22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 12:55 PM by Kevin-Monahan

Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????

AtonMusic Level 2

I think on this one I MUUUUUST be missing the obvious...

I cannot find any way to sort my clips once I enter thumbnail/icon view ???

I can sort in list view but not in icon view ????

• 1. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Correct. File a feature request if you want it.

• 2. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
            AtonMusic Level 2

That would be like having to ask Apple to make the Finder sort its content alphabetically....

Seriously... Should I have to file a feature request for something so darn obvoious...

I think perhaps I'd rather use a diff. app. Written by people who invented it rather than keeping inventions of others maintained.

• 3. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Yeah, because just saying sorting is not enough. Sorting ascending and descending on what, name, extension, usage, metadata, length, resolution, frame rate, etc. What should happen with the chosen sort order when you return to list view. What kind of sorting interface do you need. All those kind of questions arise and if you want such a feature, you have to be specific.  Additionally, the more people request a certain feature, the higher it ends up on the priority list.

• 4. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                AtonMusic Level 2

I say sort because I mean that in a broad stroke.

It SHOULD be able to sort/group according to ANY parameter be that, CamRoll, CamName, Name, Creation Date or whatever parameter.

In FCPx you can do that in a glance.. You can even do a Group by and then sort by..

For the world of me I CANNOT understand how anyone can offer an NLE where ALL MEDIA which is the single MOST important thing,

is SOOOOO obscured to the user as in PPRO...

GREAT once you HAVE it in the timeline... But the single worst NLE on the planet when it comes to getting it there... Even AVID is better.. And that SAYS a lot.

FCPx in this regard is the undisputed king.

I went to FCPx for this exact reason. I have NEVR been able to find WHAT I need faster than in FCPx. there are however projects that I still wish to create or maintain in PPRO.

Mostly due to CUDA reasons. And AE support.

Adobe needs to make the source clips MUUUUCH more accessible to the user !!!

• 5. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Life would be easier if you could go to list view, sort exactly the way you want everything, and then go to Icon view and have it keep the same sort order. And the other way around of course.

The only way to sort icons is to manually move them around like a storyboard - which I believe is what Adobe intended.

• 6. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                    AtonMusic Level 2

Hi Steven,

I tried sorting the way I wanted to in List View... Then I switched to Icon View, only to see that did not follow the list view sorting.

If it would do so, fine. I could deal with that... But say I sort list view according to the Scene Name or Take Number... Then switch to Icon View, Icon View will just sit there

sorting the clips by their original name.

Is there an option for Icon View to Follow List View, that I dont know about

Thanks

• 7. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

The reason Icon view doesn't have sorting options is because that view is used for storyboards, where you move the clips around as you see fit.

If you want a sort, use List view.

Two views, two different purposes.

• 8. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                        AtonMusic Level 2

Whoever in their right mind would cut a movie looking at text when he can look at the movie....

Great that one can scoot the clips about as he sees fit but there should be an option for sorting as well...

This app really IS a relic

• 9. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Whoever in their right mind would cut a movie looking at text when he can look at the movie....

I do.  But then again, I am right handed, so...I guess I'm actually in my left mind.

• 11. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Apparently I do things differently than most other people when I work on the occasional large project?

I organize my clips before I even open Premiere Pro. As I watch them from the hard drive, I create subdirectories (folders). I move all of a certain scene or location into one folder, then the next scene gets a new folder, and so on.

Then I open each directory and rename the clips all the same with a short description at the end to be able to recognize them. When I do that, I make sure that different types of shots, like CU or EWS are part of the name so I can move them around by type of shot if I need to.

Then I import all of the folders using the Media Browser. That gives me a bunch of bins, all named the way I want them, with all of the clips I might use already sorted into the appropriate bins. I then import my "generic" project so I have my logo and favorite transitions and effects where I can get at them quickly. And a sequence that has the audio tracks set up the way I want them and the extra video tracks I usually use.

The key to this is that when I want to see my clips, I doubleclick on the bin, it opens in a new window, I stretch the window to suit me and I scrub the individual clips to see what I need to use next.

It seems to me, if you are just throwing a bunch of clips in the project panel and are having trouble sorting them, perhaps a little organization before you start might help?

• 12. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

That work flow is a little tough with tapeless media, where the names and folders are best left intact and unchanged.

• 13. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                                SimonHy Level 2

Yeah it's pretty crazy. We're visual people, of course we want to use thumbnail view for more than creating storyboards.

I recommend submitting a feature request so long term it gets sorted, but as a work around I've found that if you sort icons in list view,  open a new bin and set it to thumbnail view, and then drag your clips across to the empty bin, it will retain the sort order in thumbnail view in the new bin that you used in list view.

Not ideal, but has saved me a lot of time re-organising clips.

• 14. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Jim,

That's what I have been hearing, but why? What is it about the media that makes it dependant on another file, or a name, or a folder? You have a link to somewhere I can read about that? Seems pretty odd to me, but stranger things happen all the time.

• 15. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                                    SimonHy Level 2

For AVCHD media, not all the data is saved in a single file. You get metadata like timecode stored in a seperate folder:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

So if people try to just import the video file instead of the folder structure, you end up losing all the extra data.

• 16. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I think the words I am looking for are "that sucks".

