21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2013 3:46 AM by Gazman2013

Disc Burning Programs

_Paz_ Level 1

I have the ability to record in AVCHD progressive mode on two cameras and would like to have a program that could be used to record both DVDs and/or BluRays.  I have a BluRay writer that I've used to write DVDs using Premiere Elements 10, but it seems to hang up pretty often.

Any suggestions?  (I used to use "Record Now" for writing DVDs but it doesn't seem to be available for Windows 7.)

thanks,

Paz

• 1. Re: Disc Burning Programs
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ImgBurn:

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Download from Mirror 7

and then read the FAQ and Guides:

http://forum.imgburn.com/

• 2. Re: Disc Burning Programs
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>BluRay writer that I've used to write DVDs using Premiere Elements 10, but it seems to hang up pretty often

This MAY help with reasons why... you've already been pointed at using Imgburn

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

Odd Errors http://forums.adobe.com/thread/670174

Long File Names or odd characters cause problems

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273

And #4 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/666558

And This Message Thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/665641

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

• 3. Re: Disc Burning Programs
              _Paz_ Level 1

Bob,

Thank you for the link to Image Burn.   I'm sort of wary about loading freeware onto my computer, but

I took a look but didn't see anything about being able to burn to BluRay using that program.  I'm not sure its what I'm looking for.

thanks anyway,

Paz

• 4. Re: Disc Burning Programs
                the_wine_snob Level 9

ImgBurn is a great utility. It does more than just burn a DVD/BD folder to disc. It works great with an ISO, with doing a Copy of an existing DVD/BD, and I have it on all of my computers.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Disc Burning Programs
                  _Paz_ Level 1

John,

Thank you for all the links.  Yes, I do run as administrator.  I don't have "Encore", or even know what it is.

I have taken Steve's advice from his book on Premiere Elements and recently have been saving my files to my hard drive before trying to burn them, and that does work better, but I still sometimes get errors saying the BluRay burner is either unavailable, or not loaded or it is busy, when none of that is correct.

I never used to have any particular problems burning when I used to use programs from either Adaptec, Nero, Roxio or Record Now.  I just wondered which of those types of programs would be the most trouble free for burning DVDs and BluRays.

Paz

• 6. Re: Disc Burning Programs
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe Encore is a full-featured DVD/BD authoring program, BUT, it is ONLY available as part of Adobe Premiere Pro - it is no longer a stand-alone program. Back in the days before PrPro CS 3, it WAS available as a stand-alone, and was included with Production Studio CS 2. As of CS 3, due to the dynamic links with PrPro, it needed to be part of CS 3 and beyond. I feel that it is too bad, that it is no longer available, as a stand-alone program, as it is great.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Disc Burning Programs
                      _Paz_ Level 1

Thank you for your replies, Bill.  I'll reconsider Image Burn.

Anyone have experience with DVD Architect something or other? 

Paz

• 8. Re: Disc Burning Programs
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yep. I love it, use it regularly and have even written a book and published a number of tutorials for it.

http://Muvipix.com/dvdas5.php

It makes a great, affordable supplement to Premiere Elements.

• 9. Re: Disc Burning Programs

I use DVD Architect Studio 4.5 to author my videos after exporting from Premiere Pro CS5.5.  I then output to a folder and use ImgBurn to make an ISO and burn my discs from the ISO.

DVDAS 4.5 can't do BluRay, but the latest version, 5.0 can.

You can also use DVDAS to burn the discs, but I prefer ImgBurn.

Go here and scroll down for great free DVDAS tutorials:

http://www.muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=44

I also recommend Steve Grisetti's book on DVDAS:

http://www.muvipix.com/FORMgallery1.php

• 10. Re: Disc Burning Programs

You beat me to it!

• 11. Re: Disc Burning Programs
                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, you know what they say about great minds, Bob!

• 12. Re: Disc Burning Programs

>used to use programs from either Adaptec, Nero, Roxio or Record Now

The links I posted, albeit for Encore, do discuss problems with disc burning that may be caused by one or more of those programs

As far as I know, the actual disc burning modules in PreElements are also licensed, so the "things to avoid" would be the same

Even though I do not have any of the programs listed above, I always create an ISO and use Imgburn for the actual disc writing

I really can't give any direct help with your drive's false readings of being busy... I've never had that problem

• 13. Re: Disc Burning Programs
                                  nealeh Level 5

_Paz_ wrote:

I have a BluRay writer .<snip>. but it seems to hang up pretty often.

I suggest you visit the manufacturers website to see if they have upgraded firmware for your burner.

Also what brand of disk blanks do you use?

