8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2012 8:44 PM by dutotone

Problems with plugins after upgrading to win8

dutotone Level 1

Hi

I made the upgrade to Windows 8 and now several PS plugins causes Photoshop CS6 to "Stop Working And need to close". I have uninstalled

and reinstalled plugins and still the same problem. As this happens with different plugins from different vendors I am led to believe this is

not a 3rd party problem, but rather a problem with PS in win8. Happens with plugins from Niksoft and RedGiant. Needless to say I have

all the latest software and updates - legally purchased.

I haven't done much research into this, posting here is my first step after googeling didn't help. Is this a common problem? Does anyone

know a fix to this? It's of such importance that I am already considering reinstalling win7.

• 1. Re: Problems with plugins after upgrading to win8
          Curt Y Level 7

Many of the problems in Win 8 revolve around the video card driver.  If you have an older card there may not be an updated driver.  But that is first place I would check.

• 2. Re: Problems with plugins after upgrading to win8
            dutotone Level 1

Hey, thank you for your reply. It was also the first thing I updated - like I said all the latest software and updates. :-)

• 3. Re: Problems with plugins after upgrading to win8
              dutotone Level 1

This also happens while using certain plugins from AlienSkin, god damn this is useless.

Any solution to this Adobe?

• 4. Re: Problems with plugins after upgrading to win8
                Level 7

You need to report the problem with your plugins to the makers of those plugins.

They most likely will need some updates for Win8 (and general bug fixing for some of them).

Photoshop has no known crashing issues with Win8, just some annoying video driver glitches.

• 5. Re: Problems with plugins after upgrading to win8
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

Dutotone, you made me laugh.

You upgraded the OS and found that your non-Adobe, non-Microsoft add-on software, which worked, now doesn't work.

Then you go asking for "any solution" from the company whose software actually DOES work with the new OS.

I also have to wonder...  What on Earth made you want to upgrade to Windows 8, released mere days ago, without scoping out whether your existing software would be compatible first?

Have you ever heard the phrase "bleeding edge technology"?  Does it now become apparent why the word "bleeding" replaced "leading"?

-Noel

• 6. Re: Problems with plugins after upgrading to win8
                    dutotone Level 1

Noel: So you hereby declare it is not allowed to check if others have the same problem? It could very well be that this was a known issue with cs6 and win8 - with a known fix to it as it seems to occur with so many plugins.

Chris Cox answered my question though, thanks for a proper answer.

• 7. Re: Problems with plugins after upgrading to win8
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make light of your situation.  The question "Any solution to this Adobe?" just didn't seem quite the same to me as asking others whether they've seen and worked around the problem, and you do have every right to ask whether your expensive software suite should work on a common operating system.  It's just that the only person responsible for integrating it all together into a working setup is you.

-Noel

• 8. Re: Problems with plugins after upgrading to win8
                        dutotone Level 1

As an update on this,

After I installed the latest Windows Update system fix packages that were released today most of the plugins now work. I am not 100% sure I can credit MS with fixing this, as I fiddled with alot with my graphics card trying to make this work at the same time as I updated. I will have to do some more testing on this to able to say exactly what was the problem.

I'm installing win7+ps on a virtual machine so I can use that when absolutely needed for the plugins still not working - guess I can live with that until certain 3rd party vendors sort things out.

Allright Noel, I get your point  - but you have to be downright difficult to be reading my initial question as if I was seeking support on 3rd party software as such.