10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 9:17 AM by the_wine_snob

Problem combining slideshow and PRE project onto DVD with menu

Rick Greywolf

I have PSE/PRE9 and am trying to combine 2 slide shows from PSE witha PRE project (prel file), but cannot get this to work.

If I start with the slideshows and select "creat DVD with menu" so far so good, but then try to add the PRE project, I get "file not supported or required codec not installed".

If I start with the PRE project (video and stills combined) and try to add the slideshows through "get media" I get the same response.

This doesn't make sense as the PDF help file states that slideshows can be combined with  video projects.

I can't see why slideshow files are not supported, when clearly they are as I wouldn't be able to move a slideshow from PSE to PRE individually.

A similar problem occurs if I take 1 slideshow to PRE for DVD burn and then try to add another in the get media section. This occurs whichever slideshow I move first.

I didn't have this problem when working with PSE/PRE8 and Vista and 3G memory. The difference now is that  it's PRE/PSE9 windows 7 and 4G of memory.

Does anyone know if I'm making a basic mistake that I just cannot see - quite possible considering my lack of expertise. Could somethingv have changed when I moved to Windows 7 (PSE/PRE 9 was already installed)?

• 1. Re: Problem combining slideshow and PRE project onto DVD with menu
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The PREL files are PrE Project files, and are not AV files.

From PSE, you can Send to Premiere Elements, and that will then Open the SlideShow in PrE.

As I create my SlideShows in another Adobe program, I am guessing a bit here, but I think that you will need to Send to Premiere Elements, for each of those SlideShows. To combine them, you would Publish/Share each SlideShow Project, and then start a new Project, where you would Import the two output AV files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problem combining slideshow and PRE project onto DVD with menu
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you say you're "trying to combine 2 slide shows from PSE witha PRE project" do you mean that you've created a slideshow in the Elements Organizer and you're trying to port it over to Premiere Elements? (Photoshop Elements does not create slideshows.)

If so, as Bill says you should ouput the slideshow using the option to Send to Premiere Elements. When you do, your slideshow will be sent directly to the Premiere Elements timeline without being packaged as a WMV or PDF.

• 3. Re: Problem combining slideshow and PRE project onto DVD with menu
              Rick Greywolf Level 1

Hi thanks for the reply. I have followed (hopefully) your instructions, unfortunately unsuccessfully.

This is what I have done.

I have 2 slideshows produced using PSE. They are psess files ( I'm not sire of the relevance of the file types, but am discovering that PE produces several types and is particular about what it accepts).

I then used edit with PRE as it was the only way I could find to cross the files over to PRE. I saved them individually (PREL files) without doing any work on them.

I then opened a new project and tried to import these 2 new PREL files and the original PREL file I used get media to attempt this .

When I used "get media" from Files and Folders I was limited to PRE Auto-Save, PRE Preview files (.PRV), Encoded files , Layouts and Styles. This is if I select All Supported Media in Files of Type. The PRV files do not match my search so no joy there. The auto save are PREL files, but when selected and imported, I get this type of file is unsupported or the required codec is not installed

As PREL files must be supported , as that's how theproject is saved, then I can only assume that the codec is not right. I have no idea what codec is and how I would know if it's right or not.

I notice that when trying to get media and opening the Files of Type  box; under all supported media PREL files are not included. Does this mean that PRE does not support it's own files?

I saw that wmv files are supported and there is an option to save slideshows as wmv files. I tried this and found that I then can import the slideshows into a prel project if they are wmv files. As I couldn't convert the original PREL project to wmv, I opened this project in PRE and imported the 2 slideshows as wmv files and changed the name. This seems to have worked. I now wonder if the project is going to be too big to write to a DVD without my pc running out of memory.

It's still odd that slideshows as PSESS files can be collectively moved to PRE and a DVD withe menu produced. But when moved individually and then tried to combine , or to an existing PREL file project, PRE throws up it's arms and gives -in. Do adobe have an explanation?

Trusting that this will now work, thanks for the clue on how to make the files compatible with each other.

Regards

Richard 

• 4. Re: Problem combining slideshow and PRE project onto DVD with menu
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Once again, you can NOT create slideshows in Photoshop Elements. You are working in the Elements Organizer.

That said, have a Premiere Elements project open when you use the Slide Show Creator's Output/Edit in Premiere Elements. The slideshow will appear as a file on your Premiere Elements timeline. Do not select the option to create a WMV file and do not try to open the .pse file in Premiere Elements. If you are using the same version of the Elements Organizer and Premiere Elements, the program will port it from the Organizer to Premiere Elements automatically.

