8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2012 11:49 AM by Ed.Macke

Placement of all graphics and scaled video´s reset to top corner

After a full day of editing I saved the project, rendered the video and closed the app. Today I start the app to do some changes and all the graphics and scaled video's that I had positioned throughout the video have been reset to the top corner of the video. They are still scaled to the correct size but the layout is messed up. It was a lot of work to built this project and now I can start all over.

Does anybody have any idea how/why this could have hapened?

system info

Premiere Elements 10.0 x64

fresh install, just did a pc upgrade

Win 7

no third party codecs and effects

no error messages

no third party hardware

core i5 3570K, 8GM RAM, SSD drive, no external graphics card

source material

- quicktime lossless YUV

- quicktime mpeg-4 AVC

- PNGs from PS CS6

The layout I made concists of a 1920x1080 PNG backdrop i created in PS CS6 with a 'picture in picture' of the two different video files and besides that a 'slideshow' of scaled png files synced to the video.

• 1. Re: Placement of all graphics and scaled video´s reset to top corner
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be your source video. Technically version 10 doesn't fully support MP4s. What model of camcorder is this video coming from?

When you started your project, which project settings did you select? (You can see your project settings under the Edit menu.)

Or it could be the formats or locations of your graphics files. Are your video and graphics all located on your C drive or on a second external drive?

• 2. Re: Placement of all graphics and scaled video´s reset to top corner
            54685468685468465 Level 1

project settings: HD1080i 29,97 FPS

I should have chosen progressive as i have interlacing problems now but that should not have to do anything with this problem right?

The MP4 is coming from an ipad3, the other source video is from a professional broadcast camera and was sent to me (dont know make and model). Al content is on my secondary internal SATA (D:) drive. My system drive is SSD.

the graphics are basic rectangle png files without alpha.

• 3. Re: Placement of all graphics and scaled video´s reset to top corner
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In order to work with MP4 files and not get this kind of weirdness, you'll probably need to upgrade to version 11.

Technically version 10 is not MP4-enabled, so you're working with a hybrid project settting.

• 4. Re: Placement of all graphics and scaled video´s reset to top corner
                54685468685468465 Level 1

Thanks, I didnt know that...

I tried to reproduce this problem with a new project file but no 'success'. Now I am a bit scared to start from scratch as it might happen again...

As for upgrading to 11, this may be a good excuse to download the trial for premiere pro CS6.

I am an advanced user of photoshop CS6 and illustrator CS6 but not a very experienced video editor. In your opinion, is it a big step from elements to pro? Or is it relatevely easy to use when not using the most advanced features?

• 5. Re: Placement of all graphics and scaled video´s reset to top corner
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

In your opinion, is it a big step from elements to pro? Or is it relatevely easy to use when not using the most advanced features?

That is a good question, and one, for which, there is no easy answer.

PrPro does some things differently, and it offers so very much more power, but that comes at a price - not only for the purchase of the program, but in the form of a learning curve.

Much more in PrPro is done "by hand," with fewer "easy buttons." However, once one gets past that difference, and learns the techniques, and terminology (some big differences there), I find PrPro to be an easy program to work with. I strongly recommend that one spend time with as many learning resources, as possible. This would be a good starting point: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878529?tstart=0. As a matter of fact, reading almost all of the FAQ Entries, in that sub-forum would be helpful. I even have to read and watch a bit, just to help out in the PrPro CS 6 Forum, as some terminology, and some once common actions have changed, from previous versions of PrPro.

I cannot really comment on how easy/hard it is, as I started with Pinnacle, went to AVID Liquid, then to PrPro. For me, it was an easy transition, plus I had years of shooting and editing film, from S-8 to 35mm, before I picked up my first digital NLE (Non Linear Editor) program. Other than getting my head around digital, the rest was easy. Once I got a few concepts nailed down, I was totally thrilled, as I could easily do things, that were impossible in my film career. Then, to confuse things for me, I picked up PrE very late in the game, because it could do some things with consumer formats, that PrPro stumbled on. I mostly use PrE to create Projects, that help me help others in this forum, and do most of my actual editing in PrPro, so I had a bit of a learning curve, when first picking up PrE. I found this forum, and the regulars, to be wonderful in helping me learn how PrE differed from PrPro. Still, that transition, while not complete in any way, was pretty easy - there ARE many similarities between the two programs, though there are some differences.

I hope that Ed Macke, a regular here over the years, will chime in, as he's just moved from PrE to PrPro, and will have much more insight, than I possibly could.