• 17. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Yeah it does.  Tapeless was three steps forward, but definitely a step backwards with this asinine folder structure.  The MXF container was specifically designed to hold video, audio, timecode and metadata.  It sucks that camera makers have failed to take full advantage of that capability.

• 18. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                                          Dave Horak

SimonHy wrote:

Yeah it's pretty crazy. We're visual people, of course we want to use thumbnail view for more than creating storyboards.

I recommend submitting a feature request so long term it gets sorted, but as a work around I've found that if you sort icons in list view,  open a new bin and set it to thumbnail view, and then drag your clips across to the empty bin, it will retain the sort order in thumbnail view in the new bin that you used in list view.

Not ideal, but has saved me a lot of time re-organising clips.

Thank You , Simon!

Your post was the first in this thread that actually helped me around this issue, rather than defending Adobe's mistakes.

I am totally on track with AtonMusic here, because the lack of a sorting feature or at least the thumbnail view following the list sorting really is ridiculous!

The fact that thumbnail view is said to be intended for storyboard building doesn't justify the lack of a sorting feature even a bit.

You could easily have both combined. For example having the options "sort by: Name, length, etc.., and MANUAL/STORYBOARD"

I dont see how any programmer could miss such an obvious flaw that really slows down your workflow and doesn't make any sense at all.

I am really upset about this, because i have spend hours now just to figure out, that somebody at adobe didn't do his job right on a product that I payed a lot of money for.

Time that I could have spend being productive.

Thanks, Adobe.

• 19. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

You could easily have both combined. For example having the options "sort by: Name, length, etc.., and MANUAL/STORYBOARD"

I wonder how may people who spend hours manually sorting their clips in Icon mode will stop by these forums complaining how their carefully arranged clips suddenly got sorted alphabetically because they accidentally hit the wrong button.

You know, you do get thumbnails when in List mode.  There you can see the clips, and sort any way you want. If it's just a Hover Scrub issue, then you're better off calling for Hover Scrub in List mode.  If it's a thumbnail size issue, then you're better off calling for larger thumbs in List mode.

My point is, each viewing mode serves a different purpose.  Best not to mix them.

• 20. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                                              AtonMusic Level 2

They could just hit "Storyboard" and that would re-arrange the icons back to the way the user had 'em...

Seems to me as if this whole forum is crowded by folks who like to waste their time.

I have been using PPRO since a long time and while all the idiots complained about FCPx (I did too initially) I bought it and got to know it.

What I used to consider iMovie Pro -- is the most advanced and intuitive software that has face a computer the past decade.

Some of you may laugh. But that is because you have not gotten to know it.

I am very fast in editing and use nothign but short keys. Normallly in PPRO I would spend a day sorting and naming clips etc... Then Cut and Master.

2-3 days for a medium sized project. Those medium sized projects TODAY in FCPx I in HALF A DAY.... Yeah, you read it right... 1/2 a day.

Sorting and tagging more or less becomes void in FCPx - you JUST DONT WORK LIKE THAT NO MORE... Too old and too slow.

In a medium session I am facing about 100GB of H.264 material making up between 100 & 400 clips. I sort, group and arr. those in a matter of minutes.

Keyworking and metataggin is so advanced I cannot even begin to describe it...

Then comes along... motion... In motion you can SAVE your workflow as a FCPx plug-in... and load that up in FCPx.. That would be like having After Effects inside of PPRO.

I dont even leave FCPx when color grading...

I would have NEVER thought this app to be so advanced after spending a few days with it.. I hated it.. But ONLY because I was USED to working the OLD way..

Or should I say... The OLD Randy Ubilos (Premiere Pro Creator) way.... Well.  PPRO reflects Randy's young, green and naive days. FCPx reflects Randy's MATURE days.

Premiere Pro is surrounded by programmers thinking "What would Randy do here" instead of hiring someone who had vision.

Premiere Pro is great old software that cant even sort 20 Icons according to the wish of a user... By those standards I am surprised it even plays back a movie...

Oh... I forgot.. It doesn't - at least 50% of the time when the Program Monitor just goes black ;-)))

Adobe, ALL it takes is a copy of FCPx -- Check it out and copy the good stuff.

PS --- My mom - who is 75 years still thinks it is faster to write me a letter and send it via post. No doubt, for her it seems that way.

THAT does NOT delimit the FACT that an email reaches australia a litte faster than the US post.

Embrace the future - even though you dont grasp it at first..Get to know IT !!!!

• 21. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                                                missingsock

Hello:

I recently switched to Premiere from FCP and I too find the inability to sort in icon view maddening. I shoot everything that I edit and I can't imagine editing any other way than in icon view.  The text or clip #s mean nothing to me. When I am looking at the icons I can pretty much remember the order in which I shot the clips and can find what I need very easily, but if I can't sort in icon view then I'm lost and have to constanly switch back and forth to the list view to find my place.  I could care less about storyboard editing.  I have requested the feature to be implemented but meanwhile I have to go back to FCP to keep sanity.  My2cents.

Warren Gentry

• 22. Re: Sorting Clips in Thumbnail View ????????
                                                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

missingsock wrote:

Hello:

I recently switched to Premiere from FCP and I too find the inability to sort in icon view maddening.

Best thing you can do? File a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish