19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2012 3:04 PM by jahmer

Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"

jahmer Level 1

This is a new system build. win 7 pro service pack1 with an i7, with ssd's and 48 gig ram. CS 6.03 with mercury playback enabled. I came from cs4.

I have 2 quadro CX cards (not sli). I don't know which version of cuda they have, but I have run the nvidia Smart Scan and its says my drivers are up to date. The current drivers are 9.18.13.697 (from device properties or 306.97 from the smart scan).

Premeire loads and I can do a little editing, but the message

"Nvidea open GL Driver detected a problem with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close.

Error code 3."

which shuts down premeire, and in another instance, I got the BSOD.

Where do I go from here?

Is there a firmware update on the CX cards? How can I tell which version of cuda it is using?

• 1. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Search the forum I believe I have seen that problem on the forum before and maybe it is related to the earlier problems.  Very few people on the forum have CX cards let alone two of them.  In the 1060 (today) submissions we have never recieved the PPBM5 results from any CX user

Incidently on this forum it is nvidia not nvidea to properly search for results.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Slight correction Bill, we have 4 submissions with a CX card, the best one at rank # 393 after today's additions.

Jahmer, try removing one of the CX cards and see if that solves the problem. Having two installed does nothing for performance, since PR can only use one, but it can be the cause of the error you get, depending on driver and setup.

• 3. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
              jahmer Level 1

I tried removing one cx card and still get the message.

I purchased a geforce gtx 680 which has 4 monitor support. In premiere, I started loading many effects on a clip and could see the gpu & memory being used with good results.

However with AE, in the gpu monitor didn't even get past 1% with no memory usage. The batch comp renders where at least 10x longer. When I switched to ray tracing and tried to put a bevel effect on an extruded 3d text, it moved to a crawl as no cuda cores were apparently used.

I tried to put on the geforce to quadro soft patch. But the device ID of a 680 has no counterpart quadro (10de).

Quick recap for anyone else in my shoes

1) CX with 2000 failed to bootstap. Probably due to different types of memory (gddr3 and gddr5).

2) 2 cx's have fatal isues both AE (raytrace) and Pr (in mercury engine with cuda on).

3) Single CX has fatal issue in AE (raytrace) and didn't bother testing in Pr. I need 4 monitors.

4) geforce 680 works very well in Pr, but worthless in AE (both ray tracing and classic rendering). Gens took 10x longer.

5) Currently attempting 4 monitors with 2 quadro 2000s.

So after paying one restocking fee on my returned quadro 2000 the first time around when I tried to get it to work with my existing CX card (fail), I have ordered 2 more quadro 2000's and will try again. I now I will have to pay a restocking fee for the 680.

In sum, 2 monitors is easy, but getting 4 monitors with cuda support at a reasonable price has always been a pita.

• 4. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Raytracing Acceleration has been working on the 680GTX from reports I have seen. Your 680GTX should be working fine. Did you completely uninstall the Quadro drivers before installing the Geforce driver? What Geforce driver version did you use? I would not return the 680GTX. If there is a bug in the current AE update it will be fixed at some point because this was working before and working as well as the Quadros.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
                  jahmer Level 1

I removed all the drivers (including regedit). No trace of Nvidia after I got done. Reinstalled drivers for 680gtx. Results were the same. Everything work in PR and AE, but AE renders in the render queue don't use the gpu. Result is 10X longer render times, if not more. Scrubbing the timeline with raytracing also seems a little slower than a quadro card.

So I purchased a couple of quadro 2000d cards. Everything works. I did a little benchmarking if anyone is interested. I created a 3sec clip with 3d motion tracking with extruded text (with bevel) and a light source tracked to the 3d movement.

Render times

1 gtx680            > 0% gpu usage, 940 second render ( all cpu at 92% on 4.4ghz with 48 g ram)

1 quadro 2000d > 70% gpu usage, 74 second render

2 quadro 2000d>  40% gpu usage, 54 second render.

So a second card reduced the render about 30% in this test case.

Just to recap, the quadro cx cards rendered fast, but couldn't handle the beveling of text and raytracing crashing.

Now I get to sell 2 quadro cx cards on ebay and pay a restocking fee on my 680. 4 monitors for motion graphics suck. Always has.

The last month has seen 6 different video cards go through this machine. But the drama is over. 

Thanks to all that replied. It was greatly appreciated!

• 6. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

This does not sound right from the perspective of PR. Not talking about AE at this moment. The GTX 680 is at least three times faster than a Quadro 2000, likely around 5 times faster.

AE can use two video cards, so there you may have a benefit from two slow cards over one fast card, even though I doubt it.

• 7. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"

I would like to download your AE Comp and check here. The 680GTX was working fine with the Ray tracer shortly after release.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
                        jahmer Level 1

PR worked fine with GTX. In fact, it was exceptional in real time scrubbing!

I don't recall if I testing actual encoding using the gpu. This issue for me was AE rendering queue.

• 9. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
                          jahmer Level 1

EC, is send you a zip file.

• 10. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
                            jahmer Level 1

I attached a zip file. Let me know.

Just to be clear, the gtx works fine in ae, its just the render that doesn't use the gpu. I use the "gpu meter" gadget for windows sidebar to monitor the progress.

Let me know your results.

• 11. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you check that the file 'raytracer_supported_cards.txt' in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files does show your video card?

What does the sensor screen of GPU-Z show during rendering? For the GTX 680, did you try with driver version 310.54?

On a side note, if you want to have better system performance, uninstall the sidebar completely., as well as MSN, fax services, and crap like that.

• 12. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
                                jahmer Level 1

No I didn't. but for anyone else here is what the file contains.

GeForce GTX 285

GeForce GTX 470

GeForce GTX 570

GeForce GTX 580

Quadro CX

Quadro FX 3700M

Quadro FX 3800

Quadro FX 3800M

Quadro FX 4800

Quadro FX 5800

Quadro 2000

Quadro 2000D

Quadro 2000M

Quadro 3000M

Quadro 4000

Quadro 4000M

Quadro 5000

Quadro 5000M

Quadro 5010M

Quadro 6000

Tesla C2075

So GTX680 is not listed as of the time I purchased and installed (and upgraded) cs6. This list also states that the cx card is supported, but crashes when using extruded beveled text in ray tracing.

I don't recall what driver was used, but it was the one that shipped with the card.

I used "gpu meter gadget" for real time monitoring, not gpu-z.

• 13. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Update the driver from the nVidia website. If you include beta drivers in your search, you will find 310.54 at least for the 680.

2. Update CS6 to the latest version, including AE.

3. If the text file still does not show the GTX 680, something with your update went wrong. Modify the text file to include a line stating 'GeForce GTX 680' without the quotes.

4. Restart AE and test if the render times are better now.

• 14. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"

Harm is correct, the updates to AE should include the 670 and 680GTX to the list. I have never seen that not show up after an update. Did you copy that file from somewhere else?

Eric

ADK

• 15. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
                                      jahmer Level 1

OK. That .txt file was dated 3/24/2012 and my version of AE was 11.0.0.378

I have run an update and now the version is 11.0.2.12 and the .txt file is dated 9/19/2012 and looks like

GeForce GTX 285

GeForce GTX 470

GeForce GTX 570

GeForce GTX 580

GeForce GTX 670

GeForce GTX 680

GeForce GTX 690

Quadro CX

Quadro FX 3700M

Quadro FX 3800

Quadro FX 3800M

Quadro FX 4800

Quadro FX 5800

Quadro 2000

Quadro 2000D

Quadro 2000M

Quadro 3000M

Quadro 4000

Quadro 4000M

Quadro 5000

Quadro 5000M

Quadro 5010M

Quadro 6000

Tesla C2075

So apparently I did NOT have the most current version of AE.

EC, can you do a quick render of the file I sent you. If it works for you, then I will reinstall my 680 and redo the test. I was just ready to drop the  680 box off at ups. I will wait until I test this latest update.

• 16. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Now update your video drivers to 310.54 as instructed.

• 17. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
                                          jahmer Level 1

OK, I have reinstalled the 680 and reloaded the drivers that came with it. I thought I would give it try before updating the video drivers.

Results.

from 54 seconds using 2 quadro 2000d cards to 14 seconds!!

Success.

I will update drivers now and report back.

Thanks again for the help!!

• 18. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

That sounds much more plausible.

• 19. Re: Error "Nvidea Open GL Driver detected problem"
                                              jahmer Level 1

Ok the final results.

14 seconds for the drivers that came with the card.

The renders were within a second for 306.23 and 310.54.

For Pr and Ae crowd, the gtx680 should put a dent into quadro sales (assuming you have the latest updates lol). And no need for any "hacks".

Case closed. Thanks again.