4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2006 6:58 PM by Wynnefield

Need your help with a Photoshop/Dreamweaver/Flash template

MonkinJack
      Hello All: I purchased Monster Template # 6061 ($56) because I liked the look of it; it uses Photoshop slices (which I am learning about in Photoshop CS2) and Flash (which I find fascinating but have no interest in learning.) My Flash needs are small and I feel I can find a colleague to help me with this discipline.

I recently purchased Adobe Creative Suite 2 with the intention of learning Photoshop CS2 and using Adobe's GoLive appl to modify the template but recently read that Adobe will soon abandon GoLive in favor of Dreamweaver. So, I gave up on GoLive and have purchased Dreamweaver 8. My last Dreamweaver work was done in release 6.

I found a few discussion topics in this "Dreamweaver General Discussion" category on the slices topic and am assuming that this is the correct place for this: my first post to the forum. If this is incorrect, I would appreciate any direction you can give on this and advice on the best way to address my planned changes to my purchased template.

While I continue to search for FAQ, forum rules and etc. on this forum, I thought I would begin by asking a few questions even before I fully understand the forum code of conduct:

- Has anyone used the Photoshop/Dreamweaver combination to modify a purchased template?
      o If yes, did you use the slices as delivered or re-slice?
      - How much of the visual did you create in Photoshop VS using a dreamweaver table?
      - Any pluses/minuses you can share regarding updateability etc.?

My day job is as an Information Technology Trainer for CACI Technologies, Inc. in Fairfax, VA and I am quite taken with the Photoshop products (Elements 3.0 & 4.0; Premiere Elements 1.0 & 2.0; CS2). My interest is Photoshop/Dreamweaver is strictly part time.

If anyone would like to share a telephone number for a real-time voice chat, I am happy to call you to do so (Continental US only). You can reach me at jgombola@cox.net or 703-785-4395. I look forward to sharing my knowledge with you and learning from you as well.

Thanks,
      Jack Gombola
        • 1. Re: Need your help with a Photoshop/Dreamweaver/Flash   template
          Level 7
          I doubt anybody will be able to help you specifically with that template.
          I have looked at it, and it is not something I would recommend using, by any means.

From the general point of view of this forum's user, I can safely say that this it is a very bad
          template. That point of view is not based on how the template looks, but on how it works, good
          coding practices, accessibility, and web-design / web-development common sense.

Flash navigation is a bad idea.
          Slice-centric layout is a bad idea.
          music playing in the background is a bad idea.
          Pretty much everything about this template will make a web-designer scream and run away as fast as
          possible.

Then there is nothing wrong with using such template if you have no intention whatsoever to learn
          how to build web pages by yourself, use healthy coding practices, and in the process to learn what
          makes an accessible, valid, useful web page/site.

IF you really want to use this template, there might be a forum dedicated to these templates on
          monstertemplate.com, you might want top ask your questions there.

Else, forget about this template, start afresh your own page layout in Dreamweaver, create your
          graphic elements in Photoshop, and come back here to get help with that process.

--
          seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
          http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design
          Downloads: Slide Show, Directory Browser, Mailing List
          • 2. Re: Need your help with a Photoshop/Dreamweaver/Flash template
            Level 7
            Jack,

You should perhaps check out the SiteGrinder plug-in for Photoshop (see my
            sig). It converts Photoshop designs to CSS based web sites, and it's a
            great go-between for Photoshop and DreamWeaver. A lot of our users get
            SiteGrinder to convert purchased templates. There's no slicing involved,
            so the workflow is easier and the final output is much better.

I've converted a few templates from templatesbox.com before, the Photoshop
            files I got were very well organized and readying the file for SiteGrinder
            was a two minute operation. If you need any assistance, just email us
            (help@medialab.com).

Chris Perkins
            Media Lab, Inc.
            http://www.medialab.com/sitegrinder

--
            Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
            • 4. Re: Need your help with a Photoshop/Dreamweaver/Flash   template
              Wynnefield
              quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
              Flash navigation is a bad idea.
              Slice-centric layout is a bad idea.
              music playing in the background is a bad idea.
              Pretty much everything about this template will make a web-designer scream and run away as fast as
              possible.

Then there is nothing wrong with using such template if you have no intention whatsoever to learn
              how to build web pages by yourself, use healthy coding practices, and in the process to learn what
              makes an accessible, valid, useful web page/site.

Nothing like beating someone when they're already down ... :(