7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 7:43 AM by Helpme123asdf

InDesign CS6 crashing in packaging process

MazWakefield

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with InDesign crashing during the 'packaging' process. Here are the details:

System:

iMac running 10.6.8 OS

Version: CS6 8.0.1

Issue:

When packaging, after ive gone through, agreed to the warning blah blah its starts packaging. Sometimes it gets to packaging the links then crashes half way through, but most of the time it only gets as far as packaging the fonts then crashes. Ive sent crash reports, I've updated, I'v saved as different names in different locations, I've called adobe and sat on hold for 30 mins before i got impatient and hung up. Ive found its also running super slow - it takes a few seconds to highlight text or object and even longer to copy and paste.

Bottom line, I need to be able to send the package to another colleague so its very frustrating. I've also tried exporting an .idml file and package that in CS5.5, but it didnt work either. We pay an absolute fortune for this software in Australia - it should work!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing in packaging process
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you use any "illegal" characters in your path names? That includes things like slashes, asterisks, colons, and per cent signs, pretty much anything but alphanumerics, hyphen, and underscore.

Very long path names can fail as well. One test is to copy everything to the local drive and see if that allows packaging (update links to the local copies).

• 2. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing in packaging process
            MazWakefield Level 1

Hi Peter,

We keep all our files on a Mac Leopard Server. There are no 'illegal' characters in paths, but your suggestion to copy to local worked. but this is a bit of a pain to do everytime i need to package (which is pretty much every time!) and ive worked of this server using the same file structure for a couple of years now and never had this problem until installing CS6 last week.

Heres what im working with (maybe you can see an issue that i can't):

InDesign file sits at: Leopard Server/Folder Name/2012/WORKBOOKS/Folder Name/FileName_021112.indd

Link files sits at: Leopard Server/Folder Name/2012/WORKBOOKS/Source Files/Stock Images/File_00111255.jpg

Thoughts?

Thankyou!

• 3. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing in packaging process

I'm hardly an expert on Mac networking, but perhaps ID is having trouble with the server mapping.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing in packaging process
                Helpme123asdf

I'm having the same problem.

Running Mac OS X 10.6.8

Indesign CS6

Indesign is crashing during the packaging process.

Please fix this asap, Adobe.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing in packaging process

You might be having the same problem, or it could be something different that looks similar. Posting your crash report on pastebin.com (NOT here) and giving us a link might help to determine what happened.

Also, since this topic was first posted some other users have discovered that locked fonts can cause this.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing in packaging process
                    PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

Crashing during packaging is not a fixed process. There may be a numerous reason why InDesign is crashing during packaging process. To determine the root cause, you always will have to isolate the issue using binary isolation technique (breaking the InDesign document and rebuilding it step by step through hit and trial for crash). I can look into your documents and links and find out the reasons for crash if you can provide me the documents link from Dropbox website after uploading the files there. I would also like to take a look into the crash log if you paste the crash data in Pastebin.com and post the link to the crash log here.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS6 crashing in packaging process
                      Helpme123asdf Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I think I have found out what caused my Indesign to crash. I had an image that cointained the swedish character ä in its file name. When I renamed that file to a non-swedish character, then it worked to pack the Indesign document.