7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 8:40 AM by Curt Y

Photoshop cs4 bridge,getting not enough storage message.

Linda Pradetto

I have a computer that the motherboard died a couple of weeks ago. The motherboard and processor have been replaced as well as upgrading the ram from 4 gb to 12. We were able to use the old hard drive with no problems, maybe, just booted it up yesterday and am still working things out. Photoshop cs4 was installed on the computer and it seems to be working fine, except that I'm getting "not enough storage" messages when I try to do things I was able to do before the colapse. One thing I've noticed is that in the 32 bit version of Photoshop preferences it shows around 3 gb of ram available while the 64 bit version shows the full 12gb. Is this typical? and if not why would it be showing up this way?  I'm not sure that has anything to do with the problems with bridge it is a stand alone program now. Anyway, does anyone have any idea what could be the problem with this? Would uninstalling and re-installing the programs help?

Windows 7 Home Premium  64 bit system

12 GB RAM

I'm not sure what else would be needed about the computer, let me know if there is anything else.

Thanks for any help,

Linda

• 1. Re: Photoshop cs4 bridge,getting not enough storage message.
          Curt Y Level 7

A 32 bit program can only recognize 3.3 gig.  A 64 bit program can use much more.  So what you are seeing is normal.

Is your CS4 32 bit?

If thinking of upgrading you have until Dec. 31 to get upgrade prices.

• 2. Re: Photoshop cs4 bridge,getting not enough storage message.
            gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the "not enough storage" error message showing up in Bridge or Photoshop? I ask that because it seems to be a Bridge error message and the Bridge forum could better handle that.

If Photoshop is giving you this message, check your Preferences > Performance and see that the ram allocated is not more than 65-70% of total and look at your scratch disk allocation in that section as well.

I would also consider resetting Photoshop's preferences. Sometimes that clears up problems, and of course be sure you install the latest CS4 updates.

I'm assuming you have to use 32 bit Photoshop CS4 (example32 bit third party plugins).  If not use 64 bit CS4 and see if that works.

I'd heed the upgrade advice as well. After December, CS4 to CS6 upgrade price will increase from $200 to $700.

• 3. Re: Photoshop cs4 bridge,getting not enough storage message.
              Linda Pradetto Level 1

OK thanks, I didn't know this.

• 4. Re: Photoshop cs4 bridge,getting not enough storage message.
                Linda Pradetto Level 1

Thanks for the reply. It's happening in Bridge. I can't batch rename in bridge either. I was trying to change 1102 file names to sequential numbers after sorting them It jumbled them all up and made an ugly mess out of them. I'm going to uninstall the program and reinstall it and see if that will take care of the problems. If not I'll check back in the Bridge forum.

So the issue with the prices on the upgrades were true? I found something about that earlier last month but thought I'd found a disclaimer. Something else to worry about, between the computer issues and vehicle problems we have been having, I'm not sure I can even afford the $200.00. Oh well, thanks for the heads up.

Linda

• 5. Re: Photoshop cs4 bridge,getting not enough storage message.
                  Curt Y Level 7

If you are trying to process 1100 files with only 4 gig of ram you just will not have enough resources.  Bridge CS4 is a 32 bit program so all it can use is 3.3 gig of RAM.

You will have to do your process in small batches, start with 100 and see it that works.  If not go to 50.

• 6. Re: Photoshop cs4 bridge,getting not enough storage message.
                    Linda Pradetto Level 1

Thank you for your reply Curt Y.

I've had this software (CS4) installed on this same machine with only 4 GB of Ram installed for over a year. And I've never had any problem with moving large files from one place to another or batch renaming large number of files before. Isn't that what the cache is for?  is It is only since I had the motherboard replaced that these problems have come up.

Interestingly enough I uninstalled CS4 and re-installed it this morning and am getting a 1603 Fatal Error during installation on the AdobeColoCommonSetRGB file. After the third time I went ahead and installed the rest of the programs. Anyone know why this would fail, what effect it will have on the execution of the program and what can I do to correct it? I just installed CS4 on another computer I've been using as backup while this one was down and had no problems with it. Of course it has Vista on it as apposed to 7.      

• 7. Re: Photoshop cs4 bridge,getting not enough storage message.
                      Curt Y Level 7

LindaPradetto wrote:

I've had this software (CS4) installed on this same machine with only 4 GB of Ram installed for over a year. And I've never had any problem with moving large files from one place to another or batch renaming large number of files before. Isn't that what the cache is for?  is It is only since I had the motherboard replaced that these problems have come up.

No the cache is used to build the thumbnails and hold previews.  Not a computer guru but would imagine that type of operation would be happening in RAM, Page File in OS, and windows temp file.

THe 1603 error is an installation error.  One of the causes is a full windows temp file.  Have you deleted your temp files lately?  And how about disk cleanup?  You should have at least 10 to 20% free space on hard drive.  For a 500 gig drive that is 50 to 100 gig free.