Personally, I would not trade in my PrPro, but that is because it's an "old friend," that made me a lot of money, and allowed me to have great fun doing so. I also like the general layout of PrPro (much more similar to the old PrE 3.0), and get "drunk" on the power, that it provides. Being the "control freak," that I am, the price of doing more things by hand, is a tiny price to pay for the control that comes with it.

Good luck, and wish that I had a simple "Yes," or "No" answer for you.

As a PS, so many are singing the praises of PrE 11, that it appears to me to be one of the best, most powerful versions yet. I should have my copy installed, and ready to be tested, before Dec..

Hunt

• 6. Re: Placement of all graphics and scaled video´s reset to top corner
                    Ed.Macke Level 3

Hey, I'm here!

Yes, I recently went from Premiere Element v7 to Premiere Pro CS6 (actually the Production Premium CS6 Suite).

Now, I like learning as much as I can about tools like this before I start using them. While there's something to be said for just playing around, I've found over the years that if you start off not doing things "correctly", you can develop a lot of bad habits, or even set yourself up for failure later on. I mention that because so far I've done much, much learning (training videos, forums, books, etc.) and just a little playing.

Now, having said that... overall I would say the learning curve is as much or as little as you want to make it.

Many of the basic concepts will port from Elements to Pro - ingesting video, using the timeline, basic editing concepts, adding transistions, etc. The interface for doing so may look different (or at least it's different going from Elements 7 to Pro CS6, maybe Elements 10 is closer to CS6?), but you're still doing the same thing just in a slightly different way.

However, many of the things that make Pro, well... Pro, *do* require a learning curve, or even a complete re-think of how you do things. But the payoff is that once you learn those things, you can do things easier, do things quicker, and in many cases do things you just can't do in Elements.

For example, I just had a recent stumbling block trying to figure out what a Pro "sequence" was, since there is no such thing in Elements. Turns out (and my apologies if I mangle this, I'm still learning... ) you can conceptually think of taking an Elements timeline, with video, audio, effects, etc. and packaging it into a "sequence". This sequence can be copied, pasted, re-used, linked to multiple projects, etc. This kind of thing can fundamentally change how you do things, but once you wrap your head around, the power of such a thing becomes pretty impressive. Now, how much you want to learn and use something like that dictates how big the learning curve is going to be.

Another example, maybe more relevant to the original post, is Adobe's Prelude product (comes with the Production Premium suite). To me, this is similar in concept to Adobe's Lightroom in that Prelude allows you to ingest your video assets, make "rough cuts" (i.e. optionally specify in/out points, assemble a rudimentary timeline/storyboard), attach comments / keywords / etc. to the video. Then, when you're done you pass the whole thing over to Premiere Pro.

The part that might appeal to the O.P. is that another thing Prelude can do is transcode everything before it sends it over! So if you have some h.264, DV-AVI, mp4 files coming in, Prelude can convert them all to a common output (of your choice) on the fly, so that when Premiere Pro starts up it's using video that's all in the same format. How cool is that?!?!

Now, again, you don't *have* to use Prelude, so the extent that you want to will dictate your learning curve. The same thing would apply to Audition (the sound editor), Photoshop, etc. Seems like every product in CS6 is all linked together!

One thing that I haven't tried yet is DVD creation. In Elements, it's built into the product, but in CS6 it's a separate product (Encore). I believe (like almost everything in CS6) you can just pass your project from Premiere Pro to Encore, so it's similar in concept to Elements, but I don't know how easy/hard it is to use.

So I guess the moral of the story is that for me, the learning curve has been pretty steep, but in large part that's because I've made it that way. I want to learn every nook and cranny of the tool. But I think you could survive pretty well using only your Elements skills and an open mind, too.

BTW, if you're thinking about taking the CS6 plunge, I like to remind everybody about Adobe's very generous academic pricing policy. If you're a student in any grade kindergarten through college, or if you're the parent of a student, or of course a teacher, you can get an academic discount. I got the Student and Teacher Edition of the Production Premium CS6 Suite for $430 (normally $1,900). Adobe also has a new "Cloud" subscription that actually looks pretty cool if you want to stay current (you can get student pricing for the cloud version, too).

Good luck!

• 7. Re: Placement of all graphics and scaled video´s reset to top corner
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Thank you for you insightful input. Hope that it will help the OP make the decision.

Appreciated,

Hunt