6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 3:00 PM by TheRossman

OSMF 2.0, Corrupt Video

TheRossman Level 1

Hi All,

Does anyone know what could cause the video to become corrupt like in the attached image?

Since upgrading to OSMF2.0 from our own custom AS3 player, we notice this happening with disturbing regularity.  The audio continues to play correctly and the time advances but the video goes all garbled.  Sometimes, if you leave it, it will come back on it's own.  Also, if you seek at or near the current playhead position, it will fix the problem.

Our content is multi-bitrate delivered over RTMP - but this problem does not appear to happen on a stream switch.

Initially I believed this to be a hardware acceleration/rendering issue, but even with OSMFSettings.enableStageVideo = false, this still occurs.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  We were hoping OSMF would be much more reliable than our custom player but this is a real showstopper for us 

Thanks,

mark

corrupt_osmf_video.jpg

• 1. Re: OSMF 2.0, Corrupt Video
          Silviu Vergoti Adobe Employee

Hi Mark,

Usually the artefacts are caused by encoding errors. Sometimes the codec in Flash player can recover them, sometimes not and they are shown on the screen until the next keyframe.

I would suggest to look at the error source on the encoding side.

S.

• 2. Re: OSMF 2.0, Corrupt Video
            TheRossman Level 1

Hi Silviu,

Thanks for the reply.  We are pretty sure this can't be an encoding issue because when we play the same content in other players, we don't see this issue.  We have been using the same encoders (Rhozet Carbon encoder) for years.  This only started happening with OSMF2.0 player that we deployed...    We use the same encoders/encoding profiles for all our sites and only the site that has the OSMF player is experiencing this.

Is there any other possible cause(s) for this issue?  Is there any way to analyse the encoded videos to determine if there is any issue with them (even though we do not believe this is the case, no harm ruling out)?

Thanks,

mark

• 3. Re: OSMF 2.0, Corrupt Video
              Silviu Vergoti Adobe Employee

Hi Mark,

does it appear in osmf 1.6?

can you share an example stream?

S.

• 4. Re: OSMF 2.0, Corrupt Video
                TheRossman Level 1

I will try re-publishing the player against OSMF 1.6 and see if this helps.

Our streams are from US studios so I cannot just post publicly, if you have a private FTP or drop location I don't see any reason we couldn't share them with you.

Thanks again,

mark

• 5. Re: OSMF 2.0, Corrupt Video
                  TheRossman Level 1

The problem seems to still happen on an OSMF 1.6 build 

Not sure why our regular "raw" AS3 player does not experience this....very strange.

Let me know if I can send you the mp4's, if that would help!  Email is below if you want to contact me directly.

Cheers,

mark

mark dot ross at shawmedia dot ca

• 6. Re: OSMF 2.0, Corrupt Video
                    TheRossman Level 1

Hi Silviu,

We have run the videos through multiple encoding profiles to eliminate encoding as a possible cause for this issue.

We have tried using both Quicktime Exporter (to export as h264/mp4) and also the new h264 Exporter.  We have also tried to different encoder boxes, one is v3.15 and the other is a brand spanking new v3.21 box.

This problem happens no matter what we try.  It is very weird that we only experience this issue in OSMF.  Previously had a custom AS3 player that used Adobe's older "DynamicStream" and "DynamicStreamItem" classes to faciliate MBR - you can find these classes here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/adobe-media-server-family/tool-downloads.html

as part of the "Adobe Media Server tools" package.  This player does not exhibit the issue.  We really want to move to OSMF to take advantage of some of the nice plugins (SMPTE-TT for captioning is huge for us) but I don't think I'll be able to justify making the switch if we can't solve this problem...seems kind of like a lose-lose situation 

Any further advice you might have would really be helpful!

Thanks,

mark