14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 3:35 AM by Jacob Bugge RSS

Best Illustrator method to make a logo background "transparent..."

I have seen that there are several posts regarding "transparent backgrounds," but but they're difficult to follow. I apologize if this is old territory. If there is a solution somewhere already, I'd appreciate your pointing me towards it.

I'm using AI within CS5.5 but new to it. I am importing/converting a JPG file to vector format. The image is a logo with a large black circle boundry and a white opaque background. The background elements inside the boundry circle are also opaque white, and I wish to leave that as is. The edges of the circle touch the  boundries of the JPG file tangentially by about 100px or so on each side when the JPG is viewed at original size.

My objective is to make everything outside the boundry circle a "transparent" background. What would be the best/easiest way to do this within AI? Is there, for example, a tool that will draw a circle that I can expand to get on the edge of the black boundry circle, and then make everything outside it transparent?

Thanks very much.