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 14. Re: Disc Burning Programs
                                    _Paz_ Level 1

>>"it is no longer a stand-alone program"

Adobe  strikes again.  (Proud owner of LiveMotion 1 and 2, GoLive, etc.  and let's not mention JIVE...)

>>"I use DVD Architect Studio 4.5 to author my videos after exporting from Premiere Pro CS5.5.  I then output to a folder and use ImgBurn to make an ISO and burn my discs from the ISO."

ISO?  Probably not the "speed" of various chemical combinations on photosensitive emulsion based film.

If ImgBurn is used to 'burn' the actual disc, then what is the purpose of DVD Architect?

>>"Firmware, which discs?"

Is Firmware the same thing as a driver update?  I'll check it.  There was no software on this computer to burn a BluRay even though the BluRay burner came with it.

When I drag image files or video files from a folder to the BluRay burner drive in Windows Explorer, something built into Windows 7 takes over and will burn the disc without hangup.  It is only when I try to burn a video disc directly from Premier E 10 that it hangs up.

Currently I'm using cheap Memorex discs for my DVD video trials. ( I've never burned a BluRay disc since there is no program on this computer that is capable of doing so.)  When the times comes that I have an actual product to sell, I'll use Taiyo Yuden discs, which I'll have to order online.  They are not available locally for me.

thanks,

Paz

• 15. Re: Disc Burning Programs

Imgburn does not "author" a DVD, it only writes files to a disc... DVD Arch does the authoring to create the file to be written

Firmware is "similar" to a hardware driver... but firmware is written into a ROM chip inside the hardware, while a software driver is added to Windows (or Mac)

• 16. Re: Disc Burning Programs
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Paz,

Some background here might be useful:

Adobe  strikes again.

Well, yes and no. Encore was a stand-alone DVD authoring program, and a very good one. It has power that approaches the great, albeit very expensive (! US $50,000 for the full-tilt version, but without BD capabilities - that costs much more), but is easy to use. With Adobe CS 3, Adobe had a decision to make - write a full, stand-alone program, or include Encore with PrPro. Because they had incorporated a great function, Adobe Dynamic Link, that allowed one to seamlessly work between Encore and PrPro, they opted for the latter option - a single version of Encore, and only available with PrPro. I wish that they had opted for the former, and just done one version as a stand-alone, and another with Adobe Dynamic Link, ADL), but I am not sure if the market would have justified that. As I use PrPro, and get Encore with each upgrade, it means less to me, but I wish that I could recommend a stand-alone Encore to others, as it IS a great authoring program.

ISO?  Probably not the "speed" of various chemical combinations on photosensitive emulsion based film.

In this case, "ISO," is just like a ZIP file. For a DVD-Video, there is a VIDEO_TS folder, inside of which are the VOB, IFO and BUP files, necessary for a DVD player (either software, or hardware) to play the DVD - this is an iron-clad standard, and is very necessary. With the ISO, that VIDEO_TS folder, and the contained files, are wrapped into a single file, the ISO. This saves having to deal with the VIDEO_TS folder and its necessary files, but there is a hitch. Not all software players can read and Extract the VIDEO_TS folder, and files, inside that ISO. Almost no hardware players can handle the ISO. Some software players can do that Extraction internally, but few can. However, programs, like ImgBurn CAN burn the VIDEO_TS folder, and its contained files, Extracting them, in the proper order and format, from that single ISO file. [Note: there are other ways of "playing" an ISO, but I will not go into those here.]

With that ISO, one can use programs, like ImgBurn, to do the Extraction, internally, and then write the necessary folder(s) and files, in the DVD-spec. to a blank DVD disc.

I normally just Burn to Folder, which creates the VIDEO_TS folder (and necessary files), and use that to test, as nearly all software DVD players can play that folder directly, and easily. If I were shipping the output to another editor, then the ISO would be my choice. With either route, ImgBurn (and several other burning utilities) can work perfectly, so if that is the route, either would be a good choice.

Now, PrE can only Burn to Disc, or Burn to Folder, and cannot create an ISO. To create an ISO from the VIDEO_TS folder (and necessary files), one would need other software. ImgBurn can do that too. However, that would be an extra step, and if one only needs to Burn a DVD-Video, and unnecessary one, IMHO. Fewer steps = fewer things to do, and fewer things that can go wrong.

If ImgBurn is used to 'burn' the actual disc, then what is the purpose of DVD Architect?

