000, Not rendering
                Rob AB Level 1

Lets say that I am using Dip to Black. If I change the opacity and play the transistion back, it does nothing to change the opacity. If I render it out, it still does not change. So I guess that it will render out the filter, but not with any sort of change applied to it. 

• 5. Re: Mercury Playback Engine, CUDA, Quadro 4000, Not rendering
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm still confused.  Why are you changing opacity when using a Dip to Black transition?

• 6. Re: Mercury Playback Engine, CUDA, Quadro 4000, Not rendering
                    Rob AB Level 1

So it starts off as black and actually works like a fade to black since Premiere doesn't have one. FYI: cannot use cross dissolve as I always have multiple layers. In any case, the card is still not working properly or maybe it just cannot do that. If that is the case, then I just wasted a ton of money (as Dip to Black was on their supported list)...

• 7. Re: Mercury Playback Engine, CUDA, Quadro 4000, Not rendering
                      Glitchdog Level 1

Yep that's the list, but updated since I last looked at it. Thanks for posting it.

When we first made the switch from FCP to Adobe Prod Premium I started editing with just the stock card in the MacPro. I new nothing about the Nvidia CUDA thing. This was CS5.5 and it was dog slow on the MacPro. Once I got the 4000, just for kicks I kept dropping 3-way colour corrector filters on a clip to see when it would turn from yellow to red. Without the CUDA card one 3-way filter turned it red, I finally stopped my test after a number of filters /CUDA as it just never turned red. At least until I dropped one filter that wasn't supported in CUDA.

I have no problem with dip or fade down/up to black as I mentioned, but with CS6 especially I find the timeline much more responsive without CUDA. At least until I start doing some basic colour grading. Even our mobile system, MacBook Pro 17" works really well with software only for MPE at least with fades/dips up/down to black, dissolves, lower thirds, that's about it. Once I add a filter I have to render, but I we don't use MPE hardware on the mobile system for now as it actually is worse with it turned on, sluggish scrubbing in the timeline, etc.

My very general workflow on the MacPro is to edit with only one sequence open and unless I'm doing a lot of graphics try and keep only Premiere open. We have an eSATA 4 drive RAID (0) and edit mostly H.264 footage now (used to be all HDV) from a Panasonic camera, a GoPro HD and 5d. So were are not taxing the system like some would, though the H.264 is a challenging codec in some respects as you know. We only have 12 gig of ram, but find that works fine for most of what we do. I will probably add more eventually as Motion just sucks it up, but don't use AE currently.

Sorry I'm rambling a bit, but one last thing. Don't know if this matters with your issue, but we always do a clean install when we update the OS. So we wiped the drive on the MacPro and installed Mountain Lion from scratch and, of course, everything else. Haven't done a lot of editing on this new OS yet as we were gun shy about this serious error crashing many were having and had been editing on the mobile system in 5.5 then 6.

• 8. Re: Mercury Playback Engine, CUDA, Quadro 4000, Not rendering
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Both the Cross Dissolve and the Film Dissolve will go to (or come up from) black, regardless of how many layers you apply them to.  And yes, Dip to Black is accelerated.

But I'm still not understanding exactly what you mean by "will not render certain filters and transitions".  Do you mean they're not accelerated?  If so, I'd ask you are you determining that?  Do you mean that playback continues as if the effect or transition isn't even there?  If so, what happens when you render the sequence, or export it?

• 9. Re: Mercury Playback Engine, CUDA, Quadro 4000, Not rendering
                          Rob AB Level 1

Changing the settings has no effect... not sure how else to say it...

If you open premiere, add the Dip to Black, click on the transistion, change the start to 50%, it still previews (and exports) like it was set at 0%.  Never thought about rendering the sequence (but if I had to do that all the time then it would be better to not work in CUDA). I will try that now just for giggles. Nope, that doesn't change anything either. Use software only for the playback engine and everything works as expected.

Let me restate that... not layers but video tracks... I always have multiple video tracks so the dissolves do not work as Fade to Black.

• 10. Re: Mercury Playback Engine, CUDA, Quadro 4000, Not rendering
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

You're right, there is a difference in the behavior of Dip to Black when using hardware acceleration.

However, Cross Dissolve works as a fade to or up from black no matter how many video tracks you have.  If that's what you want, that's the proper transition to use here.