You can then right-click on it and select Break Apart Slideshow if you'd like to edit it further.

• 5. Re: Problem combining slideshow and PRE project onto DVD with menu
                  Rick Greywolf Level 1

Ok Thanks for that.

I use the same version of PSE and PRE (9)

Alright, so I can't create a slideshow in Photoshop Elements. But I start from PSE so that's why I say it.

How I create a slideshow is to open  the create button in PSE (after opening PSE and selecting Organize) and select Slide Show. The resulting slideshow with music appears in the Organizer section and can be opened and edited from there. I'm not aware that PRE opens at this time.

I can then select DVD with menu  under Create or Burn Video DVD under Share. Either way PSE opens and I am asked to name a new project. The PRE screen appears with the slideshow in Sceneline.  If I transfer 1+ slideshow they all appear in the sceneline. If I transfer 1 and then try to add another using get media, I hit a brick wall - the only choices available are PRE Auto save, PRE Preview files, Encoded files, Layouts and Styles.

The PRE preview files option is a blank.

The auto save is empty (unless all files is selected). This will display relevant slideshows in PREL format and are not supported, so cannot be added.

Encoded files are in PREL format and have 0 bytes so therefore of no use.

Layouts and Styles obviously not relevant.

So I can't find the media I want  using supported files. If I select all files then the unsupported files message appears.

Now, using your approach. I presume that a slideshow is ported automatically and is given the same file name as the slideshow but with a different file type.

In PRE I opened open project  in File, selected a relevant file which opened ok. I then wanted to add another slideshow. I could not find any route that would let me do this. This is the main problem that I'm encountering. I cannot add slideshows together in PRE to make a DVD. This is frustrating as Adobe state that it's possible to do this. In fact it's necassry as files become too large if they are initially made under just one slideshow (program freezing and not enough memory faults).

Incidentally I hadn't met the break apart slideshow before. That could be very useful.

The only way so far that I have combined slideshows with video projects is to convert the slideshows to wmv files. Why do you say not to do this?

Richard

• 6. Re: Problem combining slideshow and PRE project onto DVD with menu
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The PREL (Project) files are just the Project files. They contain no media, so cannot be Imported, but only Opened in PrE. This article goes into much more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3397716#3397716.

You can Open each of your two PREL files in PrE, as a Project. To get them into an Importable format, an AV file, you will need to Export/Share/Publish those Projects to an AV format, for editing, and combining.

There are several choices for doing this, and they will depend on exactly what you have. If your SlideShows, sent to Edit in PrE, are SD (Standard Definition), the outputting to a DV-AVI file would be ideal. If the SlideShows are HD (High Definition), say 1920 x 1080, there are other choices. Personally, I like Exporting/Sharing/Publishing to a lossless CODEC, like Lagarith, or UT Lossless (both free CODEC's, but either/both must be downloaded and installed on the computer), which will be wrapped in a MS AVI package. If one is on a Mac, then using the MOV format, with the Animation, or PhotoPNG, or PhotoJPEG CODEC's, would be a good choice too. This article goes into more detail on lossless intermediate files: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4103400#4103400.

Once one has output AV files from those two Projects (your situation), then THOSE AV files can be Imported into a new Project, to combine, or do additional editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problem combining slideshow and PRE project onto DVD with menu
                      Rick Greywolf Level 1

Thanks

I'll go for that. The slide shows in question are not HD. I'll try the lossless CODEC that you've suggested after reading the links.

thanks again

Richard

• 8. Re: Problem combining slideshow and PRE project onto DVD with menu
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For SD, Exporting/Sharing/Publishing to DV-AVI (with the DV/DVC CODEC on a PC), will be almost as good. Compression is ~ 5%, and is not visible.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Problem combining slideshow and PRE project onto DVD with menu
                          Rick Greywolf Level 1

Thanks for all the info and help. It worked using DV-AVI. The only issue now is writing the project to a DVD as I need to free up some memory. I have 4G and the file to burn is only 2.7G, but it still crashes with “low on memory”.

Richard

• 10. Re: Problem combining slideshow and PRE project onto DVD with menu
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Low Memory, or Resources can have several possible causes. This article mentions some: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3348081#3348081

Also, see this article on tuning up one's OS: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2910195#2910195

Good luck,

Hunt