John T. covers this difference. DVD Architect, like Encore, is a full-featured authoring program. When one authors a DVD, they are performing several actions: gathering up the Assets, adding Menus, and navigation, then outputting to a DVD standard disc, folder (the VIDEO_TS) or an ISO. The latter two are for testing, or just DVD software playback on a computer. PrE has a limited authoring function. In actuality, it is a sub-application, called from within PrE, and is based on the Sonic AuthorCore, just like Encore is. Think of PrE's authoring function as "Encore Lite." There are limitations on PrE's authoring function, so some users, who need more control, will opt to output AV files from PrE, which would then be Imported into a separate DVD authoring program. This allows them much more control, and power vs what PrE can do. For most users, the authoring sub-app. in PrE is adequate - but if they want more power, and especially with navigation, then another app. is the way to go.

Utilities, like ImgBurn, are used to have more control, with JUST the burning process, though they usually offer some other functions, like making a Disc to Disc Copy, creating an ISO, etc. They come in, AFTER all of the authoring is done, and should not be confused with an authoring application.

Is Firmware the same thing as a driver update?  I'll check it.  There was no software on this computer to burn a BluRay even though the BluRay burner came with it.

As John T. states - sort of, though with a big difference. The firmware is contained as code in a ROM chip in the multi-drive, where a driver is installed into the computer's OS. As one is dealing with code, written to that ROM chip, one must exercise great caution, with any firmware updating. Firmware updates can be critical to the full functioning of the multi-drive, and the exact steps can differ, multi-drive to multi-drive, and even by firmware versions, for the same multi-drive. ALWAYS read the full installation ("flashing" the ROM), before ANY firmware update. Print those directions out, and follow them, to the letter, any time that you update your firmware. That warning is not casual, as if one misses just one step, the multi-drive can be killed, and forever. Updating firmware is easy, BUT one must follow every step, exactly - no room for error.

When I drag image files or video files from a folder to the BluRay burner drive in Windows Explorer, something built into Windows 7 takes over and will burn the disc without hangup.  It is only when I try to burn a video disc directly from Premier E 10 that it hangs up.

Most recent versions of Window do have burning utilities built-in. However, I have found those to be very limited in capabilities, hence my rec. to use ImgBurn, which is free, small, and easy to use (not exactly pure/true drag-n-drop, but close). Also, the Windows burning utilities, once invoked, can cause problems with other burning apps. like the one built-into PrE.

Currently I'm using cheap Memorex discs for my DVD video trials. ( I've never burned a BluRay disc since there is no program on this computer that is capable of doing so.)  When the times comes that I have an actual product to sell, I'll use Taiyo Yuden discs, which I'll have to order online.  They are not available locally for me.

I have some old Memorex, that I use in a similar fashion - never for delivery, but more often use DVD-RW blanks, over and over, to test. No commercial jobs ever were delivered, without fairly extensive testing with DVD-RW's, and on several different players. Then, when satisfied, I would burn to Verbatim, or Taiyo-Yuden. I have to order both on-line, as no retailers in the Phoenix Metro Area stock them - they sell the cheapies by the case, but most people do not understand how the blank media can affect things, so just look for the lowest possible price - hence Memorex, or similar. I find that Memorex blank media are best used as "coasters" for drinks...

Good luck, and hope that this is helpful.

Hunt

• 17. Re: Disc Burning Programs
                                          _Paz_ Level 1

John and Bill,

Thanks again.  I'm going to read and re-read this at least half a dozen times.

Soooooooo, I should edit in Premiere Elements, create a 'menu' for chapters with the ability to jump directly to those sections with DVD Architect, then burn discs with ImageBurn.  Right?

Paz

(If it works, I'm not touching firmware.)

• 18. Re: Disc Burning Programs

I'm not John or Bill, but you've it!

• 19. Re: Disc Burning Programs
                                              nealeh Level 5

DVD Architect Studio 5 can write to disk (File> Make DVD) but personally I still use ImgBurn 'cos I know how well it works (and the author's a Brit as well ). So your workflow is good.

Updating firmware is no longer the risky exercise it used to be - these days if there is an update it comes with an installer that you can run from within Windows. Amazon actually recommend an update if you experience problems. So it is certainly worthwhile checking the manufacturers site and checking (a) is there an update? and (b) what does it fix?

And, as Bill recommends, bin those Memorex and get some Verbatim RW for testing.

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale
                                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 20. Re: Disc Burning Programs
                                                _Paz_ Level 1

Bob,

Thanks!

Neale,

Thanks for yet another recommendation for ImageBurn.  I downloaded the program, as well as DVD Architect 5 and I find the clean interface of Premier Elements not only aesthetically pleasing, but it seems easier to use.  I really like it.

I'll check to see if there is a firmware update - but will only attempt installation if I continue running into problems. 

I might be able to find Verbatim locally.  I'll look for them. 

thanks again, everyone,

Paz

• 21. Re: Disc Burning Programs
                                                  Gazman2013

Thanks for your reply Bill, I think sticking with Adobe and downloading Encore then is the best way for me to go...